Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope, Paul Stamets, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Ok ident people...
    #2142364 - 11/28/03 04:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've been hunting the net, local libraries, etc..and i have yet to find an identification entry to the following species:
Gymnopilus validipes
Gymnopilus luteus
Gymnopilus liquiritae
Gymnopilus aeruginosus

I have general identifications for the Gymnophilus mushrooms, but i was looking for exact species identification...any help is appreciated.
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Ok ident people... [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2142376 - 11/28/03 04:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
Re: Ok ident people... [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2143385 - 11/29/03 01:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

LATIN NAME(S) Gymnopilus liquiritiae (Pers. ex Fr.) Karsten Bidr. Finl. Nat. Folk 32: 400. 1879; Fulvidula liquiritiae (Pers. ex Fr.) Romagn.
ENGLISH NAME(S) bitter Gymnopilus
NOTES member of Arora's sapineus group; distinguishing features of liquiritiae according to Hesler include bald striate distinctly colored cap, orange to tawny flesh, yellow gills, lack of veil, and caulocystidia in tufts; description derived from Hesler except where noted; found at least in OR, ID, also CA, FL, ME, MI, NC, NH, NM, NY, TN, VT, WY, Europe according to Hesler, and reported from BC and AB
CAP 2-8cm, convex then flattening, sometimes somewhat umbonate, (according to Schalkwijk-Barendsen fitting into available space because of close proximity); fulvous, "ochraceous-buff", "ochraceous-tawny", "zinc-orange", or "Kaiser brown", disc often "tawny", (according to Schalkwijk-Barendsen pale yellow orange at first, later orange brown); not viscid; bald or with minute brown waxy dots, margin becoming striate
FLESH pale orange to tawny yellow
GILLS adnate then adnexed, seceding, close or crowded, broad to medium broad; "ochraceous-buff" to "light orange yellow", finally "ochraceous orange" to "ochraceous tawny" to "zinc-orange", at times reddish-brown spotted; edges fringed, (Hesler), gold-yellow to pale buff orange at first, then orange brown (Schalkwijk-Barendsen)
STEM (1)3-7cm x (0.2)0.3-0.8(1.0)cm, often off-center, tapering upward or tapering downward, hollow; pallid or dingy orange, top whitish or yellowish scurfy; fibrillose to more or less bald
VEIL absent
ODOR mild or slightly aromatic, fragrant or of raw potatoes
TASTE bitter
EDIBILITY
HABITAT more or less cespitose (tufted) on conifer wood and sawdust, occasionally hardwood, (Hesler), in tight clusters on old wood, often burned wood (logs which were burned in past forest fires) (Schalkwijk-Barendsen)
SPORE DEPOSIT "raw sienna" to "antique brown"
MICROSCOPIC spores 7-8.5(10) x 4-5.5 microns, elliptic, finely warty, no germ pore, ferruginous in KOH, dextrinoid; basidia 4-spored, (20)25-32 x 4-6 microns; pleurocystidia inconspicuous, 20-30 x 4-7 microns, clavate, cylindric, or subventricose, capitate to non-capitate; cheilocystidia 20-40 x 3-6 microns, flask-shaped, capitate or non-capitate; pileocystidia 32-54 x 3-6 microns, clavate to cylindric; caulocystidia often in tufts, 27-48(105) x 3-7 microns, filamentous or ventricose; clamps present
NAME ORIGIN liquiritiae means "with the quality of licorice"
SIMILAR like bellulus which is smaller and has smaller spores; like picreus which has rufous to bay or cinnamon-brown cap, finely scaly disc and generally smaller size, (Hesler)
SOURCES Hesler(2), Schalkwijk-Barendsen*, Arora, Redhead(5)
FAMILY Cortinariaceae of Order Agaricales
-----------------------------
LATIN NAME(S) Gymnopilus aeruginosus (Peck) Singer Lilloa 22: 560. 1951; Pholiota aeruginosa Peck
ENGLISH NAME(S) magic blue gym
NOTES distinctive features are scaly cap with tinges of blue-green, pink, vinaceous-red, and/or other colors, yellowish gills, growth on wood, and rusty orange spores; estimated to be moderately active as hallucinogen; at least BC, WA, OR, ID, Hesler studied material from WA, ID, CA, MI, NC, PA, TN, on foray lists from BC, Stamets gives also OR, OH, central to northern Europe, and Japan
CAP (2)5-15(23)cm, convex to nearly flat; hygrophanous, at first dull blue-gray-green or variegated with green, yellow, salmon red or vinaceous and/or other colors, sometimes fading to buff or pinkish buff when old; dry, covered with small tawny to reddish to dark brown scales, fibrillose-scaly (or cracked when old), (Arora), 2-5cm, more rarely 6-23cm, convex; at first dull bluish gray-green, or aeruginous to variegated green and yellow, at times with patches of salmon or livid red, becoming "warm buff" to "pinkish buff", or at times brown or drab, especially when dried; dry, fibrillose-scaly, becoming rimose-areolate (cracked like mud), each areola with 2-8 cushion-like to fibrillose scales, or sometimes squamulose (finely scaly) without areolae, the scales tawny or blackish, margin even, (Hesler), becoming warm pinkish buff then drab brown when dried (Phillips)
FLESH pallid or whitish, tinged greenish, or dull bluish green, when dry becoming yellowish to vinaceous, (Hesler), whitish tinged blue or green, (Arora), drying yellowish or pinkish brown, (Phillips)
GILLS adnexed to adnate or slightly decurrent, often seceding, close; buff to yellow-orange or ochre, (Arora), adnexed to adnate, often at first decurrent by a line, frequently seceding, crowded or close, broad to medium broad, numerous subgills; "cream buff" to "pale ochraceous orange", edges even to slightly rough, (Hesler)
STEM (3)5-12cm x (0.4)1-1.5(4)cm, more or less equal, similar color to cap; dry, smooth or fibrillose, (Arora), (3)5-12cm x (0.4)1.0-1.5(4.0)cm, equal, solid, becoming more or less hollow, at times 3-8 fruiting bodies connate (joined) at base; colored as cap; dry, appressed-fibrillose or bald, sometimes striate, (Hesler), sometimes lined with a hairy base, (Phillips)
VEIL yellowish, fibrillose, often scanty, leaving a fleeting zone of hairs at top of stem, (Arora), arachnoid (which implies cobwebby), yellowish, often scanty, fleeting, leaving a fleeting zone at top of stem, (Hesler)
ODOR mild, or can be oily farinaceous odor with slight anise component, (Hesler), none (Phillips)
TASTE bitter (Hesler, Arora, Phillips)
EDIBILITY no, (Phillips), hallucinogenic, (Arora, Stamets)
HABITAT in groups or clusters on stumps, logs or sawdust of hardwoods and conifers, (Arora), on hardwood and conifer wood (sawdust, timber, logs, stumps), (Hesler), in tufts on logs or stumps on hardwoods and conifers, (Phillips)
SPORE DEPOSIT rusty to rusty-orange or rusty-cinnamon, (Arora), "orange-rufous", "ferruginous", "xanthine-orange", or "cinnamon rufous", (Hesler), rusty brown (Phillips), rusty brown to rusty orange to rusty cinnamon (Stamets)
MICROSCOPIC spores 6-9 x 3.5-4.5 microns, elliptic, rough, (Arora), spores 6-8.5(9) x (3.5)4-4.5 microns, elliptic in face view, inequilateral in side view, verruculose (finely warty), no germ pore, ferruginous in KOH, dextrinoid; basidia 4-spored, 24-29 x 5-7 microns, basidioles sometimes present, 22-27 x 5-6 microns, clavate, brown; pleurocystidia rare, 23-35 x 5-7 microns, ventricose (wider in middle), cheilocystidia 20-38 x 3-9 microns, flask-shaped to ventricose, capitate, subcapitate, more rarely non-capitate, sometimes extending up the sides of the gill a short distance; clamp connections present, (Hesler)
NAME ORIGIN means 'greenish'
SIMILAR like luteofolius which has dark red or red brown cap which becomes pinkish or pale red to yellowish, and red cap flesh which becomes purple then lavender or yellow, (Hesler); like punctifolius which also has bluish gray-green, pinkish and reddish brown colors: among other differences, punctifolius has no veil and smaller spores
SOURCES Hesler(2), Arora, Phillips*, Stamets*
FAMILY Cortinariaceae of Order Agaricales

be thankful.
those are the two i have easily copied and pasted...
good luck.
peas...

Anonymous

Re: Ok ident people... [Re: floccopus]
    #2143908 - 11/29/03 09:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Ok ident people... [Re: ]
    #2143932 - 11/29/03 10:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'll second that one Mr. mushrooms
and for the posster of the thread, there are acutally 13 species of Gymnoipilus out of about seventy in the genera which have psilocine/psilocybine in them.

mj

mj

Basically I always ask people to not look for gyums or inocybes or pluteus. To easy to pick a poisonous varity.

Thats why I recommend that people pick shrooms with black spores and or chocolate-brown to purple-chocolate brown. and avoid any shrooms with white gills period.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (11/29/03 10:24 AM)

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Ok ident people... [Re: floccopus]
    #2144191 - 11/29/03 01:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

good man...i thank you for your time. I think i found the others, but it's going to be a nice long bit of cutting and pasting to get em in the right order and neat..
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Ok ident people... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2144202 - 11/29/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well Mj, i do understand your point...in hunting for the 12 some idents i got myself, i realized that the gymnophilus DO have quite a few poisonous varieties...but thankfully, i'm not picking em to eat. Just trying to get an overall idea of what fungus species grow in my area, so i'm grabbing idents on all the psychoactives (via the shroomery entry) and i've got a big-ass field guide on edibles i'm basically photocopying from the CC next door.
Besides, i've been unknowingly sauntering by more Panaeolus subbalteatus than i know what to do with...
neways,
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope, Paul Stamets, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification