Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation
    #2117678 - 11/17/03 07:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Enotake just posted her experiences on an intensive
10 day retreat, has anyone else done intensive retreats
like this ? or had interesting experiences with
Vipassana meditation ?
Thanks !

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: lucid]
    #2117814 - 11/17/03 07:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ya, this was my post in 'trip tips' re combining sensory deprivation with tripping.

Quote:

I went on a 10 day meditation retreat - vipassana -where we had to meditate for 10 hours a day, every day, and were not allowed to talk to anyone or do anything in our breaks besides sleep, eat and walk. By the end of it I was pretty well sensorily deprived and I had some vivid hallucinations while meditating. I knew they were just hallucinations or 'visions'. I saw a white light of love and compassion projecting out of my forehead, and I saw snakes coming out of my body and saw spiral staircases like the double helix in front of my eyes. I also saw a woman changing into different other women of different nationalities and there was this one unchanging woman watching over the others and I thought they were my past lives. Anyway, the visions I guess could have been because of the meditation or the sensory deprivation because both are altered states of consciousness and altered states share characteristics - one that is hallucinations. Though by the end of the retreat all stimulation became very strong. I read when I got home that is a characteristic of sensory deprivation - if you get very little external stimulation you start overstimulating on the inside, and any stimulation you do get from the outside is extra strong. Like, I would walk out of the meditation room and the light would be extremely bright. Somebody started snoring in the meditation room once and it was extremely funny, we couldn't stop giggling - stuff like that. The effects lasted for a week or so after leaving (same with other people I know who have done the vipassana) like TV was just a bit much because it was too overstimulating. I had to get to uni to hand in something and just getting there and doing that (though normally a piece of cake) was quite stressful - seemed like such a process. So the stimulation could be good or bad. I dunno, I think I would be scared to trip in that state. They have vipassana in most countries if you were interested in trying that.

I am interested in Lucid's question as well, if anyone has had any such experiences with meditation or vipassana.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: enotake2]
    #2117910 - 11/17/03 08:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm planning on attending a 10 day retreat next year at the Northwest Vipassana center. Which one did you go to?

--------------------

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: chunder]
    #2117928 - 11/17/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I went to one in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia.You'll have to tell us how you found it after you've been.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: enotake2]
    #2117974 - 11/17/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I certainly will, it sounds like an amazing program.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: chunder]
    #2118214 - 11/17/03 10:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

what an intersting concept. 10 hours of meditation a day, that's hardcore concentration/discipline. too bad society won't allow too much of this for a lot of people.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisiblechunder
marker

Re: Vipassana/Insight/Mindfulness Meditation [Re: kaiowas]
    #2118223 - 11/17/03 10:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the 10 day courses are free too. the costs of the course are paid for by previous students' donations.

http://www.dhamma.org/na.htm

That site has a list of all the centers in N.America, if anyone is interested. Peace.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology