Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBruiser
Fuel Injected Suicide Machine

Loc: Hell
Average Joe
    #2119997 - 11/18/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Any of you watched this show yet? About an ex-cheerleader who is on a reality show and supposed to meet the man of her dreams, only she doesn't know that the men picked for her are all average type guys. There were a bunch of overly obese guys, and a bunch of retards. I think even I would have a chance with this girl. The funny part is, that last night after they eliminated a bunch of guys, they brought in some ringers. (models) She totally forgot about the regular guys that were trying to win her love. I almost felt bad for them. :tongue: 

--------------------
-I put the chrome to your dome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Average Joe [Re: Bruiser]
    #2120006 - 11/18/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I can honestly say that I have not seen an episode of that...

and for that I am thankful... 

bf6
:lipsrsealed:

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2120024 - 11/18/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'd pick you  :wink: 

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2120026 - 11/18/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Damn TV.

Only thing it's good for is the Simpsons, Daily Show, and maybe a few other exceptions.

--------------------

OfflineBruiser

Re: Average Joe [Re: Shroomism]
    #2120038 - 11/18/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I thought that also. I didn't want to watch the show from the beginning, but I got sucked in at how superficial people can be.

I'd pick me too. :wink:

Also, Shroomism, if you'd like to continue our discussion on this, I'd suggest we take it to PM's. I'm not allowed to post one-on-ones with people in threads. That's what chat and pm's are for. :smirk: :wink: 

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2120042 - 11/18/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm with ya on that one.  Television has disappointed me with its emphasis on violence, sex, and anything that may be considered shock-value.  I assume they do this for the younger viewers who enjoy these things and are also being targeted for marketing by companies who sell products which cater to such people. 

There are still shining beakons of media out there though.  While personally, I think shows like Average Joe suck ass... I can understand why they are popular.  But I really don't care anymore, because I use a TV only for some live televised events and a small amount of programming largely consisting of The Simpsons and other shows that attempt to chime in with witty social commentary (unfortunately, The Simpsons have been doing less and less of this as each season goes on).

But yea, Average Joe sux :tongue:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineBruiser

Re: Average Joe [Re: geokills]
    #2120049 - 11/18/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think the whole show is pretty sad. These guys are fighting with each other, to win the heart of a girl they know would never give them the time of day if it weren't for the show. I actually feel ashamed for everyone on the show, but I can't seem to tear myself away from it :wink: 

--------------------

OfflineBigNerd
Sociable loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: local elementary school
    #2120064 - 11/18/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I heard they've got a new "reality show" coming out where they put a bunch of people in one house. The catch is, all but one of the people is an actor playing a part. As much as "reality tv" in all its incarnations disgusts me on an intellectual level, I'm almost tempted to watch this one, because it seems to be mocking the very concept of the reality television fad.

--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2120065 - 11/18/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I hardly ever watch TV anymore.. but I do spend a good portion of my time in front of the computer.. long live the internet.
You control what you want to see, you can communicate with others, instead of just being a one-way transmission. You aren't subject to millions of subliminal messages (video and audio) every 2 seconds. The list goes on and on.  TV dulls your senses in general. If you ask me it's just another form of mind control.

These reality shows can go to hell. There's not one thing real about them, not even the people in them. You want a reality show? Follow me and bruiser around for a week  :smirk:

The discovery channel is about the only one with any merit. Ah.. the mating rituals of the underwater aqautic creatures and the lives of the little fuzzy woodland creatures.. 

--------------------

OfflineBruiser

Re: Average Joe [Re: BigNerd]
    #2120070 - 11/18/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The Joe Schmoe Show! :grin: I saw a couple episodes from it. Poor guy actually cried a couple times. They told him in the last episdoe that the whole thing was a joke. If I were him, I prolly would've went nutty and tried to kill everyone. :wink: 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Average Joe [Re: BigNerd]
    #2120071 - 11/18/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BigNerd said:
I heard they've got a new "reality show" coming out where they put a bunch of people in one house. The catch is, all but one of the people is an actor playing a part. As much as "reality tv" in all its incarnations disgusts me on an intellectual level, I'm almost tempted to watch this one, because it seems to be mocking the very concept of the reality television fad.

Do you live a strange country or something? That already happened.. it was called Joe Schmo, and they made that guy look like an idiot. The season ended already and he found out it was a big scam, he was pissed.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #2120077 - 11/18/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

For real, the point of TV, for me, is to escape reality. I don't watch more than PBS (egg is awesome) and cartoons. I have never subscribed for television (ie cable, sat). I don't understand why you can't subscribe on a per channel basis. I'd subscribe to History channel, discovery, cartoon network, comedy channel, maybe a movie channel like Cinemax (i dunno tho).

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Average Joe [Re: geokills]
    #2120091 - 11/18/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Witty social commentary was basically what we have been doing at the PUB this morning, We have all been very well behaved so why cant we continue with "Witty social commentary"...The problem with OTD was mainly with all the PAB`s that were constantly just spewing stuff for shock value...At least we are funny and insitefull some of the time :confused:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineBruiser

Re: Average Joe [Re: debianlinux]
    #2120097 - 11/18/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The cable company wouldn't make any money that way. :smirk: I'd be all for a "per channel" basis. That's why I don't buy cable now. I only watched a couple channels before the cable company switched to all digital. I refuse to pay $60 a month for a hundred and fifty channels of crap. I get about 10 channels by just keeping the cable hooked up to my tv. That's all I need. 

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2120107 - 11/18/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm. The cable company sees 0 of my $ now. Should they goto a per channel basis they would see >0 of my $. I'm not so sure that they wouldn't make money with this method.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2120122 - 11/18/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This reminds me. I'm of the opinion that TV shopuld be FREE. The cable companies et al are already being compnesated by advertisers. They are already making money. Of course, by the same token, maybe this is precisely why you can't subscribe per channel. Advertisers would obviously only want to be on the most popular channels and I'm sure the economics get real fucked up when that happens.

OfflineBruiser

#2120123 - 11/18/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

True. anything>$0 I guess when you're a huge conglomerate, little guys like us don't matter much........

Wow, sounds eerily familiar. :wink: 

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2120224 - 11/18/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well, there used to be a certain amount of artisanship in TV. I mean, it was creative writing and theater that made TV great. It used to be a kind of public forum for expression. A sign of the cultural times. Now its just advertising and the shows are all based on the cheapest possible way to shock dumb people.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder