Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKraut
Stranger
Loc: Germany
Damages from shrooms?
    #2132090 - 11/24/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Hi there,

this is my 3rd attempt composing my concern. The former ones became so long and confusing that I try to keep this one so short as possible and will explain details if someone is interested. So here we go ...

I had my first trip about two months ago with my best friend. Since then I notice some quirks at me.

One is that I have sometimes kinds of visual flashbacks! I didn?t have many or very impressive visuals while my trip. It was just some mild breathing of few shiny things, blurry tracers and one or two situations of cool morphings.
The most dominating visuals I had are a bit hard to describe ... when changing my view there was a kind of "jump". For example: I looked at my friend, then I looked down to my hand holding a cigarette and it was like "Whoops! A hand with a cigarette!". The way from my friends face to my hand somewhat didn?t exist so that the new sight came rather surprising to me.
This phenomenon sometimes occurs when I?m stoned from MJ. But even if I?m sober I get a strange view from time to time. Sometimes normal things look damn interesting even if I can?t tell why!

But these kind of visuals aren?t the main problem unfortunately. The bigger quirk I notice is that I somewhat keep hold of a feeling of the trip that was rather nasty. That is to say the loss of total knowledge. To explain this: While the trip we were on our owns because the fuckin tripsitter was "hindered". However, we lost knowledge of simple things and wandered around in my friends flat like zombies. Here some typical statements from the trip "Do I want something to drink?" "Do I have to pee?" "Does this taste well?" "Do we want to go into the livingroom?" and so on. And the answer to all the questions always was "dunno" or "perhaps". We even thought about writing "PERHAPS" at the kitchen wall with a big fat marker!  :wink: We weren?t able to make simple decisions, let alone handle the Hifi ... ehm ... thing (don?t know the term).
Well this helplessness comes back especially when I smoke MJ. Not even a quarter as strong as it was while the trip, but strong enough to recognize.

Uhm, now lost the thread cause I?m sitting at work. And the text became long and confusing again! However, any comments on that? Please!!!

P.S. A friend of mine recently told me that Psylocibin is a strong neuroTOXIC substance that kills braincells forever. That wasn?t very conductive to calm myself about my prob. Is that true???

--------------------
---------------------------------

Action -> Reaction ... so simple!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Kraut]
    #2132120 - 11/24/03 11:39 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

> A friend of mine recently told me that Psylocibin is a strong neuroTOXIC substance that kills braincells forever.

Incorrect. Your friend is very mistaken. No indication at all of brain damage even with massive dosages in any study.

This is how I view things... my own opinions... when you trip on mushrooms, or any other drug, you turn off filters in the brain. This is why you see visuals, why your perception of events is altered, etc. When the drug wears off, the filters come back, and life returns to normal... but... the brain remembers what it was like with the filters off... and there is a feeling that remains of the experience. For most people, this feeling will go away with time... give yourself a few weeks and see if it doesn't get better. Most importantly though, don't worry yourself to death that you physically damaged your brain.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #2132124 - 11/24/03 11:42 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I cant help you much, but this sensation happened to me too when shrooming. I never felt really brillant on shrooms, it always fuck me up bad :wink:
I really dont think Psylocibin is bad for brain cells...Anyway, almost everything kill brain cells... Alcohol, Aspirin...
Hell 15000 ( or 50000 Im not sure ) of our brain cell die everyday of our life and theyre not remplaced... Do you fell dumber each day ? :grin:
Its not only a matter of the number of brain cell remaining, our brain is way more complex than that.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Gus]
    #2132188 - 11/24/03 12:22 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

the only reason life looks fluidic when we walk around is because of a sensory memory that we have. That is the only reason we can read, as well (eyes actually dart all around, but sensory memory holds what we just read/saw so that it appears we are following one line). Basically you hold an image of what you just saw for a short period of time..and this creates the illusion of fluid motion (when in actuality its more like a roll of film).

That said, if that system is interfered with, you can lose the fluid motion, but its probably just a temporary short.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offlineenergy_ball_within
All thatis....Our mind
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2133145 - 11/24/03 08:10 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

its all good i get this same feeling daily. i will look here and then look there and ask myself, "did i just look 'here?". its amplified when i smoke herb, but i dont reflect on it too much sober or blown. its just something you will learn to live with in time. if anything i think i have become more knowledgable since shrooms and other psychodelics in the past.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#2133352 - 11/24/03 09:38 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

No worries! Brain cells do indeed grow back, it's been proven. And i've never known there to be any evidence or studies done that conclude psilocybin destorys brain cells.

I have had trips like yours too, but i've also had a trip where i ended getting a massive writers muse and ended up writing about 20 pages of philosophy. This was a great trip and I felt awesome the next day. The point is that every trip has been different for me in some way, bumbling idiot to philosopher savant. This is your first trip, there was probably alot of anxiety with it. Anyway people like Wasson, Leary, and Mckenna have done monumental amounts of psychedelics and they retained and even seemed to further their brain power. No worries man, everythings fine.

mycomancer

--------------------

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2133772 - 11/25/03 12:44 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

I'll tell you one thing though, the more you think your fucked the more you'll feel fucked. I was so worried after my first shroom trip that my brain cells had been clobbered that I turned a subtle head-ache into a giant migrain...power of the mind.

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2134143 - 11/25/03 03:51 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

I totally relate to your experience. Psilocybin flushes away the automated program our mind falls into in social scenarios and like Seuss said, it tears down the filters of your "normal" perception exposing you to a lot more information. This make systems of categorical thought we use every day like language seem silly and illogical when you're tripping.
THC and the activity of marijuana is similar in ways to mushrooms so you're being reminded of that initial shock of having mind barriers torn down. Don't worry about any sort of neurotoxicity. Psilocybin/psilocin are very similar molecularly to seratonin, your brains primary neurotransmitter. They stimulate the same receptors in the brain that cause you to perceive your everyday sensory input, so they have distinct and potent effects. No other type of chemical fits like a key in a lock in your mind machinery like psilocin and the other seratonergenic drugs and tryptamines. Well i suppose phenethylamines too, point is, mushrooms are a magical tool not to be classified as mere poison.

By the way, ist Deutsche deine erste Sprache?

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Viveka]
    #2142056 - 11/28/03 01:50 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Just relax, take it easy and see if you change. Think of how you were before the trip, after and then look back later and see if you've changed. Alot of people notice post-trip things and worry, usually its after the 1st trip. Most people consider it a temporary trick of the mind...atleast I do.

Offlineingo_2001
funky monkey

Loc: UK
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: DailyPot]
    #2142153 - 11/28/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

It's not damage, your just reliving the experience through the memory of the experience. For example, if you were to have a bad car crash and were to get back into a car you would probably relive the feelings you had when you had the car crash and start freaking out.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: ingo_2001]
    #2143078 - 11/28/03 10:11 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

nothing to worry about.. remember that you're probably overanalyzing things because you're worried.

OfflineAntoine_Roquetin
Stranger
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2145103 - 11/29/03 08:21 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
    #2145404 - 11/29/03 10:26 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

"P.S. A friend of mine recently told me that Psylocibin is a strong neuroTOXIC substance that kills braincells forever. That wasn?t very conductive to calm myself about my prob. Is that true???"

this kinda talk happens too frequently. BIG misconception. Q-So how do these shrooms make my brain do these funny things? A-do a search.

besides shrooms have been used by native people for tens of thousands of years. I haven't read one report from an anthropologist saying how their brains were rotten from injestion of fungi, cactus or anything else.

tell your friend he's really, really, really wrong.

"Do I have to pee?"
umm... if you're worrying about peeing dude....jeez...

hope this didn't come off too harsh. really. your just kinda finding out how your brain works. seems to being working overtime...
remember to breathe.

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Offlinebeatlebangboy
Absinthe-ian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bum Fuck Florida
Re: Damages from shrooms? [Re: Suby]
    #2145576 - 11/30/03 12:55 AM (13 years, 14 days ago)

I never felt like that while tripping. I was always in control. If I hadda pee, I hadda pee. If I went into the living room I went into the living room. Personally, if mushrooms effect you like that, I'd say absolutely don't do mushrooms. As far as the other visual stuff is concerned, I look foward to that kinda stuff. That's why I eat them in the first place.

-----------------------
My field got bigger when my standards got lower.
marty

--------------------
Check out my tunes. You will be better off for it.
www.myspace.com/beatlebangboy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience