Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive
    #21396319 - 03/12/15 07:05 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

http://time.com/3739789/cocaine-addictive/

How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive

Researchers learn more about the brain on cocaine

New research in rats suggests that it might be possible to dull the vivid memories of cocaine, a finding that could lead to potential therapies that might one day make drugs less addictive.

In the new study, published in the Journal of Neuroscience, researchers at Washington State University experimented with rats and showed that it’s possible to interfere with the brain’s memory creation process, which is involved in cocaine addiction. Altering this process could make the drug less desirable.

The researchers gave a group of rats cocaine while they were in a specific cage. The rats learned to associate their home with cocaine and memories of those experiences—something humans do, too, says study author Barbara Sorg, a professor of neuroscience at Washington State University Vancouver.

“When people take drugs, they end up accumulating memories of where they took the drug, the people they took the drug with, the sights, the smells, the feeling of increased heart rate or the rush,” says Sorg. “All those things are creating memories.”

Sorg says that people who become dependent on drugs often want to relive a memory they have of that drug. “People talk about chasing that original high, that euphoric response that they can’t seem to get back, so they take higher and higher levels of drugs.”

During the study the researchers also removed a part of the brain in some of the rats called the perineuronal nets. These nets are located in the brain region associated with attention, learning and memory. The researchers found that without their perineuronal nets the rats found the drug cages less desirable, suggesting the nets are both involved in drug-related memories, and that removing them can blunt those memories.

“We are trying to get to a basic understanding for what structures might be responsible for expressing cocaine-associated memory,” says Sorg. If those memories can indeed be dulled, then there may be an pathway for therapies to curb cocaine’s addictiveness in the brain. A drug that targets one of the building blocks of the nets could be a possible option one day, Sorg says, though this research is still very preliminary.

These findings, if replicated in humans, could have implications for people trying to recover from addiction, Sorg says. Sometimes people who succeed in rehab relapse once they are put back in the environment where they were using drugs, Sorg says, possibly due to all the cues around them that they associate with the experience.

“If we can understand the components of these nets and how they are regulated by cocaine, or how they’ve changed by taking cocaine, then we can understand the next step which would be developing therapeutics,” Sorg says.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: motaman]
    #21396493 - 03/12/15 08:07 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

doesnt this idea apply with anything in life? You are what you tell yourself... If you continually tell yourself you are afraid of heights, chances are you will always be afraid of heights. I dont see how this how this idea is a new scientific discovery. I suppose if you are trying to get off cocaine, you can trick your mind into thinking that you dont enjoy the high :shrug:

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlineanarchyfan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21396520 - 03/12/15 08:15 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, what could possibly go wrong with altering one's memories to seem less enjoyable.  I appreciate the science, but in all honesty, there is a better way; it just needs to be discovered.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: anarchyfan]
    #21396550 - 03/12/15 08:23 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

If the government funded rehabilitation centers had it's way it would be lobotomy.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: Shiithead]
    #21397410 - 03/12/15 12:23 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yes. Even losing a tiny chunk of brain can mess you up good.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: Le_Canard]
    #21397523 - 03/12/15 12:48 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Unless mainstream science says otherwise.

--------------------

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
    #21397823 - 03/12/15 01:51 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

It would have been a cool article if they came up with a new cocaine "type" that has the euphoria but not the addictive potential. Kava seems to be like what I'm describing. Euphoric, not addictive.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: CLIT] * 1
    #21397934 - 03/12/15 02:24 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I try not to touch anything that has been processed by man. They do nothing but make your body work less and/or harder for you to find your center.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21398042 - 03/12/15 02:45 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Explain, if you please...

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21398231 - 03/12/15 03:19 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Cocaine, Heroin, pills, and anything that is not from the ground. Coke and Ron for example cause your serotonin and dopamine levels to go off the charts and when this happens it takes a toll on how your body processes that stuff. After awhile if you choose to use it more and more your body stops making these natural chemicals and throws your system out of whack. Leading to feeling down. Some call this dependence/addiction. I call it chemical imbalance.

Pills, including the "good ones", as in MAOI's, SSRI's, Antibiotics, and anything under the sun. Cause your body to stop working as hard like the "harder" stuff makes it do. Antibiotics shocks your immune system causing it to not fight off infections and foreign bacteria that get into your system. The only reason doctors prescribe this is because they have been misled*. It just makes you more sick and where do you go when you're sick?

--------------------

Edited by Shiithead (03/12/15 03:20 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: Shiithead] * 1
    #21398318 - 03/12/15 03:37 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21398319 - 03/12/15 03:37 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Then enlighten me

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #21398577 - 03/12/15 04:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Um....  So they are suggesting lobotomy for addiction? The medical system is way curropt there

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: tacodude]
    #21398595 - 03/12/15 04:35 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well I suppose it wouldn't be a traditional lobotomy. The memories are not stored in one specific part of the brain. When you think about it ,they are probably implying brainwashing techniques. Like giving you a permanent trip on a drug like scopolomine. Rehabilitation centers practically brainwash you anyways with propaganda and "good drugs" like paxil and zoloft. And hypnotherapy is also a common practice among psychiatrists and psychologists. Who's to say they cannot give you scopolomine or a drug or procedure that makes you experience pain every time you go to cut a line or even worse, have a thought they don't want you to have...

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21398814 - 03/12/15 05:20 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well, drugs aren't good or bad - they just are. Depends on how we use them. And all this drugs you posted earlier all come from the Earth.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21398827 - 03/12/15 05:21 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Really?? where can I find a paxil tree? Or how about a crack-cocaine plant?

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21398864 - 03/12/15 05:26 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well you know that cocaine came from the the Coca plant which grows in South America. I couldn't tell what exactly is in a Paxil, but I tell you they were made right here on good old earth, you see.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21398883 - 03/12/15 05:30 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Cocaine is extracted with good ol' gasoline and muriatic acid if i am not mistaken. I am sure paxil is no different minus the gasoline and add some form of alcohol based extraction.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: Shiithead] * 1
    #21399013 - 03/12/15 05:51 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Now where do you think that gasoline comes from? It don't rain petrol you know.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21399029 - 03/12/15 05:53 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Lmao, please then, drink a gallon of gasoline and get back to me on that.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21399056 - 03/12/15 06:00 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

You should take a basic college course or two for organic chemistry. See, when chemists study organic chemistry and classify it as such the properties of Carbon (Very important element for life as we know it to have developed) and how it interacts with the other elements. The gas in your car is as much an organic chemical as the all-natural goat milk in your fridge.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21399137 - 03/12/15 06:17 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Is it natural for an organic system (your body) to metabolize gasoline?

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21399271 - 03/12/15 06:49 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said:
Is it natural for an organic system (your body) to metabolize gasoline?

Go drink some and let us know.

--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.

In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #21399735 - 03/12/15 08:46 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

My whole point xD

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21399790 - 03/12/15 08:58 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't matter if you can consume it or not. T'is an organic molecule that uses a lot of Carbon atoms. You also shouldn't eat wood, or dirt, now would you?

Edited by Le_Canard (03/12/15 10:55 PM)

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21399827 - 03/12/15 09:05 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

No but I would eat stuff that grows on and in it...

--------------------

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
    #21400207 - 03/12/15 10:46 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

what is your suggestion, genius?

Quote:

Shiithead said:
Cocaine, Heroin, pills, and anything that is not from the ground. Coke and Ron for example cause your serotonin and dopamine levels to go off the charts and when this happens it takes a toll on how your body processes that stuff. After awhile if you choose to use it more and more your body stops making these natural chemicals and throws your system out of whack. Leading to feeling down. Some call this dependence/addiction. I call it chemical imbalance.

Pills, including the "good ones", as in MAOI's, SSRI's, Antibiotics, and anything under the sun. Cause your body to stop working as hard like the "harder" stuff makes it do. Antibiotics shocks your immune system causing it to not fight off infections and foreign bacteria that get into your system. The only reason doctors prescribe this is because they have been misled*. It just makes you more sick and where do you go when you're sick?

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#21400234 - 03/12/15 10:54 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I am not suggesting anything. All I said was...

Quote:

Shiithead said:
I try not to touch anything that has been processed by man. They do nothing but make your body work less and/or harder for you to find your center.

You guys are like sharks to blood... Can't someone have some damn ethics around here? I know psychedelics dissolves boundaries but shit sometimes its nice to have them in place.

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21400540 - 03/13/15 01:04 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said:
My whole point xD

I genuinely do not know please go drink some and report back.

God nothing irritates me more than drug elitists. NEWSFLASH, if acid breaks your head than so would shrooms. Dosn't matter if you play with a flamethrower or flint and wool, fires will go out of control if you don't know how to play nicely with the toys.

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #21400552 - 03/13/15 01:09 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I heard psychedelics help you appreciate life and help you love. You must have got burnt...

--------------------

Offlineanarchyfan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: Le_Canard] * 1
    #21401750 - 03/13/15 10:49 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:

Are you serious?  Dude you are so wrong; I hope you are joking, because his point was that the drugs made by people are more dangerous and less trustworthy.  Pointing out that gasoline occurs naturally means nothing when someone says natural drugs are healthier, because none of the drugs made with gasoline are safe or healthy.  Coke is so acidic that it will melt your nasal passages if you do it too often and completely fuck up your dopamine production.  There is nothing safe about that, and it is related to inherent qualities of the drug; how it's created, and how it behaves in the brain.  Can coca be used safely in a more potent form?  Most definitely, but that form is not existent, and everyone gets coke as coke HCL, or CRACK which is WORSE.  Let's not even talk about coke though, because you could be like my friend who was prescribed SNRIs and had fucking seizures because of his meds.  So I'd like you to keep thinking that man-made drugs are just completely safe and okay.  You can fuck with all your drugs, safely, and I will be even safer not fucking with them.  I don't even like to do LSD because I don't trust a random guy that I don't know with chemical processes I'm not a part of.  You can safely use dangerous drugs, but it is dangerous to confuse that discretion for safety.

Edited by anarchyfan (03/13/15 11:09 AM)

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#21402546 - 03/13/15 02:51 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:

Are you serious?  Dude you are so wrong; I hope you are joking, because his point was that the drugs made by people are more dangerous and less trustworthy. 

There are thousands of highly toxic, naturally occurring substances.  Assuming something is "safer" because it is "natural" is absurd and demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of the most basic principles of toxicology.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: badchad]
    #21403024 - 03/13/15 04:44 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Indeed.

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21406141 - 03/14/15 12:43 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said:
I heard psychedelics help you appreciate life and help you love. You must have got burnt...

Never been burnt, because i know how to play with fire.

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

Offlineallseeingike
Male User Gallery

Loc: elgin ill-miami fl
    #21411827 - 03/15/15 03:02 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

anarchyfan said:
Quote:

Le_Canard said:

Are you serious?  Dude you are so wrong; I hope you are joking, because his point was that the drugs made by people are more dangerous and less trustworthy.  Pointing out that gasoline occurs naturally means nothing when someone says natural drugs are healthier, because none of the drugs made with gasoline are safe or healthy.  Coke is so acidic that it will melt your nasal passages if you do it too often and completely fuck up your dopamine production.  There is nothing safe about that, and it is related to inherent qualities of the drug; how it's created, and how it behaves in the brain.  Can coca be used safely in a more potent form?  Most definitely, but that form is not existent, and everyone gets coke as coke HCL, or CRACK which is WORSE.  Let's not even talk about coke though, because you could be like my friend who was prescribed SNRIs and had fucking seizures because of his meds.  So I'd like you to keep thinking that man-made drugs are just completely safe and okay.  You can fuck with all your drugs, safely, and I will be even safer not fucking with them.  I don't even like to do LSD because I don't trust a random guy that I don't know with chemical processes I'm not a part of.  You can safely use dangerous drugs, but it is dangerous to confuse that discretion for safety.

cocaine is completely natural and can be used while still in the leaves ( people chew the leaves. sometimes with baking soda to make it more active or something)  peopla can extract it though. there are ways to do it without gasoline. its no different than extracting dmt ( i mean its a diff process but the same idea). morphine is also perfectly natural and can be used directly from the plant (opium) meth has been found in acacia bandoleiri. scopolamine is deadly and found naturally as well. tobacco is perfectly natural as well and very deadly.

lsd is almost non toxic ( no ld50 for humans is known) and it is semisynthetic.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make Cocaine Less Addictive [Re: allseeingike]
    #21411932 - 03/15/15 03:31 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

allseeingike said:
to make it more active or something

How scientific....

--------------------

OfflineKDOLLAS23
Stranger
    #24431471 - 06/24/17 11:53 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Hello. I get product in pure Columbian white in bulk. If anyone is interested and would like more information please email me

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies