Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Casing with Schultz Professional PottingSoil Plus
    #2135405 - 11/25/03 04:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I know it is normally not recommended to use potting soil as a casing layer, but is this true for all brands and types of potting soil? If so what reason is it bad for mushrooms?

I have found a brand of soil that seems to contain all the items that casing normally has. It contains Canadian sphagnum peat moss, organic materials (derived from one or more of the following: reed-sedge peat, composted forest products, or composted rice hulls), horticultural perlite, a wetting agent, and lime for proper pH balance. It has been used before by someone I know and mycelium shot through pretty quick and covered the entire thing. Pinning also occured, but they ran into contam issues due to humidifcation issues and the fruiting chamber top popping off for a few days.

So by cooking this stuff in the oven and then spraying it down with water/H202 would it work as well as home made casing layers?

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Casing with Schultz Professional PottingSoil Plus [Re: MadHatR]
    #2135425 - 11/25/03 04:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

My friend uses potting soil when he doesn't have anything else to use and it's always provided results. He is just always sure to bake it first to kill anything in it and it always turns out fine.

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Casing with Schultz Professional PottingSoil Plus [Re: Cloud9]
    #2135629 - 11/25/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The organic undecomposed materials do provide a contamination risk.... A lot of things grow faster than cubensis mycelium. Other than that, potting soil is known to work.

The idea is to create a non-nutritious casing material that will hold water but not let contaminants take hold.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2135988 - 11/25/03 07:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I don't recommend potting soil, because most of them contain additives or in your case nutrients that could pose a contam problem. besides a bag of peat moss and verm cost less and will be more usefull to you in the long run.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2136561 - 11/25/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Get some vermeculite and coco-coir from your local garden shop. Or, just use some peat-moss instead of coco.

Anonymous

Re: Casing with Schultz Professional PottingSoil Plus [Re: angryshroom]
    #2136594 - 11/26/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I would go with coco coir and verm like angryshroom said but potting soil does work...not sure about the potting soil plus tho....I just used straight potting soil

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Casing with Schultz Professional PottingSoil Plus [Re: ]
    #2137244 - 11/26/03 09:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, say someone I know already did used this for 2 casings, they have yet to be moved to the fruiting chamber. The soil was baked at 300 for 20 minutes and sprayed down with water/H2O2. Is there any way at this point to save these casings? Anything that can be added before removing the lid and moving them to the fruiting chamber? Cold shocking? Spraying down with H2O2? No contams are showing yet but the last casing was lost and those people thought it was due to fruiting chamber issues. Please help, they don't want to lose these two also. They will be making there own casing from now on using Coco-coir and vermic or Peat, vermic, oyster shells, and hydrated lime, whichever works best.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #2137346 - 11/26/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

A similar potting soil mixture has worked for my friend before without contaminating, but the yields were crap when compared to verm/coir.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds