Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Krishna
    #21402921 - 03/13/15 04:18 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Let's talk about Krishna. While some religions offer faith, scriptures, and whatnot, the Hindu faith is unique in that it gives an empirical science of self-realization. For example one chants the maha mantra
Hare Krishna hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

and then they get bliss. I've done it and it works.
So one would think every person on earth would hear the clarion call that we can attain lasting bliss in this life and they would find a mantra to their suiting.

Now what I don't know is if Krishna is the Supreme Form of God or not, sure scriptures say so, but they say that about Shiva too.

What are your thoughts on all this? I am eager to attain God consciousness. When I was driving back from a meditation retreat I had a Krishna Das cd looping a hare krishna bhajan and it gave me great bliss after about 3 hours of chanting along!

As Jesus says the Kingdom of Heaven is Within, seek the Kingdom and all else shall follow!

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Krishna [Re: leery11]
    #21403469 - 03/13/15 06:52 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
Let's talk about Krishna. While some religions offer faith, scriptures, and whatnot, the Hindu faith is unique in that it gives an empirical science of self-realization. For example one chants the maha mantra

So one would think every person on earth would hear the clarion call that we can attain lasting bliss in this life and they would find a mantra to their suiting.

Now what I don't know is if Krishna is the Supreme Form of God or not, sure scriptures say so, but they say that about Shiva too.

What are your thoughts on all this? I am eager to attain God consciousness. When I was driving back from a meditation retreat I had a Krishna Das cd looping a hare krishna bhajan and it gave me great bliss after about 3 hours of chanting along!

As Jesus says the Kingdom of Heaven is Within, seek the Kingdom and all else shall follow!

Your last response hints towards a belief, that all religions are the same path.....etc. Etc. So why have interest in Krishna at all?

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #21403778 - 03/13/15 08:21 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

How I see mantra is it is a way to focus the mind and stop the internal chatter. What you chant about doesn't really matter. It's all personal and if Krishna makes you feel good inside then it is right for you. That is your belief, and it will work for you. There is 10,000 faces to this "God" idea, and I think ultimately they are just pointing us to our own highest aspects - We are It.

Krishna Das does a pretty powerful rendition of the Krishna chant:

OfflineConnoisseur

#21404105 - 03/13/15 09:27 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Every time I go to union square in Manhattan I always sit with the people who constantly chant hare krishna even played instruments and danced with them a few times, never actually did the chant myself though. Always thought it was really cool stuff and gave me positive vibes.

Invisibleonce in a lifetime
sun child
 User Gallery

Re: Krishna [Re: Connoisseur]
    #21404378 - 03/13/15 10:41 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

--------------------
Innocent, Oldfield & Hegerland          Julia Delaney, Bothy Band                                        Rasta Girl, Sister Carol                    Genesis, Jorma K
I Wish You Peace, Lawrence Laughing                                                                                                                    Do Your Thing, Moondog                     
large  . . music garden . .  very
all peace                    them hi
Starhouse - main
Time Traveler's Guide

OfflineNastyDHL
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Krishna [Re: leery11] * 1
    #21404488 - 03/13/15 11:17 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:

I don't think either Krishna, Shiva, or Vishnu are the supreme form of God. That would be Brahman. My understanding is that Krishna, Shiva, and Vishnu are forms in Brahman.

My religious family prays and offers mainly to Krishna, but also sometimes to Hanuman, Ganesha, and Shiva, amongst other deities. They do not hold Krishna as the Supreme God though. We are all incarnations of God, no single man or woman is any more God than another. The distinguishing factor lies in self-realization, as the self-realized are purer embodiments of God.

If he actually existed, which the wisest most spiritually powerful people I know believe he did, then I think deities like Krishna were self-realized and transcended different dimensions, worlds, and realms, so he becomes a focus for devotees, sort of like a great role model. Also, his energy persists here in this dimension and I think the idea is that he still exists in a transcended dimension, so praying and chanting his name may gain you his favor if you truly are devoted.

On a primal level, I think that whatever you chant, regardless of the words, vibrations, and meaning of the symbols you utter, chanting itself is very powerful.

It's entrancing, but perhaps a better way to look at it is that we're always in a trance and it's actually de-trancing.

It's a way to become more aware of your relationship to your self and the shame you may hold in your body that restrict a fuller expression of your self. The body is a vehicle for the soul to communicate and chanting helps us adapt to energy blocks and calibrate the honesty and wholeness of our communication.

On a related note, my Guru says that in the age of Kali Yuga, one can attain God simply by chanting his names.

Onlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Krishna [Re: NastyDHL]
    #21405199 - 03/14/15 08:01 AM (9 years, 17 days ago)

great post, NastyDHL ! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #21405228 - 03/14/15 08:11 AM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Your mind makes it real.  It's placebo, it doesn't matter what the source is, as long as the mind believes it.  You are god, everything is god, nothing is god, no one is god, it doesn't make any difference, it's all true.

InvisibleChronic7
Re: Krishna [Re: leery11] * 1
    #21405287 - 03/14/15 08:30 AM (9 years, 17 days ago)

I don't know much about Krishna, as in i can't recall much i've heard about him, the stories, legends, i know he liked ghee as a baby :smile:

I associate Krishna as being beyond notions of what a Sage should be like, a renunciate, celibate etc... i guess my vision of Krishna is the ultimate inseparability of the Self from creation in all of its forms

The energy of Krishna in my experience is like being swept off your feet, or 'jumping up' into a self-realized dance of existence, there was one particular time where i felt this energy and deeply associated it with Krishna

Thanks for the Kirtans Cosmo, the crowds chanting is just lovely

--------------------

OfflineConnoisseur

Re: Krishna [Re: Jufin]
    #21405501 - 03/14/15 09:33 AM (9 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Jufin said:
Your mind makes it real.  It's placebo, it doesn't matter what the source is, as long as the mind believes it.  You are god, everything is god, nothing is god, no one is god, it doesn't make any difference, it's all true.

This is why I never actually did the chant myself.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Krishna [Re: NastyDHL]
    #21408143 - 03/14/15 05:37 PM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

NastyDHL said:
Quote:

leery11 said:

I don't think either Krishna, Shiva, or Vishnu are the supreme form of God. That would be Brahman. My understanding is that Krishna, Shiva, and Vishnu are forms in Brahman.

My religious family prays and offers mainly to Krishna, but also sometimes to Hanuman, Ganesha, and Shiva, amongst other deities. They do not hold Krishna as the Supreme God though. We are all incarnations of God, no single man or woman is any more God than another. The distinguishing factor lies in self-realization, as the self-realized are purer embodiments of God.

If he actually existed, which the wisest most spiritually powerful people I know believe he did, then I think deities like Krishna were self-realized and transcended different dimensions, worlds, and realms, so he becomes a focus for devotees, sort of like a great role model. Also, his energy persists here in this dimension and I think the idea is that he still exists in a transcended dimension, so praying and chanting his name may gain you his favor if you truly are devoted.

On a primal level, I think that whatever you chant, regardless of the words, vibrations, and meaning of the symbols you utter, chanting itself is very powerful.

It's entrancing, but perhaps a better way to look at it is that we're always in a trance and it's actually de-trancing.

It's a way to become more aware of your relationship to your self and the shame you may hold in your body that restrict a fuller expression of your self. The body is a vehicle for the soul to communicate and chanting helps us adapt to energy blocks and calibrate the honesty and wholeness of our communication.

On a related note, my Guru says that in the age of Kali Yuga, one can attain God simply by chanting his names.

Thank you for this very insightful post. I use a few different mantras each day, one for Krishna for sure, the maha mantra.

--------------------

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......

sun child
 User Gallery

#21408429 - 03/14/15 06:54 PM (9 years, 16 days ago)

:thumbup: :heart:

Advaita and Bhakti are two of the most comprehensive philosophies, interesting is how they meet and mingle and over-lap, probably most beautifully in Sri Ramakrishna.  Just in my own opinion. . Another is definitely Amma, this thread has got me thinking about her more.  She's known as the "Hugging Saint," as Darshan with her generally consists of a hug..  people think of her as holy and come from all around the world for her darshan.  I've always been moved by her teachings, as well. . She is another one in whom the two paths overlap.  (In other words, the teachings of Advaita or non-duality, and Bhakti or devotion to God, coexist.)

--------------------
Innocent, Oldfield & Hegerland          Julia Delaney, Bothy Band                                        Rasta Girl, Sister Carol                    Genesis, Jorma K
I Wish You Peace, Lawrence Laughing                                                                                                                    Do Your Thing, Moondog                     
large  . . music garden . .  very
all peace                    them hi
Starhouse - main
Time Traveler's Guide

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Krishna [Re: once in a lifetime]
    #21408680 - 03/14/15 07:54 PM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Sometimes I get an anxiety about God, as a driving force to comepl me towards enlightenment, and I think maybe just maybe  Krishna could be God, our eternal friend. I felt better after I did 27 rounds of the hare krishna maha mantra. I've been debating this over a year, whether for me om namah shivaya OR hare krishna is the right mantra.

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

#21408758 - 03/14/15 08:13 PM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Connoisseur said:
Quote:

Jufin said:

This is why I never actually did the chant myself.

True, I stayed with some Hare Krishna's on their farm a few years ago, and overall they were positive, very good cooks and reasonably up with it.  They have some strange quirks and oversights like everyone and all religions, but are a lot better than most other religions I have observed.  They were aiming to be a self sufficient farm with a dairy, they already grew most of their own food.  A funny thing is they don't eat meat, but they killed a heap of tiger snakes, once when I was there, because they had to get them away from their houses and can't risk having kids around where there's tiger snakes living.

OfflineConnoisseur

#21410999 - 03/15/15 11:24 AM (9 years, 16 days ago)

Sounds like an interesting experience, did you get high with any of them?

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

#21411956 - 03/15/15 03:39 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

Nah, they are very straight.  They don't even eat garlic as they say it's a stimulant.  Definitely no drugs.

OfflineConnoisseur

#21411971 - 03/15/15 03:42 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

Garlic? hmmmm

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

#21411979 - 03/15/15 03:45 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

You want some garlic man?  I got some.

sun child
 User Gallery

#21412363 - 03/15/15 05:36 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

I've done them both a lot, too. . one thing I think is interesting, is how Shiva is a devotee of Krishna, and Krishna is a perfect devotee of Shiva.  Like you say they are each referred to as being the Original Form of God in the Vedas, so it's an interesting question.  Then of course, there is Rama, from my experience most of the Indians I have met think of the name Rama first when they think of God.  There are a couple of nice mantras that come to mind, such as Sri Rama, Jaya Rama, Jaya Sri Rama, or simply Sita Rama...  There is one incredibly lovely bhajana of Sita Rama I remember. .. I looked for it but couldn't find it, but found some others, including a nice one from some Peruvian devotees. . it's a bhajan from Govinda Dasa Kaviraja.

LYRICS:
(1)
bhajahū re mana śrī-nanda-nandana
abhaya-caraṇāravinda re
durlabha mānava-janama sat-sańge
taroho e bhava-sindhu re

(2)
śīta ātapa bāta bariṣaṇa
e dina jāminī jāgi re
biphale sevinu kṛpaṇa durajana
capala sukha-laba lāgi' re

(3)
e dhana, yaubana, putra, parijana
ithe ki āche paratīti re
kamala-dala-jala, jīvana ṭalamala
bhajahū hari-pada nīti re

(4)
śravaṇa, kīrtana, smaraṇa, vandana,
pāda-sevana, dāsya re
pūjana, sakhī-jana, ātma-nivedana
govinda-dāsa-abhilāṣa re

TRANSLATION
1) O mind just worship the lotus feet of the son of Nanda, which make one fearless. Having obtained this rare human birth, cross over this ocean of worldly existence through the association of saintly persons.

2) Both in the day and at night I remain sleepless, suffering the pains of the heat and cold, the wind and the rain. For a fraction of flickering happiness I have uselessly served wicked and miserly men.

3) What assurance of real happiness is there in all of one's wealth, youthfulness, sons, and family members? This life is tottering like a drop of water on a lotus petal; therefore you should always serve and worship the divine feet of Lord Hari.

4) It is the desire and great longing of Govinda Dasa to engage himself in the nine processes of bhakti, namely hearing the glories of Lord Hari and chanting those glories, constantly remembering Him and offering prayers to Him, serving the Lord's lotus feet, serving the Supreme Lord as a servant, worshiping Him with flowers and incense and so forth, serving Him as a friend, and completely offering the Lord one's very self.

OfflineConnoisseur

#21412416 - 03/15/15 05:49 PM (9 years, 15 days ago)

lol im good man

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom