Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMtez44
LuckyRabbit
 User Gallery

Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Hoss1234]
    #23323371 - 06/08/16 08:08 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Van, after a few successful pftek/grain grows I am definitely going to get into agar. I am new here but I'm like a sponge right now and ways wanting to take it to the next level. Your write up gives me hope. Also loved your reference about "using the stuff at the bottom after racking a carboy" for nitrogen. That is also another hobby of mine. Are you on the HD forum by chance?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleopenmindedcanvas
spreadjalove
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Psilicon]
    #23326095 - 06/09/16 02:34 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

you da man

Offlineshitakigirl
Seeker

Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: openmindedcanvas]
    #23340138 - 06/13/16 04:37 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Wow thanks!  I started reading about Agar yesterday and got completely lost.  This is a great primer!!  Should be required reading.

--------------------
Yeah!  I know.... Einstein couldn't spell either.

Offlinemaestro50
Stranger
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: shitakigirl]
    #23448839 - 07/17/16 05:30 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Hello all. Im sorry im upping this thread but i have two questions!

I didnt quite catch the recipe... what does it mean 0-20 grams of starch.. is it like zero starch or 20 grams i dont get it? Why cant u just write exact amount of the things...

"A decent sized agar plate which won't dry out too quickly but won't waste resources is about 20-25mL, so if you're doing 10 you want at least 250mL of medium to account for spillage.  This translates to 0-20g of starch, 0-5g of sugar, and 2.5-7.5g of agar, and then however many grams of water you need to make the whole thing weigh 250g"

And one more thing. In my country there is this agar available for sale... u think it is ok? it just says organic agar

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: maestro50]
    #23449210 - 07/17/16 09:01 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

0-20 grams starch means exactly that. You want more or less depending on what you are doing with it. Sometimes you want very little nutrition or even none, to reintroduce vigor to a tired culture. Sometimes you want lots for things like spore germination.

250ml of water = 250 grams. 250 grams of ingredients and water will occupy a volume very close to 250ml.

Yes that agar will work.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #23449742 - 07/17/16 12:21 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Probably a stupid question but is there any links to a page on how to use the agar once you have growth I.e. what bits to cut out and use the difference between clean areas contam areas general myc identification. I've got two plates I've innoc from spore print and I'm worried I'll not be able to identify anything as its my first go

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #23449758 - 07/17/16 12:27 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:
edges of colonized agar can be cut out with flame-sterilized scalpel or hobby knife and then transferred onto a clean plate to isolate.

This link provided in the OP shows how to make transfers and has some good pics. In a well written piece like this you should be clicking the provided links as you go. That will teach you and fill in the blanks.

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #23449759 - 07/17/16 12:27 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

stropharis cleaning and isolating on agar :super:

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #23449761 - 07/17/16 12:30 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:
edges of colonized agar can be cut out with flame-sterilized scalpel or hobby knife and then transferred onto a clean plate to isolate.

This link provided in the OP shows how to make transfers and has some good pics. In a well written piece like this you should be clicking the provided links as you go. That will teach you and fill in the blanks.

Quote:

spacechildo said:
stropharis cleaning and isolating on agar :super:

Exactly what I wanted thank you and sorry read through this thread twice and managed to miss the link

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

Edited by mrmazdarx9 (07/17/16 12:31 PM)

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23449770 - 07/17/16 12:34 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

It's a pretty big OP. No worries. But I personally find it odd this doesn't see more action, a great resource here.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#23449794 - 07/17/16 12:47 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I didn't clock the blue type were links just thought they were important highlighted words lol fail on my part

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

Edited by mrmazdarx9 (07/17/16 12:47 PM)

Offlinemaestro50
Stranger
    #23450536 - 07/17/16 05:12 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

But u must unerstand that the beginner like me wants to know how much exactly to put in. If the TEK says: 0-20g of starch, 0-5g of sugar

Maybe i can put zero starch and zero sugar right? What will i know i just need general recipe like in the pf cakes its like, 3 verm, 3 water and 2 brown rice. Not correct but u get it... i just want exact measures pls

I found this

1g honey,2g agar,3g potato flakes, 1/2 cups of water

Good?

Edited by maestro50 (07/17/16 05:17 PM)

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: maestro50]
    #23450548 - 07/17/16 05:16 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Most if the time the standard recipe is 2% agar 2-4% nutes.

So if you were making PDA and you wanted 500 ml worth you want 10 grams agar, 10 grams potato starch and 5-10 grams dextrose (simple sugar like karo or SITR work)

If you go through my agar tek (linked in my sig and the OP of this thread) it will tell you exactly how much to use.

Offlinemaestro50
Stranger
    #23450565 - 07/17/16 05:20 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Most if the time the standard recipe is 2% agar 2-4% nutes.

So if you were making PDA and you wanted 500 ml worth you want 10 grams agar, 10 grams potato starch and 5-10 grams dextrose (simple sugar like karo or SITR work)

If you go through my agar tek (linked in my sig and the OP of this thread) it will tell you exactly how much to use.

Thank u for your work. Ive bookmarked your tek and reading it. So dextrose is honey... any kind just honey?

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23450587 - 07/17/16 05:28 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Dextrose is glucose. Basically sugar. Honey, Karo, SITR, all work just fine. Avoid refined sugar. Also less sugar is more, too much shocks the culture.

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#23477541 - 07/26/16 02:45 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys, sorry I'm not as active as I once was.  I've got a lot going on in my personal life, but hopefully it will be getting better soon and I can spend some more time on here.

I did my best to provide working ranges instead of an exact amount for a few reasons:

1.  I want you to be able to make your own recipe out of what you have on hand, and that means not just the kind of ingredients you have but also the quantities you have on hand.  If you're running short corn starch, that's fine.  If what you have falls within the range it will work.  If you're out of starch and don't have any at all, that's fine too (even if it isn't optimal).  You'll get growth.  You can work with what you have without having to run back to the store.

2.  I really wanted to stress how much agar preparation is not an exact science. In some science experiments an exact recipe is needed if you need standardization of media, either to show that you aren't fucking with the results or to exactly replicate another experiment.  But for the most part all you need to know is how much is too much and how much is too little.  How many Pringles should you eat?  More than two, but less than half the tube.

3.  I suspect different isolates/strains have different requirements.  For instance, I'm huge and I work a very physical job.  My caloric and mineral requirements are more than likely different from yours.

4.  Some people don't have accurate (or any) scales.  That's why I included the part about water weight/volume. If you aim for the middle of the range but aren't sure how close you are, I want you to be confident that you'll have success anyway.

5.  I want you to understand the nutritional requirements of the fungus because that's helpful for a lot of reasons that I won't get into here.

6.  I want you to experiment.  If you stay within the guidelines here, I promise you your agar recipe will work. 

If you choose to use someone else's recipe, that's great--you'll find many good ones on this site (some of which I've linked to because really, I'm not jealous) and in many other places on the web.  You'll find that all of them fall well within the parameters I set above.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Invisiblelittlespider
spider
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Psilicon]
    #23768925 - 10/25/16 03:38 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Saving for later thanks

--------------------
remember what the dormouse said

Offlinemaestro50
Stranger
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: littlespider]
    #23809146 - 11/07/16 09:58 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all.. i have one quick question

I bought 12w 60 equivalent bulb and it says 2700 kelvin. they had like 10 types of cfl and all 2700... can i use it anyways?

OfflineTylershatto5
Psily Sybe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #24007208 - 01/13/17 01:47 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

im making PDA by the book but cant seem to get it right i end up with a moisture build up of yellow moisture and has no smell but doesnt seem to work at all

--------------------
I dont ask for opinions i ask for facts!

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar - what, why and how? Everything a beginner needs to know. [Re: Tylershatto5]
    #24007352 - 01/13/17 02:29 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tylershatto5 said:
im making PDA by the book but cant seem to get it right i end up with a moisture build up of yellow moisture and has no smell but doesnt seem to work at all

Use the recipe in my signature

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag