Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
MATRIX DEFENCE
    #2124810 - 11/20/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I was watching some program lastnight called the Matrix, so i thought it was gona be something about the movie. Instead it was about people who murdered people and try to blame the matrix film with such excuses as she was sucking my dna into the matrix i had to kill her or she would kill me. Then there was some psychological stuff as to why the matrix films are bad ect.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Edited by jezu (11/21/03 05:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: EvilGir]
    #2125002 - 11/20/03 12:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I didn't see that program and I don't really get the jist of it. Was it a UK program? What network/station. oh, and was the rull name of the program "Matrix"?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2125044 - 11/20/03 12:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That's the "meatrix" not the matrix.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: MAIA]
    #2126755 - 11/21/03 05:15 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well it was on C5 in the uk it was called something like The Matrix Defence or something like that i cant remember the last name. But there where just crazy people on there with guns. the program its self was about people who had murdered and in there defense there where trying to convince the court that they where living in the matrix and that people where conspiring against them. So they had to kill or be killed. I am sure some of them got off by being crazy or something.

Anyway here is a link to the program info.

MATRIX DEFENCE

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Edited by jezu (11/21/03 05:21 AM)

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: EvilGir]
    #2127648 - 11/21/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well im going to throw a rock at my Muslim neighboor and blame Bush, lets see if we can get him in hot water! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: Spokesman]
    #2128072 - 11/21/03 06:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

the matrix is so over-rated that it saddens me. The so-called philosophical content of the film is sooooo basic. Its the intellectual equivilent of Kraft Dinner.

Anonymous

Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2128102 - 11/21/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hahaha. right on man.

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: ]
    #2128578 - 11/22/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You can read any book on zen, or philosophy or whatever and ofcourse it is going to go into way more depth then a movie, but the matrix was one of the first if not only movies to really showcase some of these ideas. It put them out there for the masses, most of which have little or any exposure to those ideas, and never cared to. It got them to actually think for a moment. Ofcourse not all of them. I heard lots of people say, wow that was over my head, but man what a great movie, but just the fact that they openly admitted that they had little or no understanding of those concepts in my mind is a good thing. And it got others not previously interested in those concepts to get interested, and thats a really good thing.
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2128682 - 11/22/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"but the matrix was one of the first if not only movies to really showcase some of these ideas"

right, except for all the superior philosophical films that came looooong before the matrix. Like, for example: Rashomon.

I can supply another hundred if you're interested, hit me back.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2128762 - 11/22/03 04:34 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
the matrix is so over-rated that it saddens me. The so-called philosophical content of the film is sooooo basic. Its the intellectual equivilent of Kraft Dinner. 

Are you one of those snobs who refuses to eat Kraft Dinner?  :rolleyes: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: pattern]
    #2128763 - 11/22/03 04:40 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That program in channel 5 the other night was stupid, its just like "yeah we murder people and blame the matrix for it."
Channel 5 always has sensationalist programs with stupid and generally false information.

The matrix was only a first with the fact that it had bullet time.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2128773 - 11/22/03 05:04 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
right, except for all the superior philosophical films that came looooong before the matrix. Like, for example: Rashomon.

Never fucking heard of it.

You're missing the point, man. The Matrix was a blockbuster. It was very well made in every fucking way. When it came out, the effects were stunning. The movie fucking kicked ass!

Obviously, they couldn't focus on the philosophical aspects too much or it would become unaccessible to the general public. The effects and the action and everything is called candy coating.

But ja, I am definitely POSITIVE that The Matrix would have made as much money as it did if it focused primarily on the philosophical aspects and was a black and white movie.  :rolleyes: Who wants to see a black and white movie?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2128820 - 11/22/03 06:40 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I thought that movie was very good. I have not seen the third one yet(heard it sucked, bad), but the first two were very good. I think that they went a little overboard with the action and shit, but I like how the writers addressed the issue of free will and purpose.

Sure, it is mainly for entertainment. But I thought they did a pretty good job dealing with some of the philosophical issues in the movie.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2129137 - 11/22/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ZenGecko said:
It put them out there for the masses, most of which have little or any exposure to those ideas, and never cared to. It got them to actually think for a moment. Ofcourse not all of them. I heard lots of people say, wow that was over my head, but man what a great movie, That which is, and has no choice but to be

While I was watching matrix 3 I was appalled at what they did to it. I was ANGRY (yes) at the fractal in the beggining. I felt like they were saying "come see the matrix, we'll give you a trippy fractal." I thought it was gratuitous and cheep. I did get high before the show, and maybe I should have enjoyed the special effects, but I just couldn't. I got so mad about the production quality by the time Saref (sp?) was checking doors, I walked out. I'm going to have to watch the whole thing sometime, but after I get over how badly the movies degraded.

I have heard ppl talk about the karmic lesson that took place at the trainstation. i dont want to talk about those conversations now.

"I still like candy."

PLEASE

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: sirreal]
    #2129162 - 11/22/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I liked the third one..if nothing else, the time the second drill-machine breaks thru the ceiling and the sentinels just fucking SWARM thru..it was badass.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2129165 - 11/22/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

mmkay mmkay I have question

"But ja, I am definitely"

why do you always say "ja" instead of "ya"?

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2129166 - 11/22/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

jezu... you know telford?

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2129191 - 11/22/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
"But ja, I am definitely"

why do you always say "ja" instead of "ya"?

Because "ja" er the only Norwegian jeg can unload p? du all with du all understanding. :grin: (dont' know too much yet myself)
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Its the Matrix Fault [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2129247 - 11/22/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I never said it wasnt a good movie, I said its philosophical content was rudementry, which it is. Who wants to see a black and white movie?

what you need special effects and tons of silly violence to sugercoat your philosophy? go read some dostoevsky. The modern film-goer has been tainted through years of desensitzation from watching too many stupid action/comedys and music videos. Slow down your mind...relax, and go rent "rashomon".

Offlineiamhimheisme
jesus christ

Loc: where i dont want to be
    #2129299 - 11/22/03 03:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
I never said it wasnt a good movie, I said its philosophical content was rudementry, which it is. Who wants to see a black and white movie?

what you need special effects and tons of silly violence to sugercoat your philosophy? go read some dostoevsky. The modern film-goer has been tainted through years of desensitzation from watching too many stupid action/comedys and music videos. Slow down your mind...relax, and go rent "rashomon".

the Wachowski brothers or whatever the directors' names are would have to be pretty unique if their intentions were to only spread these different philosophical ideas. truth is, who knows what their intentions were when making the movie, what really matters is what you, or anyone else, can get out of it. true, the "modern film goer has been tainted through years of desensitization from watching too many stupid action/comedys and music videos." however, that doesnt mean theres nothing these people can get out of it. at the very least i think this movie shows just about anyone that there are other ideas/beliefs that are just as acceptable as our own. imo, they make that general dude out to be an asshole as a symbol for close minded people. and the explanation of the machines' beliefs or whatever in the train station at mobil ave. conveys the idea that there are many ways of living, or at least many definitions for the same thing (love,karma), but if you really get down to it, each way, or definition, is not very different. i think this concept of being open-minded could be noticed by everyone and would at least get them thinking. however, im sure when the bible was written the writer(s) hadnt accounted for various interpretations and i think the same is true here. there are more than likely many ways people will interpret this so that it makes sense to them, they'll somehow form it to their ideas, it happens all the time, its inevitable (no one escapes this, no matter how open-minded you are you still form interpretations based on your beliefs). due to this, it seems that without being open-minded and understanding that there are other ways of living the movie could be interpreted much differently. it seems apparent to me that this 'misinterpretation' cannot be avoided, theres no way one could account for every possible interpretation because he/she/they only have one, or a few in the case of 'they', set of beliefs/perspectives to look at it from. i dont know what im getting at, maybe that the important thing isnt the movie or what anyone got out of it, but rather spreading your ideas instead of trying to convey them in something open to interpretation like entertainment. people may still interpret the things you say in favor of their ideas, but after some discussion/clarification perhaps your words will have more effect. entertainment is just an inefficient method of spreading ideas as it is too open to interpretation and, imo, should only be taken as entertainment.

Edited by iamhimheisme (11/22/03 03:22 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom