Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

Carrying Pepper Spray
    #2118849 - 11/18/03 03:12 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

/

Edited by Anonymous (04/09/11 05:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #2118871 - 11/18/03 03:25 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

uummmmmmmm....

ok?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Anonymous #2

#2119004 - 11/18/03 04:50 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

i wouldn't trust pepper spray, go here and get a zapper:

http://sharpchoice.com/therest.htm

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2119222 - 11/18/03 09:52 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Depending on where you live.. it may be illegal. I know here in canada, it is illegal to carry around pepper spray.. BUT you can carry around the 'dog spray'.. which is very similiar.

Is the encounter at all avoidable? Cuz if you are afraid that it may result in violence and if you ask yourself "is it really worth it?" and it's not, then maybe you should just keep yourself out of that situation.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
    #2119380 - 11/18/03 11:21 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Usually, taking a martial art will give you a new perception to using violence; it is always the last resort. This may force you in to the attitude that you want to talk your way out of everything, IE, giving you the confidence you need. Try it, even if it doesn't do that effect, you will probably feel a lot safer (just so long as you don't take any knife fighting seminar, those basically teach you that you're going to get cut, and you need to deal with it).

I'm not sure about the pepper spray, but you should talk to someone at a police station and ask what is an accepted self defense tool.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: CeeEssGee]
    #2119392 - 11/18/03 11:28 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Just buy a glock19. The bastard is small and nice. Fill it up with blanks and add some real rounds before the blanks just in case the blanks don't scare the fuckers away.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Anonymous #2

Post deleted by Papaver [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #2119474 - 11/18/03 12:43 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: ]
    #2119921 - 11/18/03 03:19 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

By the way, that karate crap does not work against a group. You will get your ass kicked, the mainsteam karate is only for self defense, if u wanna go on the offensive and then run then u need to learn something else.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: downforpot]
    #2120112 - 11/18/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

i recomend those lil plastic sporks :smile:

now; in all seriousness, if you are looking to be offensive in a confrontation, i have no advice to give, but if you are going to have to *defend* yourself, i recomend mace/pepperspray, but do not use it unless you are absolutely in danger. while it may be leagal to carry, no weopon [in the united states], is explititly leagal to use in any situation i am aware of. if you where to injure someone, and claim self defence, you are automaticaly admitting to asault in the event that you can not convince a judge. violence is a last resort in every situation.

you will want to find a good balance between effectivenes and safety for the person you are defending yourself against [with a clear enphasis on the latter] unless you have reason to fear for your life.

another good option is a kubotan. they are small blunterd sticks about half an inch wide, about the width of your palm [usualy aluminum when found in the us and come on key chains]. they are verry effective for asistance in holds, can be used safely for efective strikes in non vital areas so you do not have to worry as much about seriously injuring your opponent, though this possibility is ever present in any fight.

never engage in a fight you can avoid, as the situation seldom warrents the potential consequenses.

if you are to carry any weopon, be absolutely sure you are capable of using it efectively, and do not carry any deadly weopon. there are exceptions to this ofcourse, but i still do not rtecomend it to anyone.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: canid]
    #2120343 - 11/18/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Just buy a glock19. The bastard is small and nice. Fill it up with blanks and add some real rounds before the blanks just in case the blanks don't scare the fuckers away.

Buy a gun?  That's the advice you give?  Shoot them? :nonono:

By the way, that karate crap does not work against a group. You will get your ass kicked, the mainsteam karate is only for self defense, if u wanna go on the offensive and then run then u need to learn something else.

I gather you have never taken any sort of martial art?  I've taken three different styles and YES they DO teach you how to take on a group.  I wont go into any further detail because this is not the forum for a debate like this.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Global Living Space

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2120345 - 11/18/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I agree with CeeEssGee that a martial art is your best defense. I would recommend Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, Chin Na, Jiu-Jitsu, or any combination thereof. It is a lifelong defense, and you don't need any weapons.

Pepper spray is legal in every US state, I believe.. so it's not a crime to carry it.

Your first thought should be fight or flight. Is there a reason to harm this person, are they going to attempt to hurt you?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: sykobish]
    #2120367 - 11/18/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Well technically, Karate is not a very effective martial art for street fighting, and especially not for taking on groups of people. It is more of a sport than a martial art, where you get points...
There are MANY different styles of martial arts, with different purposes. Karate is not one I am fond of.

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Re: Carrying Pepper Spray [Re: Shroomism]
    #2120387 - 11/18/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

The only reason for that, is because karate is the most glamorous, and public martial art. Publicity = corruption, and there are a LOT of karate dojos that are utter bullshit, that can give black belts in a year, even. There are still quite a few accomplished karate practicioners/teachers, though, and it is nothing to scoff at.

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2120398 - 11/18/03 06:04 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I am aware of that.. I was reffering to the commercialization of it, which you will find in 98% of the cases when looking for "Karate"...especially in the states. I know because I took karate for two years, it was my first attempt at a martial art.. I got my second degree black belt when I realized I still couldn't fight and a blue belt in jiu jitsu could kick my ass with ease.

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

#2120422 - 11/18/03 06:15 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Regardless, beating the shit out of people isn't the only reason to take a martial art. Just the confidence that one would recieve from taking any martial art for a while is more than enough to get out of most situations. And, even though you may be able to take on a whole group of people, any smart person knows that you don't WANT to, because each additional person adds more of a chance that one of them can get lucky. If there is the option of flight, it is always the first option. I've been in one of these situations before, and I WISH I kept running, even though there wasn't a single scratch on me.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2120458 - 11/18/03 06:29 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Beating the shit out of people should NEVER be a reason for taking a martial art, anyone who takes it with that intention will learn quickly. It teaches you many things besides the ability to defend yourself.. discipline.. the wisdom to choose fight or flight.. the ability to maintain a level head in chaotic situations.. etc.
Of course you want to avoid confrontation whenever possible, that is what they teach you. But the whole concept behind martial arts is not running away, it is being able to defend yourself under any circumstance. Above all else any good dojo will teach you to respect this knowledge, and any person who comes out a warrior, will be ten times less likely to go around picking a fight than before. I have been in one fight since I started taking martial arts 10 years ago, and it was me defending myself from an attack. I am glad I had the knowledge and technique to be able to do it. On the same token, I will never go around looking for a fight, because above all else I respect other humans. Fighting is only necessary as a last resort, when communication fails to work and there is nowhere to run.
It's not about 'beating ass', it's about having respect for yourself and others. It's about "not having your ass beat".

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

#2120477 - 11/18/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Well, yes, but when I say "beating the shit out of someone", I don't mean just randomly finding someone and starting a fight with them, I'm talking about neutralizing someone who you do not have the option of fleeing from.

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2120489 - 11/18/03 06:38 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Well technically, Karate is not a very effective martial art for street fighting, and especially not for taking on groups of people. It is more of a sport than a martial art, where you get points...
There are MANY different styles of martial arts, with different purposes. Karate is not one I am fond of.

I was talking about martial arts. Not karate.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2120533 - 11/18/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Ah yes, well then I agree, as well as with your other points. Just providing some input not neccessarily directed towards you but for others considering martial arts.

Neutralization = Key. 

I was talking about martial arts. Not karate.

I know.. but the person you replied to was talking about karate  :tongue:

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2120600 - 11/18/03 07:11 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

haha You and your quick reply skills. :wink: :heart: I thought you were replying to me.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being