Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineanarchyhollow
Creator, DrugExploree

Loc: Heart
being able to clearly think and understand
    #2124743 - 11/20/03 09:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have a problem... My problem is that i am and want to be a very spiritual person and a deep thinker, but i can never really comprehend 'big' ideas that i read. I think it is because i've smoked so much bud, that i cannot think correctly. Well, i quit today after 5 long years of being a pothead and i hope it helps. Does it just take time to understand big ideas? Please help in any way possible. Peace

--------------------
See, the shrooms explore me. They riddle my mind, they teach me the eternal with direct experience. My soul is one with existance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: anarchyhollow]
    #2124787 - 11/20/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Some 'big ideas' are just plain malarkey. Ask for plain language, non-bullshit explanations. If a person cannot explain something they promulgate, they may not understand what they believe. Try to find common themes or threads with things that you already understand (this helps me), knowledge needs foundations. Keep a dictionary handy, but realize that words have personal meanings for those using them - you may actually be talking about two different things while using the same labels.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: Evolving]
    #2124809 - 11/20/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

NO, The BIG ideas cannot be understood untill you USE NATURE IN BIGGER AMOUNTS. Well we might all work dirffrently but i NEVER understood any of the big ideas and theories until i started smoking pot and reading them at the same time. My sensoring system goes bazirk but that only makes me realize that my reality is just my sensory system itself trying to give reality to me in a way i can understand and cope with ( vision, hearing, touch, smell, smelling). It helps me look at everything from an "alien" point of view, in other words, the BIG picture. But could very well all have our own methods of controling the brain so i guess it wouldnt hurt to try going sober.

--------------------

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #2124942 - 11/20/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"if the truth is told, as to be understood, it will be believed"
Terence McKenna

I disagree with some of his ideas... But I think he hit the nail on the head on that one

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2125036 - 11/20/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ask for plain language. If a person cannot explain something they promulgate,

What is "promulgate"? Can't you speak in easy-to-understand words?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: Swami]
    #2125069 - 11/20/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

promulgate, never heard of it before, but webster defines it as: "to make known"

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2125079 - 11/20/03 12:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> My problem is that i am and want to be a very spiritual person and a deep thinker, but i can never really comprehend 'big' ideas that i read.

If it were easy, everybody would be doing it. You have to train your mind to think, just like an athlete trains their body. Take some classes in logic and philosophy as well. Don't worry about other people's big ideas... some are beyond comprehension, some are bogus, etc.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: Seuss]
    #2125088 - 11/20/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Before understanding big ideas, you'll have to understand the small ones first.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2125103 - 11/20/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Ask for plain language. If a person cannot explain something they promulgate,

What is "promulgate"? Can't you speak in easy-to-understand words?

I wrote that way on purpose. Why am I not surprised that you were the first one to get this?

P.S. I did not 'speak' the words, typed them on my keyboard.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (11/20/03 12:55 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: MAIA]
    #2125105 - 11/20/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Start with the letter "A". When you have fully grokked its essence you may move on to the other letters...

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2125115 - 11/20/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> Start with the letter "A". When you have fully grokked its essence you may move on to the other letters...

Ummm... which one is "A" again?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2125148 - 11/20/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

P.S. I did not 'speak' the words, typed them on my keyboard.

Assumption overload. I did not state that you spoke them, NOW DID I? I merely inquired as to your speaking abilities... :smile: 

--------------------

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting
Loc: The land of The People
    #2125231 - 11/20/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey,

If you feel reefer is clouding your ability to think then stop. Personally, reefer doesn't bother me. I am just as cognitive stoned as I am not-stoned. later.

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: medicinebag]
    #2125248 - 11/20/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Assumption overload. I did not state that you spoke them, NOW DID I? I merely inquired as to your speaking abilities...

ACTUALLY Swami, I think he's got you on this one..  you did say "can't you speak in easy to"....

Nice try at recovery tho..  2 points for that :wink:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting
Loc: The land of The People
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: nubious]
    #2125295 - 11/20/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Edit: I have erased this post as it was irrelevant to the thread.

Edited by medicinebag (11/21/03 09:52 AM)

Anonymous

#2125597 - 11/20/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

what sorts of big ideas are you talking about?

Offlinestart25
    #2125667 - 11/20/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey man, not everyone understands the intricacies of quantum mechanics and string theory like people here. Don?t fret, keep blazing.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: start25]
    #2125697 - 11/20/03 05:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Try reading some Kant and you will think that for a man with as great a mind as his, how much greater would it have to be to communicate his philosophy for the common man to understand? I think some of the greatest minds are those that can bring the normal minds into their ideas. If these philosophers, with these great ideas, are trying to explain reality (isn't that really all philosophy is?), then shouldn't it be accessible to everyone?

I dont' want to sound all pompous, I tried reading Kant and gave up. I think you can get much from simplicity, reading a lot of the posts here has given me a lot of insight. I dont' think your troubles have anything to do with pot, I think they are natural, adn you shouldn't think of yourself as hindered, but rather, growing.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: jong21]
    #2125700 - 11/20/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I want to add, I'm not insulting the great philosophers like Kant, I just am saying that you shouldn't expect yourself to understand it. You CERTAINLY aren't alone. Just keep reading, if something seems too hard to understand, read it agian, and if that doesn't work, set it aside and come back to it later. Don't stress yourself out trying to understand, just keep looking for new ideas.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: being able to clearly think and understand [Re: jong21]
    #2126640 - 11/21/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

To the originator of this post,
here is my advice.... First Meditate...alot. you dont have to be a genius to do it, and actually intellicualizing can get in the way. I thought i pretty much knew how things were and for the most part when i eventually "felt" how things were, my feelling confirmed much of what i thought i knew, but knowing something is no comfort compared to feeling something. Not everybody has the same capacity to understand intellectually but just about anybody can feel. But having said that, i suggest you be skeptical of any insights you do eventually have. I'm not actually sure that anything i've experienced is true, or what it appeared to be. All i really know, is that it was profound, and im glad it happened, i needed it to happen. IF you feel it, you'll know it intuitively, you may not be able to articulate it even to yourself (can anyone?), you may not be able to compose beautiful hiakus describing it, or write a scientific paper explaining why its true, but when you feel it you will intrisically understand it. (even if its a lie)  :wink:
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale