Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek?
    #21239949 - 02/07/15 03:11 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I'm looking to make some lids with Tyvek for gas exchange, so I went to the post office and got a priority mail envelope, but I don't think that they're made of tyvek anymore. Or maybe it's tyvek and plastic? If I recall correctly, the old USPS envelopes were multi-layered, and the tyvek was the center layer. Now it's just one layer, and it's a hard, tough, plastic-y, crinkly material. If I put it to my mouth and suck really hard, just bit of air moves through it, but it doesn't seem like much. Anyone know if this is tyvek, or if I need to go buy myself a jumpsuit at home depot?
Thanks

--------------------
"Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. 'Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy.' What a dick! Fuck him, he’s an idiot. [...] How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. 'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather.' —Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: agoraphone]
    #21239986 - 02/07/15 03:20 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Read the edge at the bottom. It'll sat dupont tyvec real lightly.

--------------------

:takingnotes:  AMU Q&A  :takingnotes:

If you don't have a plan of your own, you'll become a part of somebody else's.

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: Grey]
    #21239989 - 02/07/15 03:22 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

The painters tyvec suits are supposed to last better tho.

--------------------

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21242425 - 02/08/15 07:16 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks- I see the Tyvek brand on it now. Guess I thought Tyvek was more breathable - these envelopes almost seem to have a plastic coating on them. Can anyone vouch for today's USPS envelopes working properly for gas exchange?

--------------------
"Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. 'Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy.' What a dick! Fuck him, he’s an idiot. [...] How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. 'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather.' —Bill Hicks

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21242759 - 02/08/15 09:14 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Last I heard someone taking about them, the pores close up or open up more when pc'd. Something like that. Others said they've had no problems with them, especially the painters tyvek suits (they're supposed to be better). I use sfd's, so maybe someone else can offer a better opinion.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #21242798 - 02/08/15 09:24 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

envelope tyvek is the worst quality of tyvek you can get but it should hold up a few times. the envelopes are tyvek if they say tyvek :shrug: they're called tyvek mailers ffs

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21242801 - 02/08/15 09:24 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

agoraphone said:
Thanks- I see the Tyvek brand on it now. Guess I thought Tyvek was more breathable - these envelopes almost seem to have a plastic coating on them. Can anyone vouch for today's USPS envelopes working properly for gas exchange?

tyvek IS plastic.

InvisiblePrince Corum
of the Scarlet Robe

Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? *DELETED* [Re: agoraphone]
    #21242802 - 02/08/15 09:24 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Prince Corum

Reason for deletion: Not related to chemistry.

--------------------
Like dissolves like.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: Prince Corum]
    #21242805 - 02/08/15 09:25 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Prince Corum said:
The proper envelopes to use are ordered directly from the USPS website; you can order them in quantities of ten, and they're shipped to you for free. Just search for 'tyvek envelope' on the USPS search engine.

or you can grab them at any post office right off the shelf

InvisiblePrince Corum
of the Scarlet Robe

Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21242820 - 02/08/15 09:27 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Prince Corum said:
The proper envelopes to use are ordered directly from the USPS website; you can order them in quantities of ten, and they're shipped to you for free. Just search for 'tyvek envelope' on the USPS search engine.

or you can grab them at any post office right off the shelf

Who knew? I thought they only had priority packaging, and brown boxes. Even easier!

--------------------
Like dissolves like.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: Prince Corum]
    #21242842 - 02/08/15 09:33 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

even the post office in the hood has them

Offlineblack lotus
DasNewb

#21242889 - 02/08/15 09:42 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
even the post office in the hood has them

I can vouch for this lol.

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21243192 - 02/08/15 10:59 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
tyvek IS plastic.

Right, but I don't think painter suits made from tyvek are as hard and crinkly as USPS envelopes. And in the photos I've seen of lid teks, the tyvek looks soft like fabric, not hard like plastic. The envelopes just don't seem very porous so I'm going to look into a painter's suit.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21243240 - 02/08/15 11:18 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

they're micropore film they're not going to seem pourous. they're keeping out contamination you can't see unless you have a microscope at a power of around 100-400x it should seem like a solid film that's what keeps your grow from contamination.

tyvek was made to be water resistant but still vapour breathable. water vapour can pass through it but water droplets cannot. because of these properties (5micron pore size) it also makes it work OK as a filter material for hobby mycologists.

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21243367 - 02/08/15 11:49 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info - I'm just worried that the envelopes are not as breathable as painter's suits, and my grow will stall from insufficient GE.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21243405 - 02/08/15 11:54 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

they won't we use synthetic filter disks as the best thing for gas exchange and those are even less breatheable yet they're the gold standard.

Offlinesaintburger
Helper

#21243439 - 02/08/15 12:01 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Trust me, it won't stall. I've heard that kind of tyvek is shit too so I do polyfill and tyvek at the same time (still need to get some SFDs and SHIPs) You're worrying too much. It will work.

--------------------
Set goals for yourself, or wander around aimlessly.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road
and saw a Cheshsire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'"

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are today's USPS envelopes Tyvek? [Re: saintburger]
    #21243503 - 02/08/15 12:13 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Alrighty I'll take your words for it. Thanks all! Appreciate it. :thanx:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order