Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
more desirable mycobag colonization times
    #2135424 - 11/25/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

its been about a week since i innoculated my 4 grain bags, and i know how long these bastards are supposed to take. I want to know why they take so long and if theres anything i can do about it. besides shaking them at the right times ive never heard any real remedies or recommendations. im wanting to get at least one flush in by the end of the year so i can reap the fruits for new years. ive heard absurd and relatively shorter colonization times and i want to know what other than correct temp and shaking can help. i have them in a double rubbermade incubator with no air exchanges and no light, though i do have to open to mist the chamber (i wouldnt mist if my room wasnt so fucking dry, i know these bags are supposed tohave all the moisture they need already. i just dont want them drying out.) i know its going to take a ton of patience but some of the reports ive read are ridiculous.

Thanks to Mycobag for the product and service, both of which are very satisfying.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #2135506 - 11/25/03 05:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There's no need to mist the bags; they're plastic and not alive.  You could put them in a fruiting chamber, but that's pointless because they are either too dry in the first place, or they're fine.  I just put mine on a shelf in a heated closet and wait....

I've noticed that injecting the spores above the substrate speeds things up.  Other than that, shaking is all you can really do -- and get them at the right temps, of course.  If you're going to case the bags you can minimize the water content and that will speed colonization a bit, too.

That's all I can think of right now....  Keep us posted :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: micro]
    #2135578 - 11/25/03 05:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

When you shake your bag, make sure you break the mycelia up completely and mush it all the way through the substrate. It may look like you are starting over, myc tends to disapear as it is mashed. But the whole bag will colonize very quickly afterwords. You have my word on that. Other than that, make sure your temperature is good. Too cool is better than too hot.

What strain are you using?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: Rose]
    #2135583 - 11/25/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ditto. Good point, Cervantes.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinebeanchild
bean
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: micro]
    #2135608 - 11/25/03 05:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

cervantes u tha man!! 24 hour mycobag tech support!!

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: beanchild]
    #2135680 - 11/25/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I do like bags.

I try to help with what I know.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2138301 - 11/26/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They are Equadors. I only mist bc my room is so fucking dry. I plan on fruiting in the bags and using the spent cakes for grain to grain transfers. Should i be moving the CO2 out of the incubator or should i leave it, gas exchange is important and too much co2 can slow the colonization in the bottoms of jars, but should i me exchanging air in the chamber bc i thought they were supposed to have more co2 during colonization.

the temp is a constant 82, as little light as posible, i only mist so as to not lose water in the bags to the dry air, but i may discontinue spraying until i see moisture loss (no condensation inside bags and verm doesnt stick to sides). what should i do about gas exchange? i think i might be looking for a happy medium between too much and too little co2, correct?

whenever things start rolling, which i know will be a while no matter what i do, you can bet ill be updating you all like mad.

i cant wait for these things to not only colonize and fruit, but be spent so i can do the grain to grains.

again, any help with these bags would be great.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2138309 - 11/26/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

it hasnt been a week, it's been 2. if i say this week or last week, it can easily be inerpreted as withing the last 3 months. just a problem i have from not sleeping ever, a year is like one long shitty day.

--------------------

OfflineMikeShrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: NYC
    #2138903 - 11/26/03 09:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I had a bag that did not show any signs for 3.5 weeks... then it took off. Once it took off I had fruits one month later.... Mycobags are slow... but safe... They work.. That bag is on its third flush and going strong... Be patient

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2139356 - 11/27/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

THEY DON"T NEED HUMIDITY.

Not from the outside. Outside moisture is the only thing I know, other than poor inoculation, that can contaminate your bags.

Keep them dry... how do you know if your room is too dry? You've never grown bags before.

The filter needs to be dry on the outside.

One more thing, the filter needs to be dry on the outside.  :crazy:

Inject water into the mycelia if they dry out... but they won't unless they are too hot.

Finally, keep the outside of the bags dry.

Here's a great mycobag link.

Also, check out the link in Anno's post. It, too, is fantastic.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (11/27/03 11:20 AM)

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2139492 - 11/27/03 01:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

give em hell, cerv.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: more desirable mycobag colonization times [Re: automan]
    #2140132 - 11/27/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I know that they have all the moisture they need as is, but the moisture can leach out into the dry climate. I know my room is too dry bc my skin is drying out completely and cracking and i have already noticed moisture loss within the bags, i take care not to let the filter patch get wet, and i use peroxide and water when i spray, which is rarely and along the walls. I plan on discontinuing spraying once i can humidify my room. If my room sucks all the moisture out of my body, i figure its dry enough to leach the moisture out of the bags. mycobag or his site or something said they have all the moisture they need but humidification might be in order in dryer climates. And my room is dry as hell right now. Once i get the humidity up in my room then ill stop spraying or cut back significantly. my real issue is gas exchange, they are closed in the incubator with no gas exchange, should i try to fan or pump air? C02 build up stalls jars, so i figure i might need to pump air or something to keep things optimal. refer to prior posts.

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2140135 - 11/27/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

also, that link isnt there. please re-post. thanks.

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2140141 - 11/27/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i have also been considering letting them get dry so they colonize faster, as with jars, and give them a shot of water at the last shake when theyre almost fully colonized. but as of right now my room is so dry itll suck them dry. ill see once i humidify the room.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2140156 - 11/27/03 11:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Link posted

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2140163 - 11/27/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thanks

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2140181 - 11/27/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Bags don't need 100% humidity like cakes do.

Outside moisture interferes with gas exchange... Bags don't need a lot of gas exchange, and yes they can lose moisture... but if you injected water when they are too dry, you're fine. OUTSIDE humidity is too dangerous... I've seen people lose bags this way... and your bags are not growing quickly.

Obviously, the extra humidity isn't speeding things up... and they WON'T lose too much moisture in 2 weeks.

Give them Dry air...

Give them time...

Give them a chance for air exchange...

Make sure your temperature is right... and not too hot.

Smell the filters for potential contaminations... the bags will smell sour th=rough the patch if they are.

Do not inject water until you have no other choice.... don't just inject water 'cause you think it'd be fun.

Bags love neglect... too much love and too many good intentions will kill a bag.

Good luck.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2140200 - 11/27/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

so, what should i do about air exchange in the incubator? just let them go or should i exchange the air occasionally bc of c02 build up?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2140206 - 11/27/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That should work. C02 can be fanned or poured out... every few days.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2162141 - 12/05/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

it was 4 weeks wednesday, still nothing. What the fuck?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order