Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
How to Purchase Securely 101 * 6
    #1793552 - 08/08/03 07:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

*** How to Purchase Securely 101 ***

I've written this security tek to help those who may be new to the cultivation scene, and to help refresh those who have been around long enough to be comfortable with their hobby.

I want to grow, how should I start?

Well, unlike other hobbies, the goal that you wish to achieve is to grow! Sadly, what you're planning on growing is considered illegal in most parts of the world. With that in mind, please pay attention to what you do and say both on AND offline.

Anyone who has been successful in safely growing will remember one phrase?

"Tell one person, and consider it ten"

Keeping ones mouth shut is the absolute best defense you can have when it comes to protecting your hobby. Don't tell friends, family, and don't tell your "online friends" that you grow. Treat the internet as you would a city street. Watch what you say and who you say it to. I will go into this more when you begin talking to people about growing But for now, let?s start with the basics.

I've found the Shroomery; I've read some teks, now I want to grow. How do I get spores and supplies?

This question is what most people new to this hobby ask. Who should I buy from? Which vendor is best? Should I worry about buying from company XYZ? These are questions that can easily be answered. When buying spores or supplies, I suggest dealing strictly with Shroomery Sponsors. Shroomery Sponsors are those vendors who have been given the privilege to advertise their companies here at the Shroomery.

These vendors are all very well known, respected and have been in business for some time. They are easy to get a hold of (via email or PM). And none of them keep any kind of customer lists. The Shroomery vendors are here because they have proven highly competent within this community.

If you need to buy spores or supplies, please look at the following link for a complete list of Shroomery Sponsors - http://www.shroomery.org/vendors.php

I've found a vendor I want to buy from. How should I purchase my spores?

Ok, you've looked through the many websites, you've compared prices. Now its time to place that order. But wait... If I place an order I don't want some strange package showing up at my house? I don't trust any vendor, if they keep a customer list or not, I just don't trust anyone!

That?s good. You're thinking Now go back to the first question and its answer, " Treat the internet as you would a city street."

If you meet your local drug dealer on the street, you don't give him a credit card!?!? And I don't think you'd give him a personal check. So what?s left?

Cash. Cash is King. And money orders are fine too Cash definitely doesn't leave any kind of paper trail and money orders can't be linked back to you if you make them payable to "CASH". For all you know, I could have stolen your money order and cashed it. Can you see where money orders can be useful? You can also find out if a money order has been cashed by calling the 1-800# on the back of your receipt.

Alright, you've figured out how to pay, know where to send it?? You don't want mom, dad, husband, wife, or your landlord wondering why you're getting packages. Even better, you don't want anyone to know your real address! This is where I suggest looking into a Mail Forwarding Service.

Mail forwarding services simply get your mail and send it to your real address. You'll have your letters or packages sent to the forwarding companies address, they then send it to you or your PO Box.

You live at 123 Right Street. Your mail forwarding service gives you their address, 456 Left Ave, Suite #789. You have people or the vendors send your items to 456 Left Ave, Suite #789, when they get your package they put on another label, and send it to your actual shipping address.

Your actual address can be a house, a PO Box, or another forwarding address. The point is whoever is sending you anything won't know really where they're sending it too. Below I've listed some links to a few mail forwarding services. Look them over and compare prices and features. Mail forwarding services work well becuase most of the time you can find a service outside of your state.

Mail Forwarding Services:

http://www.myus.com/
http://www.finishlinepack.com/
http://www.whatsinteresting.com/indexremailing.htm
http://vmfs.com/

REMEMBER, mail forwarding ONLY works best when you're dealing with cash/money orders.

NOT with credit cards!

Due to the large amounts of credit card fraud on the internet, those buying from a vendor who pay with a credit card and gives a different bill to and ship to address are usually questioned and looked at as a potential problem. Credit card fraud usually consists of someone stealing credit card information, buying something and having it shipped to a different address than the billing address.

Don't make yourself stick out. If you really need to pay with a credit card, Contact your creditor (your Credit Card Company or bank) and ask to have what?s called an Alternate Address associated with your credit card. Many people who travel or move often may have one or two associated addresses. It?s very simple to do and it doesn't take much time. Simply give them your mail forwarding address. Now you can use your mail forwarding address as both your bill to and ship to.

Great, I know how to pay and I know where to send, but all vendors/people will usually want to get a hold of me. Or I will want to get a hold of them. How can I be contacted without being found?

Very good question! How can I be contacted without being found? There have been entire books written about this subject. And for purposes of simplicity, I will stick with only internet based communication.

Email. We've all done it and it?s a very common, easily accessible medium to communicate in. You need to email a vendor, another grower, anyone who you might be dealing with when it comes to your new hobby.

So you need a secure email address or an encrypted email address. There are many free email services available like hotmail.com, yahoo.com, etc. But you should consider an email service which offers encryption. Why? Because if someone accesses your email account, like a nosy hotmail.com employee or even a DEA agent with a subpoena to access your email providers? accounts, it?s encrypted! They won't be able to read it! All of your emails will look like this:

2l6GDylrek6iGuFkucx/BfkhItaxZGxf7+Gmc4n4h3RykxUvu
xrAGMz+WsrRpqxBeRjnA/9tuO+Cx5QzBtl+dPhe8nJ4wpEGxD
kQ4vUhaMYzG82aKOCmWvIBYURWN8NlSp5Ypfb5PDEAU0CPwXx
+0uxozQBm1JrSgRhUirOthggnrjpwxpFkM0O6Igm1OXUI8SOq
muCUdcYgsPF1et6d4IrjHTF4iK9STR7qQkdeMjurO8CcqLQjQ
3VzdCBTZXJ2IDxjdXN0c2VydkBzcG9yZXdvcmtzLmNvbT6JAF
gEEBECABgFAj546EMICwkIBwMCAQoCGQEFGwMAAAAACgkQBJC
/WTYaQiueSQCcCxYC6hM1Gva7BH+4LfVietFvcngA

That scrambled up paragraph above filled with unreadable numbers and letters is an encrypted message that says, "They won't be able to read it! All of your emails will look like this:"

Big deal, I've seen in the movies where hackers can break a code with some kind of program. Why should encryption be any different?

In the movies they have to break the code But the mathematical algorithms used in today?s encryption techniques are VERY strong. For example, there is a very popular and easy program to use called PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) and it uses a ?code? called IDEA. Read below on its strength.

"How hard is it to crack the IDEA key?
PGP uses IDEA as the conventional cipher. The key for IDEA is 128 bits. We can calculate the brute force key space with 2^128 = 3.4E38. A special hardware based key cracker for IDEA that can try one billion (1E9) keys per second will take 1.08E22 (approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years to go through all possible keys. You can expect to get most keys in about half that time which will take 5.39E21 years. It is estimated that the sun will go nova in 1E9 years. Since the algorithm is secure, the cryptanalyst has to go after other things like RSA or your passphrase. It is currently beyond our technology to crack an IDEA key by brute force."

So encryption is strong. But it?s only as strong as its weakest link.

If you sign up for one of the free encrypted mail services I've listed below. REMEMBER, they only work fully on their own network. This means that if your email address is John@hushmail.com and you email someone outside of hushmail, for example Doe@yahoo.com your message will not be encrypted. The reason being is because yahoo doesn't have an encrypted connection with hushmail. If you email a vendor, their email may not be encrypted.

Encrypted email services are free, just as easy to use as non-encrypted, and provide a little more security than most. Here is a list of a few poplar free encrypted email services.

Free Encrypted Email:

https://www.hushmail.com/
http://www.ziplip.com/
http://www.perfectlyprivate.com/

I know how to pay, I know how to have my items sent, and I even know how to get in touch with a vendor. What else is there?

Much more ? But getting your spores and equipment is half the fun.

REMEMBER! Unless you live in the states of Georgia or California, spores are perfectly legal. Also, all mushroom growing equipment is legal. Everything from brown rice flour and vermiculite to extraction and preservation tools. So don?t get too uptight if someone asks why you?ve ordered a bag of perlite

If you know your tools and supplies, you?ll easily be able to adapt a reason for having each one. With that thought? Lets go into the section of adaptations.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Adaptations:

1. I don?t have much money to spend right now. Is there any other way I can get my items without having to pay for a mail forwarding service?

Yes. You can simply just get a PO Box and have your items sent there instead of your home. You can and should get a Post Office Box at your local Post Office. A PO Box is the first thing you should get when you?re ordering spores/supplies. Don?t have items shipped to the place where you?re growing! PO Boxes are cheap, in most cities they are around $45.00 for 6 months, cheaper in other areas. If you can?t spend the money for a PO Box, then save up!

2. I don?t want anyone to know about my hobby. But I don?t think I can get a PO Box. I can afford it, but don?t you need some kind of identification? Isn?t there an age requirement?

Yes you will need two forms of identification. And as of this writing the following forms of ID are acceptable in obtaining a PO Box:

?a. At the time of application, applicants must present two items of valid identification; one item must contain a photograph of the applicant. Social Security cards or credit cards and birth certificates are unacceptable as identification. The following are acceptable identification:

(1) Valid driver?s license or state non-driver?s identification card.
(2) Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate identification card.
(3) Passport, alien registration card, or certificate of naturalization.
(4) Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust.
(5) Voter or vehicle registration card.
(6) Home or vehicle insurance policy.

b. The identification presented must be current. It must contain sufficient information to confirm that the applicant is who he or she claims to be and must be traceable to the bearer.?

If you drive, you should have an insurance card for your vehichle. If you?re under someone elses car insurance you can and should have your own card made up. A passport is easily available and its very easy to get a non-drivers ID made. The cost is minimal but will work.

Also, contrary to popular belief, anyone of any age can get a PO Box. You don?t need to be 18 years of age. Children with divorced parents, high school students waiting for college transcripts, or young adults having problems getting their mail (lost or stolen) can get a PO box. The thing is, if you're under 18 it may be hard to get two forms of ID? Look at the statement below:

"Post office box service may be provided to a minor (a person under 18 years of age) unless the minor?s parent or guardian submits a written objection to the appropriate postmaster."

So unless a parent or gaurdian submits a written objection to the postmaster, you will be able to get a PO box. If the postmaster comes and speaks with you and tries to deny you, simply print up The Domestic Mail Manual Section D910 as seen here - http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/D910.htm#Xbr4476 and tell him that you?ll only need it for 6 months until your grades or drivers license comes! If you want it for longer, all you need to do is renew your box by paying for it, you won?t need to show any ID if you?re renewing your PO box.

3. I?m really broke and I can?t afford any spores/supplies, what should I do?

The best advice for this is to check out the Marketplace Forum - http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Marketplace

You can trade, enter contests, look for free things, and search for deals from time to time from Shroomery vendors. Although unlike buying from a vendor who has a company, a name to uphold, and a level of credibility to maintain, if you trade with someone treat it as?. Well, I shouldn?t have to say but,

Treat the internet as you would a city street.

If you?ve openly traded video games and computer parts on a sidewalk in your neighborhood, not much to worry about. But if you?re trading spores/seeds or anything that?s ?questionable?. Try to find out if who you?re trading with has a good track record. There are many people who have excellent feedback ratings when it comes to trading, some who don?t. Stick with references and do some homework. Look at your potential traders past threads/posts. Spending 15-20 minutes looking at someone?s posts can really give you an idea on how well they hold up to their end of the bargin.

4. When I get online, how do I know if I?m being tracked or being safe enough?

?this will be covered and a tek all by itself

I hope that some of you find this useful. If so please say so. I'd like to hear your idea and comments.

Good Luck!

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Lana]
    #1794289 - 08/08/03 11:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

> I hope that some of you find this useful. If so please say so.

Oh hell yes.  This is a must read for every member that comes on this site.  In fact, I'm going to push for it to be included in the new member's splash screens.

Thank you for your work and dedication to keeping our community as safe as possible in this mixed up world we live in.  :heart:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1794814 - 08/09/03 07:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: Looks great, thank you  :heartpump:.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #1794898 - 08/09/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:heart: :thumbup: :smile:

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1794918 - 08/09/03 09:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A very good read  :cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Paid]
    #1796603 - 08/09/03 08:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

awesome info.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #1797591 - 08/10/03 07:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I can only say, i wish this had been around longer. This is some must read information for every beginner out there. Good info about getting a PO box for minors too, the downside ofcourse is, that minors can't own/rent an appartment, so they would be growing in their parents houses. If the parents knew about it, there would be no problem getting a PO box. (cause the parents could do it) And thats one thing we don't really need here at the shroomery, 15 year old kids growing drugs, trying to hide it from their parents.

as they say in Holland, "voorkomen is beter dan genezen" (which literally means preventing is better then healing) Its better to be safe in the first place, then making a big mistake, and secure your grow afterwards.

Eagerly waiting for the Internet security tek,

Erik006

PS: for good internet security for home networks, buy a (good)router,
most routers have the option to switch IP every hour, day, week.

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Erik006]
    #1797826 - 08/10/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is a great forum, long over do really. I was very happy to see this appear - Great Work Guys!!!!

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1799773 - 08/10/03 09:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Great forum and post!

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: baraka]
    #1803425 - 08/11/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good looking out lana. :smile:

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: tak]
    #1808883 - 08/13/03 10:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Alien]
    #1817378 - 08/15/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Great info Lana !

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Invisibleblackroselobo
Stranger

Loc: Sioux Falls SD
    #1857257 - 08/27/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Wow thanks so much. That answerd almost every question I had. :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Rock on! .

OfflineJackolantern
Will'o'Wisp

Loc: The Great White Hype
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Anonymous]
    #1960480 - 09/28/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Damn... looks like I fucked up... oh well, it's never too lte to start being safe...

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Jackolantern]
    #2072366 - 11/05/03 04:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Also i dont buy every thing i need at once even if its in the same store, down side though is makeing several trips but less supicious.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
Re: How to Purchase Securely 101 [Re: Protester]
    #2120634 - 11/18/03 05:28 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I go get a PO box today at the UPS store and
they need to see ID's. Since I don't have a fake set
don't see the point of using a box, my real info is on
the paperwork. I got it anyhow and will cancel after
3 months. I'm going to see if they give all the paperwork
back when I close the box. Any good sites on the net
for fake ID's?

--------------------

Anonymous #1

#2204901 - 12/27/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Good info  :smile2:

Just to elaborate. It realing is true that telling people you know that you are growing somthing illegal like shrooms or pot is a real bad idea. Most people find this facinating and will tell everyone they come in contact with, including strangers at a party. The more people that know the more likely you could be arrested some day. Someone could turn you over to the police in hopes of getting a lesser charge.

InvisibleMephestopheles
Uber-Shroomer

Loc: Canada
    #2477854 - 03/27/04 11:49 AM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Anyone know if there are reliable mail forwarding services in Canada?

Offlineephesus
10 31 02
    #2901708 - 07/18/04 04:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

fuckity,,, i think made way too many mistakes. i think ill probably postpone this hobby for now, but lifes long and there will always be other opportunities...

Edited by ephesus (07/18/04 04:10 AM)

OfflineBowlKiller
----
    #3132959 - 09/14/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

very nice

--------------------
----

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale