Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 5448 | 5449 | 5450 | 5451 | 5452 | 5453 | 5454 | 5455 | 5456 | 5457 | 5458 | 5459 | 5460 | 5461 | 5462 | 5463 | 5464 | 5465 | 5466 | 5467 | 5468 | Next > | Last >
OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #27219960 - 02/22/21 09:45 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Pastyoureyes gang!

How I see it is that there's no negatives to pasteurizing coir+verm by putting it in a bucket and adding boiling water, so why not do it if it has even the slightest chance of stopping some contam? I personally pasteurize with bucket tek because I keep my verm in the garage, where I dispose of my tubs, so there's a chance there's a lot of spores flyin' around out there. Boiling water also hydrates coir really well. Plus, if I use boiling water, then I can go take a shower and prep my tubs before I spawn while I wait for the substrate to cool down! I spray my tubs down with incide and let them sit for 30 minutes, then wipe them dry. Probably another waste of time according to some folks around here, buuuuuuuut I like the peace of mind knowing I've tried everything I can to keep contams down.

--------------------

Keep 'em high and tight guys....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMelliferous
🌵🍄🌵🍄🌵
 Unread Journal

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Justweed]
    #27219969 - 02/22/21 09:48 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Cuteness overload.

--------------------

"No, I don't worry. I tell you, I am a man who believed that I died 20 years ago, and I live like a man who is dead already. I have no fear, whatsoever, of anybody or anything."

InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27219977 - 02/22/21 09:52 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Justweed said:
Pastyoureyes gang!

How I see it is that there's no negatives to pasteurizing coir+verm by putting it in a bucket and adding boiling water, so why not do it if it has even the slightest chance of stopping some contam?

Because that's not pasteurization. If you knew what he meant by pasteurization you wouldn't have mentioned bucket tek.
Pasteurization is a fucking waste of time, this is why everyone bucket teks coir.
Save pasteurization for manure substrate.
Do whatever floats your boat, however if you're going to try and lay down some knowledge around here you should probably double check that you're not firing your foot straight into your mouth by saying something dumb.

OfflineKabluee
Stranger

#27219980 - 02/22/21 09:54 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

(Deleted)

Edited by Kabluee (02/22/21 10:00 AM)

OfflineOne of Us
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #27219982 - 02/22/21 09:55 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Can you see the weird one?

--------------------
LAGM 2021
LAGM 2020
Trade List

OfflineKabluee
Stranger

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #27219983 - 02/22/21 09:56 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

p9hu7 said:
Quote:

Justweed said:
Pastyoureyes gang!

How I see it is that there's no negatives to pasteurizing coir+verm by putting it in a bucket and adding boiling water, so why not do it if it has even the slightest chance of stopping some contam?

Because that's not pasteurization. If you knew what he meant by pasteurization you wouldn't have mentioned bucket tek.
Pasteurization is a fucking waste of time, this is why everyone bucket teks coir.

So youre saying that Bucket tek doesnt actually pasturize it only hydrates the coir?

So then no realy need to insulate it or have it cooldown on its own over night correct?

So i can just use warm water and not have to wait many hours?

There is so much outdated information on here its hard sifting through it all as a newbie,sorry if my questions sound dumb

Edited by Kabluee (02/22/21 10:00 AM)

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Kabluee]
    #27219988 - 02/22/21 10:01 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kabluee said:
So youre saying that Bucket tek doesnt actually pasturize it only hydrates the coir?

So then no realy need to insulate it or have it cooldown on its own over night correct?

⚡️

Yeah man. Like pasty said, hot water expands the coir faster than cold. No need to insulate or anything. It's purpose isn't to kill microbes it's to expand coir in a hurry. Have you ever tried to expand coir with cold water?

I use coir for cannabis all of the time, so does Pasty. Its funny that guy is posting about how well his bucket tek coir is doing while thinking it's due to pasteurization :facepalm:

InvisibleMelliferous
🌵🍄🌵🍄🌵
 Unread Journal

#27219991 - 02/22/21 10:02 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kabluee said:

Yep, read this and see if it works for you. Notice we're using hot water, not boiling water.

--------------------

"No, I don't worry. I tell you, I am a man who believed that I died 20 years ago, and I live like a man who is dead already. I have no fear, whatsoever, of anybody or anything."

Edited by Melliferous (02/22/21 10:03 AM)

OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

#27219999 - 02/22/21 10:07 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

p9hu7 said:
Quote:

Justweed said:
Pastyoureyes gang!

Do whatever floats your boat, however if you're going to try and lay down some knowledge around here you should probably double check that you're not firing your foot straight into your mouth by saying something dumb.

How's it not pasteurization when it's above 160*F for at least an hour? It's not sterilization. Not sure what you'd call pasteurization if it isn't keeping above a certain temperature for a period of time...

--------------------

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Melliferous] * 1
    #27220000 - 02/22/21 10:08 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hey p9hu7 obviously a lot of members here want to respect you and dont know as much as you.

--------------------
yeah keep telling yourself that's voluntary

OfflineKabluee
Stranger

Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Justweed] * 1
    #27220009 - 02/22/21 10:11 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

(Deleted)

Edited by Kabluee (02/22/21 10:16 AM)

OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

#27220016 - 02/22/21 10:15 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

"Pasteurization or pasteurisation is a process in which packaged and non-packaged foods (such as milk and fruit juice) are treated with mild heat"

So we're not talking about food or packaged materials here, buuuuuuuut by definition, if you add boiling water to something and let it sit for a period of time slowly letting the temperature drop, that's pasteurization. I'm all for listening to authority on topics/subjects, but when they come in and basically insult anyone who thinks they aren't right rather than explaining why they're correct, that's not a good way to have discourse.

--------------------

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Justweed] * 2
    #27220019 - 02/22/21 10:19 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Justweed said:
"Pasteurization or pasteurisation is a process in which packaged and non-packaged foods (such as milk and fruit juice) are treated with mild heat"

So we're not talking about food or packaged materials here, buuuuuuuut by definition, if you add boiling water to something and let it sit for a period of time, that's pasteurization. I'm all for listening to authority on topics/subjects, but when they come in and basically insult anyone who thinks they aren't right rather than explaining why they're correct, that's not a good way to have discourse.

not really. Pasteurizing is done at a specific temp range and holds temp for a certain time. Boiling is well over pasteruerizing temp, and you're not measuring to hold temps. You'll never see people pasteurize poo by dumping boiling water on it, they double boil or some other method and monitor temps.

If you wanna debate maybe take it to the cult discussion thread. This is over a page now.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: tututotutut] * 2
    #27220022 - 02/22/21 10:19 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

IMO properly pasteurizing for mycology purposes means holding temp between 140-160 for 60-90 min depending on elevation. I try to keep it bang on at 150 myself for about 70 min cause I’m a bit high up compared to people on the coast. Anything hotter and longer than that is a partial sterilization. 10^6 of kill is generally what we are aiming for when running a PC full of grain for 90+ min at 15 psi. Less than that may be considered sterilization for different applications/disciplines. Sterilization is a game of overkill however, and so I’d rather run grain for an extra 30 min instead of losing it a week later, cause IMO more = more.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27220024 - 02/22/21 10:20 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Bucket tek with boiling water in an insulated vessel is closer to sterilization than pasteurization. Look up pasteurization. Pasteurization holds temps in range for an 1-1.5 hours. Your boiling water far exceeds pasteurization parameters in every way, so it's not pasteurization, its adding hot or boiling water to a bucket.

Boiling water isn't even unnecessary, I run hot water from my tap to expand in a regular 5gal bucket. No need for blankets, insulation or anything else.

Edit*

Pasty beat me to it ; )

OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

#27220034 - 02/22/21 10:25 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

If you add ~3600ml of boiling water to a 5 gallon bucket with 1 brick of coir and 3 quarts of verm, the temp will stay above 160*F for at least 1 hour. I can't say how long it'll stay over because I only took temp readings the first few times I did this, and I only wanted to ensure that the temp was over 160*F for a minimum amount of time. This might be closer to sterilization, it might be closer to pasteurization, either way, it's not just soaking/rehydrating, there is a destruction of biological material happening. It's not pointless, it's not a waste of time, it's doing something. To scoff it off as doing absolutely nothing is silly.

--------------------

OfflineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27220036 - 02/22/21 10:26 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
IMO properly pasteurizing for mycology purposes means holding temp between 140-160 for 60-90 min depending on elevation. I try to keep it bang on at 150 myself for about 70 min cause I’m a bit high up compared to people on the coast. Anything hotter and longer than that is a partial sterilization. 10^6 of kill is generally what we are aiming for when running a PC full of grain for 90+ min at 15 psi. Less than that may be considered sterilization for different applications/disciplines. Sterilization is a game of overkill however, and so I’d rather run grain for an extra 30 min instead of losing it a week later, cause IMO more = more.

Just a slight correction - elevation won't affect this. It does affect the boiling point, but pasteurization is below that so you're good no matter the elevation - all is gonna work just the same.

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

#27220037 - 02/22/21 10:26 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

to get back on topic shout out to pastywhyte for the agar tek, seriously, (even using red) its the best damm beginner agar tek out there. Absolutely critical learning step if youre on a budget. Thanks pastywhyte!

Just got these syringes in the mail, I got work to do!!

--------------------
yeah keep telling yourself that's voluntary

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Adas] * 2
    #27220045 - 02/22/21 10:29 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Adas said:
Quote:

Pastywhyte said:

Just a slight correction - elevation won't affect this. It does affect the boiling point, but pasteurization is below that so you're good no matter the elevation - all is gonna work just the same.

Yeah I understand that elevation shouldn’t matter but it’s one of those things my brain can’t shake, I’m an irrational noob about certain things myself :lol:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation pic of the day [Re: Justweed] * 3
    #27220046 - 02/22/21 10:29 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Justweed said:
If you add ~3600ml of boiling water to a 5 gallon bucket with 1 brick of coir and 3 quarts of verm, the temp will stay above 160*F for at least 1 hour. I can't say how long it'll stay over because I only took temp readings the first few times I did this, and I only wanted to ensure that the temp was over 160*F for a minimum amount of time. This might be closer to sterilization, it might be closer to pasteurization, either way, it's not just soaking/rehydrating, there is a destruction of biological material happening. It's not pointless, it's not a waste of time, it's doing something. To scoff it off as doing absolutely nothing is silly.

Lol. Ok I need a break, my blood is beginning to pasteurize. :lol:

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 5448 | 5449 | 5450 | 5451 | 5452 | 5453 | 5454 | 5455 | 5456 | 5457 | 5458 | 5459 | 5460 | 5461 | 5462 | 5463 | 5464 | 5465 | 5466 | 5467 | 5468 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract