Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Living in the rat race...
    #2132077 - 11/24/03 09:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

My family was visiting a few weeks ago, and I realized something they found odd... I don't own an alarm clock.  I haven't been woken up by an alarm clock in over ten years now.  My family couldn't understand how a person can function without having something tell them when to get up in the morning.  I tried to explain that I simply remind myself when I go to bed what time I want to wake up; that the next morning I will be up on time, but they were still upset that I couldn't set an alarm.

This got me to thinking... people feel as if they cannot survive without knowing how much time has passed... we have clocks on the walls, clocks on our wrists, clock on our computers, clocks on our phones, clocks to wake us up, clocks to tell us when to go to bed... We live our lifes tied to the passage of time.  :frown:

If you ever get bored during a vacation, try turning off all the clocks for a few days and see what you think.  There is more to living life than sitting around watching the second hand tick away.  :sun: 

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebigfatdork
Now I Have Teeth

Loc: North PoLL
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: Seuss]
    #2132091 - 11/24/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I became a slave to my watch, constantly checking it and obsessing over what time it was. Almost like a nervous tick. My watch broke, and you know what? Instead of being upset I was relieved!
That was over three years ago and I haven't missed it (or an obligation) since.

--------------------
"But it was alright, he had won the battle against himself, He Loved Big Brother"

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2132203 - 11/24/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Most people don't believe you if you tell them you can set your "self" to wake up at a certain time. I don't do it anymore, I like the insurance of having an alarm clock, but when I was a kid I used to tell myself to wake up every Sunday just before 6 am to watch 'Davey and Goliath'. I would wake up without fail at the time I set. Your body has its own internal clock.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: Jellric]
    #2132261 - 11/24/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Honestly, I completely believe that you can do this... however, I cannot.

I think part of my problem is that my room is completely dark (blacked out windows)... but that's the only way I can get to sleep. Hell, I even put electrical tape over the little green LED on my portable phone charger.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisibleadrug

Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: Sclorch]
    #2132385 - 11/24/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I simply must have an alarm clock or I would never make it up in time for work...but I haven't owned a watch for years.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2132387 - 11/24/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

this morning I had a dream where my mom told me to wake up at 7:30 am for school, so I wake up from that dream and it is 7:29am and like 5 seconds later my alarm clock rings!

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #2132574 - 11/24/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

my ex-gf/gf/whateverthefuck got me this watch just recently, and she wants me to wear it and stuff, so that i look like i'm always on time... i love her so much, but damn... i hate looking at my cellphone every 2 seconds, why do i need a friggidy watch...

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2132649 - 11/24/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I can relate, Sclorch. I'm definately not one of those freaks who sleep with the tv on.

Light along with sound is the biggest cue your body receives to tell you when it's time to wake or sleep. Friday ended for me a two month period of working overnight and sleeping during the day. My bedroom faces one of the busiest streets in my town and the eastern rising sun. You want to talk about barriers to sleep- thank the gods its over!

I discovered melatonin during this time and it helped me get through it.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: Jellric]
    #2132874 - 11/24/03 03:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I use an alarm clock when I have to wake up earlier than 11 because I really like to sleep in. I have to wake up at 7:30 when I have morning shifts, and since I hate waking up then and also hate my job I really doubt my body would be so inclined to punish itself willingly. If I don't have to wake up early I get up at whatever time my body decides it's had enough rest... usually between 10 and 2. I don't like sleeping in as late as 2 but lately I've needed it.

Speaking of sleep I'd just like to brag that last night was the best sleep I've had in months. It was truly glorious. I suppose thats the benefit of having the flu, unless you can't stop coughing or have a really runny nose, sleep is really deep and satisfying.

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting
Loc: The land of The People
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: bigfatdork]
    #2132915 - 11/24/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Same thing here.  I have been without a Time Master for over a year.  Man, Freedom taste Sweet. Later. :lol: 

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2133252 - 11/24/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I would love to not worry what time it was, when i had to get up in the morning, or what time i have to be at school. A life without the restriction of the clock, would be very pleasing i think. But my situation doesnt really allow me to do that... but i guess that is the way it will be for now, something i can tolerate... for a while.

--------------------
What?

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2134303 - 11/25/03 06:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> But my situation doesnt really allow me to do that...

My situation is almost no different than yours. I have to be to work on time to unlock the doors or my staff sit outside getting paid for doing nothing. I have obligations to meet in a timely manner, etc... I just don't use a clock to tell me when to wake up, eat, go to bed, etc...

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #2134306 - 11/25/03 06:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

To me that is a changing of the experience sort of thing. Hopefully in the future i'll be able to do the same when I am in my own house. I'll run time on the sun!

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2134334 - 11/25/03 06:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Hell, I even put electrical tape over the little green LED on my portable phone charger. "

:lol:

I so feel you on that.  I have a blanket over my window, pinned, so no light can come through.

I have to cover a lot of crap to  get sleep too, it's a ritual damn near.

I first cover the ups system with my shirt, then shove all that shit in front of the socket with the lit up switch on the floor.

then their the little red dote on the alarm clock which points to when it's am or pm, hehehe

as regarding time, don't you love it as well when you keep looking at the same time as before.  like I always see time that ends with 11.  not even meaning to, I jsut do it.  it's crazy

turning off all the clocks would be a neat thign to try though!

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: kaiowas]
    #2134348 - 11/25/03 07:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> I have a blanket over my window, pinned, so no light can come through.

Ah yes, I forgot about you poor souls living in the light poluted cities. When the sun sets out here, there is very little light except the moon and stars. When I first moved here after living in Denver, I was amazed at how dark it can get.

--------------------

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Living in the rat race... [Re: kaiowas]
    #2134350 - 11/25/03 07:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

" as regarding time, don't you love it as well when you keep looking at the same time as before. like I always see time that ends with 11. not even meaning to, I jsut do it. it's crazy "

That reminds me of something that happens now and again, sometimes i wake up in the morning and the clock says 7:20 so i go back to sleep i wake up again at 7:50 and go back to sleep then yet again I wake up and some reasn the clock now says 7:10. Strange guess i must have dreamed some of it.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2134353 - 11/25/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

:razz:  yeah it sucks really bad actually.

all the noise too.  you won't even know that it's there either till you're somewhere quiet.  there's always something going on and you can hear it.  just noise

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Anonymous

#2134807 - 11/25/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I don't look at time anymore. I don't look at clocks. I don't even pay attention to when I sleep or wake up. Time is man made and one of the ways that they steal your soul. Every moment is the same as the last. We only exist in the now. I don't believe in school or work. I don't take part in this sick society. People say that I'm lazy but I think they're crazy!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale