Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Current Reality
    #2109642 - 11/15/03 05:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Current Reality" is an easy concept to grasp, but a hard one to put into practice.

Some examples of NOT living in current reality (not great examples, but will do for now):

False image: A woman in middle age and heavyset, who still wears halter tops and mini-skirts. (She does not see what the mirror reflects, but herself as a young, sexy woman.)

The male couch potato who used to play high school football and gets severly injured on a weekend pickup game after having been inactive for 10 years. (Thinks he is still a jock.)

Regrets the road not taken: "I should have married Janie instead of Ashley."

Blindness: "I am OK to drive." (After four martinis.)

ALL OF US (the Swam included) are guilty of shoulds and what-ifs. The danger of not living in current reality is that it is impossible to make clear, logical decisions if you pretend that things are other than what they are.

Read through some of the posts on this forum and you will see many, many examples of people stating how "things should be". One can only make corrections and adjustments from where ONE IS NOW, not where one would like to be.

This constant awareness is as much a spiritual practice as zazen or martial arts.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Current Reality [Re: Swami]
    #2109660 - 11/15/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

False image: A woman in middle age and heavyset, who still wears halter tops and mini-skirts. (She does not see what the mirror reflects, but herself as a young, sexy woman.)

I see this type on ricki lake all the time. :lol: (Not that I watch that show, of course)

Some consider this healthy self esteem. Your next example shows how this can get us in trouble.vvv

Quote:

The male couch potato who used to play high school football and gets severly injured on a weekend pickup game after having been inactive for 10 years. (Thinks he is still a jock.)

Quote:

Regrets the road not taken: "I should have married Janie instead of Ashley."

Guilty of this one.

Quote:

Blindness: "I am OK to drive." (After four martinis.)

This one as well.

Quote:

The danger of not living in current reality is that it is impossible to make clear, logical decisions if you pretend that things are other than what they are.

Do you think that all dilusions are harmful? Can they ever be beneficial?

Quote:

Read through some of the posts on this forum and you will ses many, many examples of people stating how "things should be". One can only make corrections and adjustments from where ONE IS NOW, not where one would like to be.

Idealism?

Are you suggesting that we should never be idealistic?

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (11/15/03 05:42 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2109679 - 11/15/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Here and Now", Have you ever read Aldous Huxely's Island. It centers on that idea, as its main point im my opinion. Its very important I will agree with you... usually im so entranced by what is going on around me i dont think about anything else. Its only when i sit down and begin to think about things that i start to think "what if this, what if that". Truthfully when i really appreciate the here and now i feel the best...

What interest's me is why do i start thinking about all these things? I dont lie to myself, i am always what i am, although i cant really see that i am anything, i always try to see things differently. I cant ever grasp a sense of a solid state... nothing i could really refer back to. It seems as though im always changing. 

My friend yesterday said to me... " dont you wish you were 16 again, when you didnt have to worry about anything or do anything really important"

I replied: No. There is nothing that made me wish that i would go back and re live what ive already been through, im obviously here for a reason, I cant lie to myself and think that things could have been different, things are what they are, and thats that casual acceptance of the change and uncertainty ive come to accept. and as of late, ive come to embrace. When i can be aware, and im not stuck in my subconcious, i feel like i can take things in a logical way, but if i start to feel bad, that whole staying aware thing kind of goes to shit. I dont know if that has to do with what you are saying, but i think its the best interpretation i can come up with.

:thumbup:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Current Reality [Re: sirreal]
    #2109687 - 11/15/03 05:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Are you suggesting that we should never be idealistic?

Editor's note: I like the way the poster asked for clarification rather than making an assumption about my view. Many posters would do well to follow this example.

Not at all. Idealism is fine if you recognize the ideal state as a goal (and not a whine about "the way things should be"). From there one can check their current reality and come up with a plan to take steps towards the idealized state.

--------------------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #2109712 - 11/15/03 05:58 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Idealism is fine if you recognize the ideal state as a goal (and not a whine about "the way things should be"). From there one can  check their current reality and come up with a plan to take steps towards the idealized state.

I figured that is what you would say. Just wanted to clarify. :thumbup: 

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2117334 - 11/17/03 04:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"One can only make corrections and adjustments from where ONE IS NOW, not where one would like to be."

Yes! Living in "THE NOW" is the way to go!

I recently started realizing that "RIGHT NOW" is often the best time to follow through with a hot idea

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

Re: Current Reality [Re: Strumpling]
    #2117527 - 11/17/03 05:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

'Should' is a word that shouldnt be in my dictionary.

--------------------
my signature is too long

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2118186 - 11/17/03 08:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I wonder what causes us to act this way? is it sometimes fear of being honest with oneself? or is it blindness altogether? I think in order for us to put this into practice, we need to be honest with ourselves and look at when we are living the lie.

actually a journal for that wouldn't be too bad either. this way we can look back and see what we did because most of the time there are consequences for our actions, especially when we aren't honest with ourselves and others.

I made a post about the neutral flow, which in I admitted to the fact that I had posted before about how "grat life was" when in actuality, it was only great because I made that judgement. it really isn't what IS.

would you consider making judgements based on comparisons living in a false reality?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Current Reality [Re: kaiowas]
    #2118438 - 11/17/03 09:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

This is only semi-relevant, but its a great quote so here you go :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Current Reality [Re: Noviseer]
    #2118806 - 11/18/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Cool quote, and one by which I live my life. Actually, I heard it phrased differently by someone else previous to hearing Twain's rendition:

When you are 90, will you think back with regret on your failure to ask that person to dance?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2118822 - 11/18/03 12:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So is this your way of saying
"Live in the present" otherwise commonly reffered to as:
"Be here now"?

If so, I couldn't agree more. Probably the best advice one can give oneself or another person.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Current Reality [Re: Shroomism]
    #2118909 - 11/18/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Not exactly. "Being here now" is more the Zen of not having your thoughts running in the past or future.

"Current reality" is an acceptance of the way things are instead of the way you want them to be. It is the opposite of denial.

Here is another example:

In one prison over 80% of the inmates had AIDS. A social reformer suggested to the warden that condoms be distributed freely to prevent the spread of sexual diseases. The warden denied the request stating that "We do not condone sexual behaviour in the penal system." It ALREADY exists in current reality and the warden is too blind to see the obvious.

Does this clarify?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2118919 - 11/18/03 01:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I think I see your point.

But through this acceptance of the way things are currently, can we not use that perception to strive for different goals. A motivation of sorts?

--------------------

InvisibleMyInsanityTrip
Stranger

#2119002 - 11/18/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It's ok to grow and change with the times. It's ok to feel like you are moving on, be it aesthetically, your image of who you are and are going to be. It's ok to "be here now".

But I will never leave anything behind. An individual's past is vital to understanding who they are. All history is vital.

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: Current Reality [Re: kaiowas]
    #2119032 - 11/18/03 03:22 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

" there are consequences for our actions, especially when we aren't honest..."-

There are also consequences to our actions when we ARE honest...and I suppose kindness dictates NOT being honest in some circumstances...unless there is an agreement between individuals.

However, kindness may preclude honest interaction publicly, so as not to disturb the dreams of others.

imo

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Current Reality [Re: castaway]
    #2119262 - 11/18/03 08:16 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I saw someone wearing a T shirt that said just three words "This Is It." That could be a good slogan for current reality, such as "This is it. this is how it is. appreciate it" something like that, reduced to simply "this is it."

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Current Reality [Re: Shroomism]
    #2120884 - 11/18/03 07:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"can we not use that perception to strive for different goals. A motivation of sorts?"

Certainly, but that's not usually what people do if they're not living in "THE NOW" because if you're dwelling on the past or future you're thinking "things COULD/SHOULD/WOULD be like X but instead they're like Y. I want things to be like X because Y sucks..."

When one starts living in the now, on can think "ok so since things are Y and not X as I'd prefer, what do I need to do NOW to turn Y into X?"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Current Reality [Re: Strumpling]
    #2121548 - 11/19/03 12:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"But I will never leave anything behind. An individual's past is vital to understanding who they are. All history is vital."

Not true. History has a lot more to do with the future than the past. Get over it.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Current Reality [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2124252 - 11/20/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
"But I will never leave anything behind. An individual's past is vital to understanding who they are. All history is vital."

Not true. History has a lot more to do with the future than the past. Get over it.

Even though you were responding to the statement that an individual's past is important to understanding who they are, I disagree that history has more to do with the future than the past. I think history is relevant to both the past and the future: They are equal.

An individual's past goes back further than just that individual's life time. It goes back into past lives. What we did in past lives, what we have done so far in the present life, both have bearing on our futures.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder