Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar?
    #2119915 - 11/18/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have very slow growing mycellium on agar. Its probably growing so slowly because instead of spreading the spores on the agar, I just put them all in one spot. I was wondering if I should find the healthiest mycelilum and use it to start some more dishes. How does one determine which mycellium looks healthier?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: Rohypnol]
    #2119926 - 11/18/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

spread the spores properly, I am certain the FAQ has a picture of how to drag the innoc loop

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: blink]
    #2119935 - 11/18/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You want fast-growing ropey-looking growth. If you're doing petries you should do more than one, and spread the spores across the dish with a loop or sterilized paperclip w/ small loop at the end.

You want multiple germination sites so you get different colonies so you can select for the best ones.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: micro]
    #2119956 - 11/18/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Should I transfer this mycellium to a few new petri dishes and do it so that I make sure there are multiple germination sites, or should I start from spores again? If I do mycellium, then I can use peroxidated agar, and I don't have a glovebox accessable right now. Is it easy to make multiple germination sites with mycellium?

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: Rohypnol]
    #2120015 - 11/18/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'd start from spores again and do more than one dish, this time. If you want to clone mycelium, that's fine, too.

I thought you were trying to select substrains.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: micro]
    #2120346 - 11/18/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

how quickly will the cloned tissue cover the entire agar dish. Recently started agar and too gills in one dish and inner stem in the other. It's been about three days and they have made it through the recovery period (h202 was used) and the mycelium seems to be growing out of the gills that were scattered all over the dish but the stem tissue is not doing much. What is average time, and is it better to take a certain part of the fruitbody or is sterility of the tissue all that matters?

If this isn't advanced enough, my apologies and could this be moved?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Edited by thisone (11/18/03 03:47 PM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: thisone]
    #2124244 - 11/20/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I had best results in cloning cubensis when I took the tissue from the stem. It's normal that it takes few days before you notice growth and as soon as you do, transfer the healthy looking mycellium to new dishes. First petri very likely contains contaminants and it takes 2 or 3 transfers before you can assume that you have a clean culture.
Cubensis is pretty fast, a petri is usually fully colonized in 7-10 days.

Offlinefungulus
Re: Seperating vigerous mycellium on agar? [Re: zeronio]
    #2128759 - 11/22/03 04:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Start new ones and then sector the one you have now. Take the best and most vigorous sections and start them in new dishes. This is how you isolate desired fruiting characteristics from multiple (billions) of spores. This is the reason for the transfer. Fruit them out and keep samples of the culture in the fridge. The best fruits win and that culture is used again. Isn't it scientific, dont you think?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract