Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: Grey]
    #21910149 - 07/07/15 03:12 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

boiling doesn't sterilize grains to a sufficient level.

sterilization is considered at least 6 log of reduction once a jar is down to 0CFU so you have 1:1,000,000 chance of one colony forming unit in a jar. even the PC for 90m at 15PSI likely doesn't get us there with grains.

if you start with a grain jar that has 10^6th CFU already naturally harbored inside you need 12 logs of kill overall. 6 logs to get you to theoretical 0CFU and then 6 more to ensure it's actually all dead beyond random chance. say you sterilize to a 2 log reduction. then you have a 1:100 chance a jar will contaminate which is unacceptable for a measure of sterility.

but :whathesaid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: bennylava]
    #21910169 - 07/07/15 03:17 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bennylava said:
What about just using other containers, to sterilize the grass seed. Then transfer the grass seed, to the larger containers. Of course the larger containers would have already been sterilized. That's a given. Perhaps boiled in my giant pot that I have.

This works. I have done it several times. I have a large container that barely fits in my PC so I fill it with grains and give it a long PC. When it has just dropped pressure (I do not vent or force cool it) I open it and transfer to already hot jars or tubs. I then immediately give them a second heat treatment which should take care of any new airbourne contaminants which have landed in it.

I believe grains sterilize better if they are very moist, so if they go into a PC and are quite wet the heat treatment should be more effective. Rye grass seed does not explode when its overly wet. If you monitor & calculate your moisture levels you can heat jars or tubs in a microwave, and drive off the excess moisture. The excessive moisture means you get good steam buildup in the microwaved tubs and so it heats more evenly.

If steaming you will not have to do these calculations.

OfflineMushroom_J
Hard to the Coir !
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: bennylava]
    #21910763 - 07/07/15 05:29 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bennylava said:
Thanks for the help yet again. Can anyone tell me if these containers will fit in your standard 9 quart pressure cooker? If not, would it be advisable to use a smaller container? Or would the fruits get too tall?

If they're too tall, and smaller ones shouldn't be used, what about this:

What about just using other containers, to sterilize the grass seed. Then transfer the grass seed, to the larger containers. Of course the larger containers would have already been sterilized. That's a given. Perhaps boiled in my giant pot that I have.

You can use the smaller PP5's and use anything from a 2 liter over the cup to a gallon baggie like so...

If you do brf cakes like i did with the tall pp5's then you can just steam them instead of pc'ing. One was cased with verm one wasn't. Multi spore. I started them from spore 3/22-3/23/15... it's 7/7/15 and theyr're still producing lol.
:crazy2::crazy2: A little over 7 g's dry :wink:

--------------------

Edited by Mushroom_J (07/20/15 04:02 PM)

InvisibleL0rdk4in
A noob

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: Mushroom_J]
    #21911893 - 07/07/15 09:05 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I have a few with zip lock bags with  the corners cut off to make 2 small hole. I also have a few with 2 liter bottles on them. I fan both types 3 times a day and I lightly mist them once a day. Im still not getting anything. Are you fanning or misting your zip lock bags or two liter bottles?

OfflineSadburner
Stranger
Male

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: L0rdk4in]
    #21911962 - 07/07/15 09:20 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

This is awesome!! I've always been fascinated with in-vitro growing methods

OfflineMushroom_J
Hard to the Coir !
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: L0rdk4in]
    #21912097 - 07/07/15 09:49 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I only misted with the baggies if they needed it.
I didn't fan. The tall PP5's I unscrewed the lid fully and just left it on loose. I let them ride as is other than bottom watering/dunking.
No misting/fanning on those.

--------------------

OfflinefirstTIMER420
Born the son of a sharecropper..
Male User Gallery

Loc: US, maybe?
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: Violet]
    #21912113 - 07/07/15 09:50 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
Added the PF-tek recipe and sterilization to the tek!

This tek works wonderfully for absolute beginners who don't even have a pressure cooker!
It avoids the birthing, handling, dunking, and verm rolling of cakes before fruiting. BRF cakes can be submerged in their container before the first flush if desired, for an optimal first flush.
It also avoids the the complex, confusing, costly, annoying and only somewhat useful shotgun terrarium, as well as any unclear misting and fanning procedures that go with it and the original PF-tek cakes.

Beginners, and all growers, can now just watch the mycelium overtake their substrate (more quickly, too), then unscrew the lids and watch how the perfectly humid yet breathing conditions inside the simple container allows the mushrooms to grow with no effort from the grower.

THIS^

--------------------
12 34 http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22386794[/url]
--Anything posted by this account is completely fictitious--

Offlinebennylava
Bad example

#21920079 - 07/09/15 01:51 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

L0rdk4in said:
I have a few with zip lock bags with  the corners cut off to make 2 small hole. I also have a few with 2 liter bottles on them. I fan both types 3 times a day and I lightly mist them once a day. Im still not getting anything. Are you fanning or misting your zip lock bags or two liter bottles?

This was going to be my next question. How are you guys getting rid of the Co2? Clearly its leaving the fruiting chamber somehow, but how do you make 100% sure?

Offlinebennylava
Bad example

#21944994 - 07/15/15 01:51 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I'd like to bump for last question. I have a bit of a scientific mind. Just kinda sorta letting the Co2 flow out of the gap between the lid and the jar, doesn't really make sense to me. Can anyone explain better how this process is going on in the jar, or why you don't need to worry about the Co2? The information seems pretty vague on how tight the jar lid actually needs to be. There seems to need to be a gap, but not too much of a gap, but not too tight... its all a little confusing, I'm afraid.

Edited by bennylava (07/15/15 01:53 AM)

OfflineKNOTHEAR
Stranger

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: Violet]
    #21945826 - 07/15/15 04:57 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
Keep in mind that you can unscrew the lids a very little bit.  Pretty much any gas exchange for containers like these will provide plenty for nice fruiting.

seems pretty simple , just crack the lid so its not fully tight.

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: KNOTHEAR]
    #21946524 - 07/15/15 09:25 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

IMO you're gonna need a culture that can do alright in very low FAE environments,
you cant just cut off most fresh air supply and think it wont affect your mushrooms :shrug:

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: spacechildo]
    #21946800 - 07/15/15 10:59 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

No, Cubensis does great in this condition.  It's a different condition from something like a monotub with a giant cake of mycelium in it a setup that has co2 issues even when done near its best, where there's not just mycelium covering each grain but every last tiniest bit of bulk substrate.
Co2 is simply not an issue with this method, or at least never has been for me.  If the lids are cracked Any more than the absolute minimum, and especially if there's some air motion in the room like fans, windows, heat or AC, they should do fantastically.  No special CO2-tolerant culturing needed, whatever that would even be...
The mushrooms may grow tall up to the lid, and feet may grow "fuzzy" which is more of a Cubensis variety thing than necessarily a CO2 thing, but the true signs of FAE lack haven't ever shown in one of my containers with a cracked lid.  Only neglected containers that were opened for some reason then sealed again for too long.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21946829 - 07/15/15 11:08 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I dont have co2 problems with my monos :shrug:

you've said it yourself you need a culture specifically suited for these conditions.
its not all about co2 buildup, you need some movement in the air as you said.
I cant get it right with cups like these, especially not in an un-modded tub.

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: spacechildo]
    #21946931 - 07/15/15 11:41 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

This is the invitro method, dude.  No tubs.
And what I've said myself is not to expect best results without culturing for the method. Though I've gotten some awesome multi-spore yields, they were flukes.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#21946956 - 07/15/15 11:49 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

you should add some pics of those to the OP. I'm a sucker for max FAE grows tho so our standards of ideal conditions may vary..

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21947019 - 07/15/15 12:04 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I got an eighth dry from a first flush on one of these. I use a 1/4" hole covered by a SFD though.

--------------------

:takingnotes:  AMU Q&A  :takingnotes:

If you don't have a plan of your own, you'll become a part of somebody else's.

Offlinebennylava
Bad example

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: Grey]
    #21950294 - 07/16/15 02:05 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Grey said:
I got an eighth dry from a first flush on one of these. I use a 1/4" hole covered by a SFD though.

What is SFD? What is FAE?

Also, I looked up the "invitro" term, just to be clear. I'm afraid I can't make sense of it when it comes to mycology, other than the simple injection of the spores into the substrate. Can you please elaborate further violet, on what you mean by this "invitro" method that you are referring to?

OfflineChk
Reverser
Male User Gallery

Loc: France
    #21950350 - 07/16/15 03:01 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

"Invitro" here refer to the fact that you do the whole grow in the same closed(nearly) container.

--------------------

OfflineKNOTHEAR
Stranger

#21950537 - 07/16/15 05:37 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bennylava said: Can you please elaborate further violet, on what you mean by this "invitro" method that you are referring to?

Did you read the first page of this thread? or maybe just the title.....:rolleyes:

Offlinebennylava
Bad example

Re: Invitro Grass Seed TEK – A powerful single-step grow method for beginners and beyond [Re: KNOTHEAR]
    #21952727 - 07/16/15 04:36 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KNOTHEAR said:
Quote:

bennylava said: Can you please elaborate further violet, on what you mean by this "invitro" method that you are referring to?

Did you read the first page of this thread? or maybe just the title.....:rolleyes:

Do you realize people are throwing that word around all over this forum, with different meanings than violet?......:rolleyes:

Edited by bennylava (07/16/15 04:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract