Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
The Watcher

Loc: shambhala
Syd Barret solo albums
    #2141619 - 11/28/03 04:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Recent talk bout Barret reminded me of his two solo gems...

The Madcap Laughs (def. the best)

They're fascinating, and a bit disturbing... he's totally losing it and you can hear it. He even breaks down in some of the tracks. But there's fantastic music there.

The Madcap Laughs has by far the best tunes. Almost all the tracks are touched by his genius. Some are stunning, like Octopus (standout track imo), No Good Trying, Love You, No Man's Land, Dark Globe. Personally, special mention has to go to If It's In You, though others mightn't find it so interesting. It's the first solo Barret track I heard and it had me intrigued... it's barely a demo; just Syd with an acoustic, it breaks down, some of the singing is way off key and the timing is shit, but DAMN what a song! It's completely incoherent gibberish, the melody is daft and it doesn't really measure against some of the others on the album, but only someone completely frazzled by acid could come up with something as insane and unlikely as that song. And think what it could have been, properly recorded, with a band...

The lyrics are just a headfuck. Throughout.

I normally hate bonus tracks but these are really interesting. They show how unstructured the songs really were in Barret's head; he'd just sit down and record a version. He didn't even know the lyrics, he had them written on paper. In one version he actually stops mid-take to turn over the lyric sheet! And you hear it all!

"Barret" is much less enjoyable. He's just too messed up, it all sounds like he's finding it too hard, too distressing, and to be fair, the tunes aren't there in the same way that they had been. i never really listen to it, it's more for interest value. STill worth investigating if you're into it tho.

And when he sings, on Dark Globe, one of the best songs (on Madcap Laughs), "Won't you miss me, wouldn't you miss me at all?", in that voice, it just hits home what a great, tragic loss he was, without doubt the biggest of all such losses in pop.

Anyone into the Floyd or Barret should check out The Madcap Laughs. It paints a fascinating, if disturbing picture. Anyone else know it? I'd like to hear opinions.

let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Syd Barret solo albums [Re: mr_kite]
    #2141638 - 11/28/03 05:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe, thanks for the suggestions. I've always been really fascinated by the guy. :grin: I believe he is still alive, living in his house...

If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2141702 - 11/28/03 08:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Madcap Laughs is pretty good-not Floyd quality stuff-but good.

I don't know about Opul. I don't remember it that well but I think it just sounded like random psychotic noise.

People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #2141735 - 11/28/03 09:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i can't believe you didn't mention the song Baby Lemonade :grin: Rightly, or wrongly, Rolling Stone magazine(when it still had some credibility, about 30 some odd years ago) blew off the whole thing, with words to the effect of: "If nothing else this album clearly demonstrates the deleterious effects of too much acid" i think it was the shortest review of an album i ever read, although the review of Lou Reed's Berlin wasn't much longer.......or any less scathing either :grin: 

"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Syd Barret solo albums [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #2142248 - 11/28/03 03:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

.... except the Effervescent Elephant -- if I didn't know better I'd think he was trying to write a kids' song, but we all know he was somewhere on the planet Gonzo.

I kind of like Baby Lemonade, I can kind of relate to it.... Scarry, huh  :smirk:

Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2142489 - 11/28/03 05:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have all three albums and I really can't say I care too much for any of them. Although I would agree that "Madcap Laughs" is best.

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media