Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Shoukd one use a bottom casing layer?
    #2126631 - 11/21/03 03:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I know things like his have been posted before but I just wanted to conduct a poll. :smirk:

Bottom Casing layer ???? yay or nay?????

Like I said I know this has been posted before and I know the pros and cons I just wanted to see how the poll turns out , and if anyone wants to comment FOR or AGAINST bottom layers that would be cool.

Here is some stuff from the FAH-q

Should I use a bottom casing layer? 

There is a very popular debate in the OMC (online mushroom community) about whether or not to add a bottom casing layer to a casing (usually a vermiculite or sometimes coir layer, notwithstanding what you used to case the top layer with). TMC refers to a bottom casing layer only once: "As an option, a layer of partially moistened vermiculite can be placed along the bottom of the trayto absorb excess water. (TMC p 134, Emphasis added). Some of the arguments for each are as follows:

No bottom casing layer:
1.) Bottom casing layers can harbor contamination that is difficult to see and detect until too late. (This is the major argument against bottom casing layers).
2.) It is superfluous and also adds more hassle than its worth. Casings fruit as well without them and are extra work.
3.) A bottom casing layer takes up too much additional room for not enough return. Space within a casing container is at a premium (since the thicker the substrate layer=the larger the flushes), and it is wasted with the addition of the bottom layer.

Bottom casing layer:
1.) The bottom casing layer acts as an additional reservoir of water from which the substrate can be supported (as well as the top layer). Since mushrooms are 90% water, the more additional moisture (up to a point where it does not soak the substrate) will produce heartier and happier flushes. Bottom casing layers can also be supplemented with additional water after the 1st flush, when casings tend to Pull away from the sides of the container. Water can be added through this small shrinkage, helping the 2nd flush along.
2.) The bottom casing layer also can act as a "run -off" where excess water and mycelial waste (mycelia produce a yellowish liquid waste when colonizing and fruiting) collect.
3.) The bottom casing layer acts as a light barrier - so that casings don't pin on the bottom. Pinning on the bottom can be a problem - if mushrooms grow at the bottom of a casing, it is difficult to remove them without disturbing the casing. But pins can rot, opening up a new vector of contamination.

Some people don't use a "bottom casing layer" per se - instead they layer the bottom of the casing container with moistened perlite. This acts to "raise" the substrate and act as a shield against any runoff or mycelial waste which may accumulate there. Adding perlite can also raise the RH (relative humidity) as it wicks water into the substrate.

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Shoukd one use a bottom casing layer? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2126776 - 11/21/03 08:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you're talking cased grain, I add a bottom layer 60/40 because water is the most important ingredient, since 90%+ of a shroom is water. The mycelium network will draw on water from the top casing as well as the bottom, and you can even add field capacity sterilised vermiculite into the substrate to crank up the water load some more. Go drainage holes too so you don't water overload. Use a flower planter or pot. After 1st flush is over, dunk tray under water over night with a brick or other heavy object in a tub or sink. Let it drain 30 mins, back to the fruiting terrarium. Repeat dunks for the number of flushes, generally 3 to 4 practical flushes. That bottom layer sure holds more wet stuff than the top, because it can be twice as thick.

Convert Metric and Imperial.

Re: Shoukd one use a bottom casing layer? [Re: Starter]
    #2126914 - 11/21/03 10:26 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ive done it both ways and have seen no difference in the bottom casing layer, i use it since there is no bad difference the only thing left to do is help, so IMO go for it

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation