Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession
    #21307794 - 02/21/15 11:02 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Environmentalists praised New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo last December when he moved to settle the longstanding debate over hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in his state and issued an all-out ban on the controversial gas-extraction method.

In New York’s Southern Tier, however, the ban was seen not as a cause for celebration but rather as the final straw, dashing hopes that the rural region's resource-rich land might be the golden ticket to a revitalized economy. As a result, a number of towns in this long-struggling rural region are contemplating whether they should make a break for it.

According to WBNG in Binghampton, 15 towns are interested in seceding to neighboring Pennsylvania. An organization called the Upstate New York Towns Association is looking into whether secession is even possible and, if so, whether it makes economic sense.

Fracking is legal in Pennsylvania, where thousands of wells are currently drilling into that state’s portion of the Marcellus Shale, the same gas-filled formation of sedimentary rock that sits below New York. For a region wrestling with steep state property taxes and dwindling industry, from manufacturing to farming, the fracking revenue their neighbors in Pennsylvania appear to be reaping is nothing short of enviable.

“Everybody over the border has new cars, new four-wheelers, new snowmobiles,” James Finch, a Republican supervisor for the small town of Conklin told Capital New York. “They have new roofs, new siding.”

Finch, clearly a vocal advocate for the secession movement, also spoke to WBNG, which first reported the unrest. Finch told the local news station that “the Southern Tier is desolate. We have no jobs and no income. The richest resource we have is in the ground.”

In lieu of fracking, Cuomo’s administration has pledged to invest $50 million in the Southern Tier, to fund things such as farming grants and a clean-energy plan in the region. Town leaders like Finch and others have dismissed the pledge as insufficient.

“They’re good ideas, but can they bring in the revenue? Can they bring in the jobs this area needs?” Carolyn Price, a Windsor town supervisor and secession supporter, said to Capital New York.

While Pennsylvania’s property taxes are also seen as part of the appeal for business owners, some proprietors are concerned about whether their existing enterprises would survive the secession. For a liquor store owner like Conklin’s Francis Larkin, the fact that Pennsylvania’s government has full control over all alcohol sales within the state is something to think about.

“From my standpoint, owning a liquor store, if we were part of Pennsylvania, it would be hard,” Larkin told WBNG.

This is hardly the first time parts of New York have threatened to secede, but no movement has been successful since the creation of Vermont during the Revolutionary War. That doesn’t seem to discourage this new wave of secessionists. One state senator has already mailed out a survey to gauge his constituents’ interest in seceding, and the Upstate New York Towns Association promises to keep the local media abreast of its findings as it weighs the pros and cons of leaving old New York.

The Southern Tier couldn’t simply run away, of course. The rest of the state’s lawmakers would have to agree to let those cities go, and even then, who knows if Pennsylvania would want to acquire them? To those desperate for a change, however, it might seem worth the long shot.

http://news.yahoo.com/cuomo-s-fracking-ban-has-some-new-york-towns-contemplating-secession-231435036.html

I think they should go ahead and secede libtards killing jobs and prosperity seems to be the norm now days.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #21307803 - 02/21/15 11:06 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I've lived in the polar opposite sides of NY for my whole life and let me make this clear.  Nothing will happen.

--------------------

"There are a million reasons to drink and one just popped into my head.  If a man can't drink when he's living how the Hell can he drink when he's dead?" - Irish Limerick
I PLURed once because it was PLUR or die. - D.M.T.

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #21307815 - 02/21/15 11:08 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Fracking is causing big environmental problems. I would not like to live anywhere near a fracking operation. The journal science just published a paper about the earthquakes fracking is causing and it's a scandal that these oil companies are getting a free pass as the structural damage these earthquakes cause adds up.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: koods] * 1
    #21307820 - 02/21/15 11:09 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Oh please fracking don't cause earthquakes. This is just more left wing bs to keep working people down and stuck in shitty jobs so they have to take government assistance.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #21307826 - 02/21/15 11:10 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Hey fracking is great. It gives us access to precious gas and and oil. But guess what, the fracking solution also gets into the groundwater. It ain't all just sand and water, though. They use some pretty toxic stuff in it too to increase the efficiency of the process. So if you like having to drink toxic water and getting cancer, so what? At least you'll have money in the bank, and that's all that counts.

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21307828 - 02/21/15 11:10 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Can't tell if stupid or a troll.

--------------------

"There are a million reasons to drink and one just popped into my head.  If a man can't drink when he's living how the Hell can he drink when he's dead?" - Irish Limerick

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307834 - 02/21/15 11:11 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Are fucking kidding me? Even the oil companies admit that fracking causes earthquakes, specifically the waste water injections.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Le_Canard]
    #21307840 - 02/21/15 11:12 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:
Hey fracking is great. It gives us access to precious gas and and oil. But guess what, the fracking solution also gets into the groundwater. It ain't all just sand and water, though. They use some pretty toxic stuff in it too to increase the efficiency of the process. So if you like having to drink toxic water and getting cancer, so what? At least you'll have money in the bank, and that's all that counts.

Yea everyone in North Dakota is dead from drinking toxic water :rolleyes:. This just more scare tactics to hurt the people working in the oil and gas industry.

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: koods]
    #21307848 - 02/21/15 11:14 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Are fucking kidding me? Even the oil companies admit that fracking causes earthquakes, specifically the waste water injections.

Source? Why isn't North dakota decimated from earthquakes. I am sure the industry takes many safety precautions.

--------------------

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307855 - 02/21/15 11:15 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Coping with earthquakes induced by fluid injection
Quote:

Large areas of the United States long considered geologically stable with little or no detected seismicity have recently become seismically active. The increase in earthquake activity began in the mid-continent starting in 2001 (1) and has continued to rise. In 2014, the rate of occurrence of earthquakes with magnitudes (M) of 3 and greater in Oklahoma exceeded that in California (see the figure). This elevated activity includes larger earthquakes, several with M > 5, that have caused significant damage (2, 3). To a large extent, the increasing rate of earthquakes in the mid-continent is due to fluid-injection activities used in modern energy production (1, 4, 5). We explore potential avenues for mitigating effects of induced seismicity. Although the United States is our focus here, Canada, China, the UK, and others confront similar problems associated with oil and gas production, whereas quakes induced by geothermal activities affect Switzerland, Germany, and others.

Until the oil and has industry puts up money to pay for the damage they cause to infrastructure and property, they should not be allowed to continue their operations. They need to take responsibility for their actions, not just profits.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (02/21/15 11:16 AM)

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: koods]
    #21307860 - 02/21/15 11:16 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

He's just trolling Koods don't let him bother you.

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: The Doobie Dude] * 1
    #21307872 - 02/21/15 11:18 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Doobie if you have nothing to offer the debate please don't post in this thread.

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#21307881 - 02/21/15 11:20 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Koods I can't read the full article is it free to sign up?

--------------------

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307886 - 02/21/15 11:21 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (02/21/15 11:22 AM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21307887 - 02/21/15 11:21 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well, it does take time. Ranchers in the area are noticing some serious health problems in cattle and what not, due to this and some pretty shady tactics by the drilling company, like like illegally dumping toxic waste. Give it time. I know you're of the mind that corporations can do no wrong and they're just absolute angels, but I'm sad to report to you that they have all the ethics and morals of a starving hyena.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #21307899 - 02/21/15 11:24 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
Quote:

koods said:

Source? Why isn't North dakota decimated from earthquakes. I am sure the industry takes many safety precautions.

http://billmoyers.com/2015/01/09/first-time-scientists-prove-fracking-caused-earthquake-strong-enough-felt-humans/

I think the risk varies quite a bit on types of earth structure, i.e. places in the south I feel it can be a lot more devastating due to the weaker nature of the earths structure, leading to sink holes etc.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21307905 - 02/21/15 11:25 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
Doobie if you have nothing to offer the debate please don't post in this thread.

I live in 2 parts of New York everything I have to say is vital.  Quit your trolling and get the fuck outta my state you Canadian!

--------------------

Offlineelborito
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Obscure
    #21307907 - 02/21/15 11:25 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

“Everybody over the border has new cars, new four-wheelers, new snowmobiles,” And here this poor guy is, in the poverty stricken hell hole of New York with his old car, four wheeler and snowmobile. :doublefacepalm:

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Le_Canard]
    #21307910 - 02/21/15 11:26 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

"Fracking causes small earthquakes, but they are almost always too small to be a safety concern."
http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9833/3428

Just as I suspected a few small earthquakes and then the environmentalist hysteria begins. I think a few small quakes are a small price to pay for providing stable middle class jobs.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#21307914 - 02/21/15 11:27 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think it's even economically feasible to start new fracking projects with oil at $50 today, in fact many oil companies around the country are going to be forced to close some production due to the poor oil price.

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: twighead]
    #21307919 - 02/21/15 11:28 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

http://kfor.com/2015/02/21/usgs-fracking-is-the-cause-of-earthquakes-in-oklahoma/

I'm in Dallas now and they had a series of earthquakes a few weeks ago

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

#21307928 - 02/21/15 11:30 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

It'll bounce back soon enough, guaranteed. Would be nice if the 'up down' 'winter summer' oil cycle skipped a year though, would be neat to go on a good cheap road trip this summer.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#21307937 - 02/21/15 11:31 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

How bad were the quakes though? If there just little minor blips I don't see what the fuss is about. Far more important to keep people employed and have the economy keep humming.

--------------------

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307944 - 02/21/15 11:33 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
"Fracking causes small earthquakes, but they are almost always too small to be a safety concern."
http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9833/3428

Just as I suspected a few small earthquakes and then the environmentalist hysteria begins. I think a few small quakes are a small price to pay for providing stable middle class jobs.

Well until the oil companies agree to pay for the damages their earthquakes cause they shouldn't be allowed to operate. Do you not think they should be responsible for their activities? The amount of money is not small. Oklahoma had over five hundred earthquakes last year. Their largest earthquake was a 5.7 that caused tens of millions in property damage. Maybe a couple thousand dollars per property owner. How does the industry plan on reimbursing people?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307953 - 02/21/15 11:34 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Small earthquakes cause damage that adds up. Foundations sink, wells collapse, small cracks form in brick. Shit adds up Gil and the industry isn't taking any responsibility.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#21307955 - 02/21/15 11:35 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

If its that severe and can actually be linked to the fracking operation I see no problem with reimbursing property owners for damages.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: twighead]
    #21307963 - 02/21/15 11:37 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

twighead said:
It'll bounce back soon enough, guaranteed. Would be nice if the 'up down' 'winter summer' oil cycle skipped a year though, would be neat to go on a good cheap road trip this summer.

You don't start projects that are not profitable on the premise that "It'll bounce back soon enough". 

The price of oil has come down over -50% in the last 6 months, that's based on growing supply in a world of weak global demand, and no one is cutting production despite the decline in the price.

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21307973 - 02/21/15 11:38 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Well they don't. And the small ones add up. Maybe twenty years from now when you home value has plummeted because the floors aren't flat and the walls are full of cracks. What a load of bullshit. Everyone with a dozen miles of their fracking operation pays the price and they take their profits. Do you understand why people think these companies are evil?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlineelborito
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Obscure
    #21307974 - 02/21/15 11:39 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
How bad were the quakes though? If there just little minor blips I don't see what the fuss is about. Far more important to keep people employed and have the economy keep humming.

Are you fucking serious right now? If it's causing any sort of earthquakes in the short term surely they're just the tip of the iceberg.  Some other peoples jobs wot mean shit to you if one of these "minor blips" leads to a loved ones death.

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21307981 - 02/21/15 11:40 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Let me ask you a question, do you live in NY state?  Actually a question for this thread.  How many people live in NY state?  Whatever happened to states rights?  When did everyone else get to tell another state what to do? 

If you ain't from NY you have jack shit to say.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#21307985 - 02/21/15 11:41 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Pfft! You guys care nothing for the middle class. Sure it provides jobs, but the oil and gas will run out. Then what? All we have left now is a toxic wasteland. You sell economic prosperity to all, yet ultimately only the very few are left with profit, while everybody else gets misery and death.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: qman]
    #21307989 - 02/21/15 11:42 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

twighead said:

You don't start projects that are not profitable on the premise that "It'll bounce back soon enough". 

The price of oil has come down over -50% in the last 6 months, that's based on growing supply in a world of weak global demand, and no one is cutting production despite the decline in the price.

Sure, I would assume they wouldn't build new at the moment - but honestly the prices are being kept artificially low at the moment, as they were artificially high earlier :shrug:

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

#21307993 - 02/21/15 11:43 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:
Pfft! You guys care nothing for the middle class. Sure it provides jobs, but the oil and gas will run out. Then what? All we have left now is a toxic wasteland. You sell economic prosperity to all, yet ultimately only the very few are left with profit, while everybody else gets misery and death.

Precisely, I haven't seen a cent of redwood logging profit from 150 years ago, yet 95% OF THE MOST BADASS FOREST ON THE PLANET IS GONE FOREVER AND WE DONT GET SHIT FOR IT :lol:

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: twighead] * 1
    #21308026 - 02/21/15 11:53 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20150117-usgs-likely-to-upgrade-north-texas-quake-risk-level.ece

Quote:

Until now, North Texas has been one of the least likely places in the country to have an earthquake.

But after the Dallas area suffered a series of more than 120 quakes since 2008, the U.S. Geological Survey is re-evaluating the metroplex’s “seismic hazard” — or the risk of experiencing earthquakes.

This year, for the first time, the USGS will include quakes believed to have been caused by human activity in its National Seismic Hazard Map, which engineers use to write and revise building codes, and which insurers use to set rates.

The map predicts where future earthquakes will occur, how often they will occur and how strongly they will shake the ground.

The USGS probably will dial up the earthquake risk for the Dallas-Fort Worth area, though the increase may be small, said Mark Petersen, chief of the agency’s National Seismic Hazard Project in Golden, Colo.

Scientists have linked two local earthquake clusters with wastewater injection wells, where companies dispose of fluids used in the hydraulic fracturing process. One cluster began in 2008 near Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The second occurred near Cleburne in 2009.

Researchers are investigating two more recent clusters: one in Azle and another in Irving that continued Saturday with a 2.2-magnitude quake that was reported about 8 p.m.

Petersen said the updated version of the map would be published before the end of the year.

The increase in tremors, which is also happening in Oklahoma, Colorado and other parts of the country, is changing the way seismologists think about earthquakes.

“We’re putting a lot of effort into understanding this,” Petersen said.

Between 2010 and 2013, people living in the central and eastern U.S. felt five times as many quakes per year, on average, as they did between 1970 and 2000. Scientists have linked many of these earthquakes to human activities, including parts of the oil and gas production process.

While larger quakes are unlikely in North Texas, scientists can’t rule out the possibility. In 2011, a 5.7-magnitude temblor struck near injection wells in Oklahoma, causing widespread damage.

6 million people are gonna be paying higher insurance premiums Gil. Who's gonna pay for that? Fracking should be banned until the industry sets up a fund with billions of dollars to cover these costs. Take some fucking responsibility.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Edited by koods (02/21/15 11:55 AM)

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Le_Canard] * 1
    #21308060 - 02/21/15 12:07 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:
I'm sad to report to you that they have all the ethics and morals of a starving hyena.

Sounds like the government to me. :smirk:

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: starfire_xes]
    #21308086 - 02/21/15 12:14 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

That's why you got to keep them at each other's throats.

Chaos is your only friend.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #21313286 - 02/22/15 01:57 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

Large areas of the United States long considered geologically stable with little or no detected seismicity have recently become seismically active. The increase in earthquake activity began in the mid-continent starting in 2001 (1) and has continued to rise. In 2014, the rate of occurrence of earthquakes with magnitudes (M) of 3 and greater in Oklahoma exceeded that in California (see the figure). This elevated activity includes larger earthquakes, several with M > 5, that have caused significant damage (2, 3). To a large extent, the increasing rate of earthquakes in the mid-continent is due to fluid-injection activities used in modern energy production (1, 4, 5). We explore potential avenues for mitigating effects of induced seismicity. Although the United States is our focus here, Canada, China, the UK, and others confront similar problems associated with oil and gas production, whereas quakes induced by geothermal activities affect Switzerland, Germany, and others.

Until the oil and has industry puts up money to pay for the damage they cause to infrastructure and property, they should not be allowed to continue their operations. They need to take responsibility for their actions, not just profits.

"Read the full text" is not available

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21313299 - 02/22/15 01:59 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Well they don't. And the small ones add up. Maybe twenty years from now when you home value has plummeted because the floors aren't flat and the walls are full of cracks. What a load of bullshit. Everyone with a dozen miles of their fracking operation pays the price and they take their profits. Do you understand why people think these companies are evil?

I understand that you are a hyperbolic hyperventilater.  This is, quite clearly, utter bullshit.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21313308 - 02/22/15 02:02 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Zappa you're wrong and full of love and cuddles get out you live in TX now.  You lost your say.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #21313310 - 02/22/15 02:03 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Something all of you who do not live in NY probably don't realize.  Upstate NY, say from the point at which the commuter lines to NYC end, is very poor.  They are utterly fucked by being shackled with rules that are tailored to NYC.  Fracking is safe.  It has been used for decades and all the alarmists nitwits, like that asshole with the flaming tap water documentary, are full fo shit.  Do you know another reason oil and gas prices are going down?  Fracking.  Frack here, frack now

--------------------

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21313315 - 02/22/15 02:04 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

The jokes is one the New York towns. Secession is not allowed by the constitution. Not even a state can secede.

Nice try small towns NY.

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#21313319 - 02/22/15 02:06 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Something all of you who do not live in NY probably don't realize.  Upstate NY, say from the point at which the commuter lines to NYC end, is very poor.  They are utterly fucked by being shackled with rules that are tailored to NYC.  Fracking is safe.  It has been used for decades and all the alarmists nitwits, like that asshole with the flaming tap water documentary, are full fo shit.  Do you know another reason oil and gas prices are going down?  Fracking.  Frack here, frack now

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: The Doobie Dude]
    #21313341 - 02/22/15 02:11 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The Doobie Dude said:
Zappa you're wrong and full of love and cuddles get out you live in TX now.  You lost your say.

Don't touch me, ya creep.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21313344 - 02/22/15 02:12 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

You're the one that keeps late night PMing me for nudes

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: The Doobie Dude]
    #21313348 - 02/22/15 02:13 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

And you're the one that never delivers.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21313351 - 02/22/15 02:15 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe if you give me your daughters number so she can come over to my apartment and party for real.

--------------------

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#21313365 - 02/22/15 02:19 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

"Read the full text" is not available

Read the full text will cost you money... It's a journal article.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21313403 - 02/22/15 02:31 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

As I understand it, most of the fracking jobs go to workers who travel around the country following the work, so the poor jobless guys in NY aren't going to see much benefit from fracking. The only local people who really win are landlords and hotel owners, because the rent prices get jacked up by all the sudden demand for housing. So, now the poor parts of NY are filled with drifters, and the po-mofos who actually live there can't afford to pay rent anymore.

Fracking is safe when it is done properly. The pipes that carry the gas need to be shielded to depths well below the water levels. It's less costly not to do that, so it's common for the companies to cheap out on the shielding, which can and has caused damage to water supplies. The safety regulations around fracking are not what they should be.

Fracking has nothing to do with the recent drop in oil prices. That's just silly. Fracking has been around for a while now, and our natural gas production is mouse nuts in the world oil market. Something else is causing the recent drop. I don't know what it is, but it's not fracking.

P.S.
All you guys who said NY is the only state that gets a say in this are out of line. What about PA? Maybe they don't want the poor parts of NY. PA's probably already got it's hands full with allowing it's people to be exploited by the fracking companies.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21313405 - 02/22/15 02:31 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Mr.GuessWork]
    #21313406 - 02/22/15 02:31 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Those frackers are notorious crackheads, too.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: Mr.GuessWork]
    #21313416 - 02/22/15 02:34 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mr.GuessWork said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

As I understand it, most of the fracking jobs go to workers who travel around the country following the work, so the poor jobless guys in NY aren't going to see much benefit from fracking. The only local people who really win are landlords and hotel owners, because the rent prices get jacked up by all the sudden demand for housing. So, now the poor parts of NY are filled with drifters, and the po-mofos who actually live there can't afford to pay rent anymore.

Do those workers not eat and live in housing?
Quote:

Fracking is safe when it is done properly. The pipes that carry the gas need to be shielded to depths well below the water levels. It's less costly not to do that, so it's common for the companies to cheap out on the shielding, which can and has caused damage to water supplies. The safety regulations around fracking are not what they should be.

Where?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/halliburton-executive-drinks-fracking-fluid_n_933621.html

Quote:

Fracking has nothing to do with the recent drop in oil prices. That's just silly. Fracking has been around for a while now, and our natural gas production is mouse nuts in the world oil market. Something else is causing the recent drop. I don't know what it is, but it's not fracking.

Oh yes it most certainly does.  Increasing supply is just as effective as decreasing demand.
Quote:

P.S.
All you guys who said NY is the only state that gets a say in this are out of line. What about PA? Maybe they don't want the poor parts of NY. PA's probably already got it's hands full with allowing it's people to be exploited by the fracking companies.

By being exploited you mean having jobs, both direct and support, and getting paid for leases.

--------------------

InvisibleThe Doobie Dude

#21313443 - 02/22/15 02:43 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Zappa I'm waiting for your daughters phone number

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21313461 - 02/22/15 02:48 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

It is 4.  Press 4 and hold it down for a little while.

--------------------

InvisibleChinChiller
Male

#21313500 - 02/22/15 02:59 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
Quote:

koods said:

Bakken Shale is some of the most toxic oil there is containing more than double the toxic gases and levels of benzen,toluene, naptha and other highly volatile bullshit. The Wall Street Jounral had an anaylsis in the paper. Im happy oil prices are so low, my buddy even works in ND and recently was working only 2 days a week HA.
Its nice to keep a balance, let oil prices drop so low we continue halting exploration of new wells.

Edited by ChinChiller (02/22/15 03:03 PM)

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21313504 - 02/22/15 03:00 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Mr.GuessWork said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Do those workers not eat and live in housing?

Ya, they do, but that makes it more expensive for the locals to live there. Most of the profits go to migratory(right word?) workers, so the profits from the new jobs tend to leave the area, and the area remains poor and only slightly less jobless.

Quote:

Quote:

Where?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/halliburton-executive-drinks-fracking-fluid_n_933621.html

The gas companies like to make settlements so they don't have to disclose the problems and ruin their image. The problems are rare and hyped up, but they do exist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/us/04natgas.html?pagewanted=all

Quote:

Quote:

Oh yes it most certainly does.  Increasing supply is just as effective as decreasing demand.

The point is that a tiny increase here will not affect the whole worlds oil supply or demand, and it's the world supply and demand that affects oil pricing (among many other things of course). It's a global market and natural gas is a tiny itty-bitty little piece of it.

Quote:

Quote:

P.S.

By being exploited you mean having jobs, both direct and support, and getting paid for leases.

Ya, that's pretty much what I mean :smile:. I live in PA, and most people do like fracking. There are a few local jobs created by it, and people generally like getting an extra couple hundred thousand dollars from a lease. I haven't even heard of any water damage around my area. People do get screwed over by the legal stuff though, so there is some exploitation going on; usually when they're pissed it's because they got a shit deal and can't get a better one. But I was mostly not being serious with that last bit.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21313528 - 02/22/15 03:11 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #21313620 - 02/22/15 03:37 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

You can't debate a liberal using reason and facts, Zappa.

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21313628 - 02/22/15 03:39 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Look, economic activity spreads to almost all in an area one way or another.  If somebody signed a shitty contract without doing due diligence, tough shit.  Any increase in suopply, especially in the US has a negative effect on prices and fracking and shale are not tiny.  Also demand has not declined

https://www.google.com/search?q=2014+global+oil+consumption&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gFPqVJLZCcyMNt2-g_gE&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643#imgdii=_&imgrc=45UnkDuH0UkvyM%253A%3B8jgzw4T3TeYJ6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffinancialpostbusiness.files.wordpress.com%252F2013%252F12%252Ffp1212_oil_demand_c_ab.jpeg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbusiness.financialpost.com%252F2013%252F12%252F11%252Fiea-boosts-2014-global-oil-demand-forecast-on-u-s-recovery%252F%3B1240%3B569

ya, demand for oil and gas is and will be on the rise worldwide for a long while, and we import a lot of oil. No argument there. Fracking isn't the cause of the big drop in gas prices recently though.  fracking has been growing pretty steadily for years, so I wouldn't expect to see a such a sudden and drastic drop in oil prices to be caused by fracking. From what I was reading it's mostly a result of the major oil suppliers disagreeing on the minimum to charge for oil.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-4

And also, yes, the exploitation in my area consists of people getting a worse deal than they could have gotten. Sure they still get lots of money, and they signed a contract, and lawyer trickery should be expected from any major company that makes it's money by buying resources from plebs, but none of that makes it right. These are poor working class people, most of whom didn't get any education past high school, and they're easy to take advantage of. It's pretty standard exploitation, but it's exploitation none the less.

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: mpd]
    #21313637 - 02/22/15 03:41 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mpd said:

That's hurtful. Calling me a liberal...

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#21313655 - 02/22/15 03:50 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mr.GuessWork said:
Quote:

mpd said:

Libtard?

--------------------

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #21313666 - 02/22/15 03:54 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:
Quote:

Mr.GuessWork said:
Quote:

mpd said:

Libtard?

That word play only shows that you don't understand that the word liberal already implies idiocy.

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #21313693 - 02/22/15 04:05 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:cookiemonster: The internet.  Where a retard's opinion is always welcome :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: fbi365]
    #21313719 - 02/22/15 04:14 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

^At this point I can't tell if you're referring to anyone in particular or just making a general statement.

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #21313744 - 02/22/15 04:21 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Both

--------------------

InvisibleMr.GuessWork
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: fbi365]
    #21313746 - 02/22/15 04:22 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I thought so.

InvisibleChinChiller
Male

#21316701 - 02/23/15 09:44 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Also US Geological Survey~~

Coping with Earthquakes Induced by Fluid Injection

Quote:

Large areas of the United States that used to experience few or no earthquakes have, in recent years, experienced a remarkable increase in earthquake activity that has caused considerable public concern as well as damage to structures. This rise in seismic activity, especially in the central United States, is not the result of natural processes.

Instead, the increased seismicity is due to fluid injection associated with new technologies that enable the extraction of oil and gas from previously unproductive reservoirs. These modern extraction techniques result in large quantities of wastewater produced along with the oil and gas. The disposal of this wastewater by deep injection occasionally results in earthquakes that are large enough to be felt, and sometimes damaging. Deep injection of wastewater is the primary cause of the dramatic rise in detected earthquakes and the corresponding increase in seismic hazard in the central U.S. 

InvisibleChinChiller
Male

Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: ChinChiller]
    #21316706 - 02/23/15 09:45 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

If you deny that its just sheer fucking ignorance on your part, or intentionally ignoring the facts due to greed.

Edited by ChinChiller (02/23/15 09:45 AM)

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Cuomo's fracking ban has some New York towns contemplating secession [Re: ChinChiller]
    #21316896 - 02/23/15 10:24 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

have you guys read my thread about fracking and oil prices?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21313876

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates