Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDan_k
Stranger
fruiting and trichoderma problems
    #2121196 - 11/18/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

a FOAF has been using the brf tek using liquid mycelium and hasn't had a contaminated jar in a while. however, when it comes to casing that is a different story. he is using the 50/50+ tek with crushed oyster shells and lime and been sterilizing it in the microwave. lysol, antibacterial soap, and latex gloves are used at all times. after the cakes are mixed with the casing he puts them in the incubator at 86 degrees and leaves them there with no light for 3 days. the casing is pretty well colonized so then he covers the casing with spring water soaked vermiculite and cold shocks them at 65 degrees before moving them to a fruiting chamber at 79 degrees and a 12/12 light cycle. he's tried misting daily, not misting at all, and fans 3-4 times a day. he isn't sure about the humidity levels but the last time he tried and didn't mist at all the walls always remained wet. the problem is that the casing won't pin and eventually gets hit by the trich where it dies. do all casings eventually get some type of contam? the casing looks great the first week it is in the fruiting chamber but by week two the green mold attacks. he's about to try the temp cylcling tek but as to date has had no more than 15 shrooms total actually fruit in 4 casings. 3 of which didn't produce anything. please help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: Dan_k]
    #2121227 - 11/18/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well, if done properly and incubated/fruited in clean places, casings shouldn't contaminate this fast.

for some reason, i didn't have much success with the microwave sterilization of casing material.  Since then, I use the PC for this and i'm always succesfull.

Make sure your terrarium is clean not necessarely sterile, just clean. 

Another thing, when I wasn't using an automated terrarium and was fanning manually, I was always lysol spraying around the terrarium, wait a couple minutes and fan.  I was concerned about fanning with some nasty air. 

Last thing, you way want to sterilize the water in your spray bottle before misting in your terrarium.  Simply boil the water for 10 minutes, put in the bottle and let cool.

The whole idea about contam prevention is always having in mind that contams are everywhere and will have a pleasure destroying your work.  Just be aware of this at any steps of the culture and improve your methods if needed. 

If I remember well, my first 3 casings looked more like a mold culture than a mycology project :laugh: .  I improved a couple of things and now I never lose a casing . 

One problem remains for me : contams always show before 3rd flush! I don't really care tho ...

good luck!

.fs.

OfflineDan_k
Stranger
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2121268 - 11/18/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thanks. i had a feeling it had something to do with the nuking. his pc only holds four 1/2 pint jars so it isn't really big enough to do a whole casing, would it be just as effective to do in the oven? and secondly, if a casing does get contaminated should he abandon ship or keep it going to see if anything pins? he definately doesn't want to contam other casings so he's already isolated it from the fruiting chamber.

Offlineetard
etheonogenesis

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: Dan_k]
    #2121294 - 11/18/03 10:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

My foaf lost lots of attempts, even on cakes to contams. After a couple of attempts and a lot of sadness, he finally got something out of it. Keep on!

--------------------
.oOo. Selling your babies for my bandwidth since 1994 .oOo.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: etard]
    #2122453 - 11/19/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I use quart jars to sterilize my casing material. I prepare the mix with the good amount of water, put the lid on and seal it very tight.

I then PC at 15 PSI, which gives 250F for one hour. I guess if you put sealed quart jars in the over at 250F, it would do the same thing.

About contaminated casings, you have two options. Try to fight the contam or dump it right now. You shouldn't leave it like that and see what happens, cause contams will win too easily. I don't really believe in contam fighting using peroxide, bleach and stuff like that. Most of the time it just doesn't work. If you wanna save a contaminated casing, I think the only solution is to amputate the contaminated part.

.fs.

Offlinejba6511
addict
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2123151 - 11/19/03 03:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

try to locate the source of ur contams problems. My guess is ur cold shocking in the fridge which isnt the cleanest of places. By the way my FOAF doesnt coldshock any of his casings and has been using verm straight out of the bag with no problems. Perhaps you need to try and keep it simpler

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: fruiting and trichoderma problems [Re: jba6511]
    #2124149 - 11/19/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i agree,casings dont need cold shocking,i'm starting to think that cakes dont either.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale