Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

colonizing bulk straw
    #2128950 - 11/22/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

6 quarts used to innoc 10 inches which compressed to around 5 inches two cement blocks were placed on top for compression. The blocks were removed yesterday because the mycelia network has grown mostly together and now keeps the uncompressed straw from rising. something observed was the straw on top is not really colonizing well. It was really smashed down by the concrete, oh yeah their was platic wrap with holes punched in it laying on the straw before the cinder blocks on top. So their is absolutely no air between the wrap and the straw. Should the plastic be removed? Kind of like when the jar lids are loosend. the rubbermaid top could remain on tto keep CO2 levels high still. Only reason I ask is that someone else had a similar project where they never put the wrap on, and I kind of thought that the wrap and the compression meant to speed things up. Also I have seen some people mention removing the uncolonized straw before casing. Is this a last resort technique, or do people frequently do this? I've seen this take up to a week, but I think mycolfile said it's best to get it colonized in that first 10 days after pastuerization window.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: colonizing bulk straw [Re: thisone]
    #2129040 - 11/22/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

yes, the faster you can colonize the mycelia the better; however I'm a little iffy on your tek. First compression, I've found to not really be the hinderance when it comes to colonizing bulk spawn. It's the quality of spawn and the way it's been pasteurized (correctly, right??) Anyway, you're probably doing more harm by weighing it down with cinderblocks: You don't allow for ample air exchange within the spawn, contamination risks and from what you have observed a halt in colonization in areas that have been squashed to death. Some people take the risk of removing uncolonized substrate, it's basically a gamble; one I choose not to take. You want all the nutrients you can muster (especially with straw).

Good Luck.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: colonizing bulk straw [Re: soochi]
    #2129116 - 11/22/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

so don't take the gamle and let it fully colonize, so compression is not good? that's thry contrary to many other teks and opinons, myabe there should have been an extra cushion layer between the plastic and cinerblocks? So what should be done, now that the blocks are off but seemed the squish down the plastic very tightly between the straw which from one source I heard is not good in making straw logs to have any space at all but, like you said it seems if it were a bit more loose more air exchange could take place. Should the plastic be removed completely or maybe taken off and gently laid on top? I thought that step was for after it's cased?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2129146 - 11/22/03 02:55 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Hmm...compression is good, but i dont recall any of the teks saying that it should be compressed thruout the spawn run...and air exchange should be simple enough. Poke holes in the saran wrap/plastic/whatever. Just what i'd do.
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: colonizing bulk straw [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2129174 - 11/22/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

how tight is the saran warp against the straw? Is there any air gap?

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2129224 - 11/22/03 04:00 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

It's not very tight...just enough to create a semi-seal to keep in most of the moisture until i case it and cover the top of the box. So there's a bit of airspace in between the wrap, but not all that much...maybe a centimeter or two at most, and thats just because the substrates uneven.
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation