Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida
    #21405598 - 03/14/15 12:01 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2015/03/bill_would_outlaw_kratom_internets_new_favorite_drug_in_florida.php

Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida

Kratom, a plant in the coffee family, has been used for medicinal and recreational purposes in Southeast Asia for thousands of years. Chewing on its leaves provides a mild opium-like affect.

And, thanks to the internet, its found itself at the center of growing popularity in America. Mostly because its a technically legal way to get a little bit high. Well, a new bill wants to change that in Florida.

SB 0764 in the Senate and its House companion HB 0287 would add kratom to the list of controlled substances in Florida. The Senate version was filed by Republican Sen. Greg Evers.

Evers was moved to file the bill after Linda Mautner blamed her 20-year-old son's suicide on the substance. Last July, the Palm Beach County man jumped to his death from an overpass onto I-95. A mix of anti-depressants and the active ingredient of kratom were found in his system.

Kratom itself has never been documented as directly responsible for a death, and its effects on user's mental state are not well studied. Cases of psychosis and hallucinations have been reported but are rare. However, the drug's effects are generally thought to be mild. As Vocativ points out, users on the internet have made all sorts of claims about its effects, many of which contradict each other and some of which could be chalked up to a placebo effect.

The substance is generally not thought to be especially addictive.

It's currently sold openly on the internet and can be found in some stores.

Despite little being known about the substance, the effort to make it a Schedule I substance in Florida passed its first committee hearing yesterday after a narrow vote. According to the Palm Beach Post, some are concerned that the substance does not meet the criteria to be listed as a Schedule I substance and point to the fact that the federal government has not listed it as such. However, the DEA has added it to a watch list.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleo8u
Taxa Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW PA Flag
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: motaman] * 2
    #21405782 - 03/14/15 12:49 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Thank god, the criminalization of a relatively safe herb that can reduce dependence to pharmaceutical opioids is totally gonna make things better in the state most notorious for it's over prescription of opioids...

Edited by o8u (03/14/15 01:55 PM)

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: motaman] * 1
    #21405804 - 03/14/15 12:54 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Schedule-1 ?...fuckin' ayee man.

It's like reefer madness all over again, no joke, except now it's a leaf rather than a flower.

:nonono:

:drgonz:

The article was actually a reasonable one though, it didn't make kratom sound like the devils very own concoction of meth/heroin/bath salts/LSD like other articles & news stories have.

-OM

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: openmind] * 3
    #21406163 - 03/14/15 02:48 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

So to make a drug illegal all you need is one upset parent and no science?

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinewakenbake
rollin rollin rollin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21406211 - 03/14/15 03:06 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

There's a lot of big people fighting in florida for it...it's not even a felony at this point...it's a misdemeanor...but it's not finished yet I can 99 percent say it'll stay legal

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: motaman] * 2
    #21406348 - 03/14/15 03:29 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Is the mother also fighting to outlaw the anti-depressants found in his system?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: One Of Hours - Psychedelic Illusions

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21407790 - 03/14/15 06:05 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
So to make a drug illegal all you need is one upset parent and no science?

...and a retrograde state like Florida.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

Offlinethenutflush
Stranger

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #21409662 - 03/15/15 03:37 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting that pods have been able to fly under the radar for so long

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: thenutflush]
    #21409679 - 03/15/15 03:44 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

There was a crackdown on pods around 2010, that's when the media wrote some stories, Ebay banned them and as a result became harder to buy with a google search.

I agree though, as far as legal highs go poppy pods are legitimately one of the most dangerous, powerful and addictive plants for sale.

My main site went down in 2011 and I haven't been able to find a source for them since.  At the end of the day is kind of a good thing because I don't need anything getting in the way of my opioid maintenance, i'm almost free!

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineStealth1Vampire
VAmPiRES HELLA
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
    #21409856 - 03/15/15 05:18 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I never got to try Keaton. Or Kratom

InvisiblePrince Corum
of the Scarlet Robe

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: motaman]
    #21410613 - 03/15/15 11:29 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Like dissolves like.

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Usuaully out of this worl...
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: Prince Corum] * 1
    #21411792 - 03/15/15 04:51 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

WTF is with people man, every time they outlaw a drug, it's because one guy's death was maybe possibly not quite scientifically verifiably related to it. This shit wouldn't stand up in a courtroom, but it's good enough to fear monger and ban shit we have a RIGHT to use.

--------------------
I'm not a "revisionist" I'm someone who thinks being historically accurate is more important than being politically correct.
I'm not a "climate-denier" or "anti-vaxxer", I'm someone who actually looked at the science and considers the official views to be very questionable.
I'm not "anti-semitic" because I question the Israeli rich elite's role in our government.
I'm not a "pervert", I'm someone who questions the purpose of the religious institutions forcing their sexual pseudo-morality on the masses, and not following it themselves.
Being a "skeptic" in america has come to mean regurgitating a certain set of preordained "correct" views, without questioning them. I reject this absolutely.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: SeaShrooms] * 1
    #21413711 - 03/16/15 12:32 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Fear mongering is very, very powerful when it comes to enacting drug laws.  It has always been.  I can't think of one drug illegality that hasn't come from it. 

In this young man's death though, only one of the substances in his body had a commercial with a warning in which suicidal thoughts were a side-effect. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: One Of Hours - Psychedelic Illusions

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #21413857 - 03/16/15 01:12 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Not to mention, anti-depressants are scientifically known to cause suicidal thoughts, kratom is not. It's like when the media tried to blame bath salts for the guy who ate the homeless dudes face, nothing in his system but marijuana, he was just crazy...

--------------------
I'm not a "revisionist" I'm someone who thinks being historically accurate is more important than being politically correct.
I'm not a "climate-denier" or "anti-vaxxer", I'm someone who actually looked at the science and considers the official views to be very questionable.
I'm not "anti-semitic" because I question the Israeli rich elite's role in our government.
I'm not a "pervert", I'm someone who questions the purpose of the religious institutions forcing their sexual pseudo-morality on the masses, and not following it themselves.
Being a "skeptic" in america has come to mean regurgitating a certain set of preordained "correct" views, without questioning them. I reject this absolutely.

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Loc: In your brain
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: SeaShrooms]
    #21413875 - 03/16/15 01:14 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Marijuana makes you crazy.

:tard:

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: D.M.T]
    #21413909 - 03/16/15 01:21 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Or maybe, being born crazy makes you crazy XD

:glorious:

--------------------

Offline2bakednate
Connecting & Growing
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: SeaShrooms]
    #21414088 - 03/16/15 02:02 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Is kratom worth trying? I never tried it cause everytime i see some its being sold right next to a bag of diablo spice or k2 or something, so for the longest time i thought it was a fucked up drug like most spice, then inread its actually used for addicts.

Does it relax you? Whats the best form or method?

--------------------
"The reason is for us all"

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: 2bakednate]
    #21414861 - 03/16/15 10:10 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

its great

i prefer tea or capsules

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Would Outlaw Kratom, Internet's New Favorite Drug, in Florida [Re: P-O]
    #21415310 - 03/16/15 12:31 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Kratom is great, but be warned, if you do it daily, there are withdraws. Also shop online, the prices stores charge are BEYOND ridiculous.

--------------------

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Loc: In your brain
    #21415447 - 03/16/15 01:16 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Have you yourself experienced withdrawals? From what I have read it seems rather mild.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service