Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug
    #2115779 - 11/17/03 10:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.click2houston.com/family/2637576/detail.html

Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug
Police: Parents Should Look Out For 'Angel Trumpet'

UPDATED: 10:04 a.m. EST November 14, 2003

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Television station KMBC uncovered a new drug craze that could turn deadly.

The drug, which is ostensibly legal, is made from a plant available at many nurseries. When distilled, toxins in the plant's leaves can cause hallucinations that last for hours or days.

Last month, someone twice stole the plant -- called the Angel Trumpet, Datura or Jimsonweed -- from Johnson County Community College's botanical department. The plant has become such a hot commodity, local nurseries are getting calls from teens who ask how much the plant costs and how they can get one, the station reported.

Jesse Rollwagon, a narcotics detective with the Overland (Kan.) Park Police Department, first took notice of the plant a few months ago.

"Basically, this is just a poison," he said. "It cooks your brains sometimes."

The plant is not smoked, but instead brewed into a tea that can have disastrous results.

Bobby Wainscott, a nurse at the Mid-America Poison Control Center, recently took a call from someone who had taken Angel Trumpet.

"By the time they got him to the hospital an hour later, he was already hallucinating," Wainscott said.

And the hallucinations can be nightmarish and last for hours or sometimes days, the station reported. Those who take the drug are often left seriously ill, combative and uncontrollable. A German teenager who was reportedly high on the drug recently mutilated himself by cutting off his penis and his tongue.

Wainscott said the poison center has taken about 20 calls about Angel Trumpet in the last few months.

Police believe curious kids have been doing research on the Internet and taking it without considering the dangers.

"Word of mouth gets around, gossip gets around. Unfortunately, they don't tell them 'Here's the danger here, here's the danger there,'" Rollwagon said.

Police warned parents to keep an eye out for the new -- and potentially deadly -- drug.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: motaman]
    #2115977 - 11/17/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i can't think of any reason to fuck around with that shite other than extreme boredom...

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: ]
    #2116045 - 11/17/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> i can't think of any reason to fuck around with that shite other than extreme boredom...

Or ignorance... you hear the media talk about this "new drug" that is "like LSD or magic mushrooms" and kids, being kids, decide to play.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #2116153 - 11/17/03 11:33 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This site is plastered with warnings about that plant!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #2116421 - 11/17/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, thats too bad. Thats what you get for making drugs illegal and then desperate people are looking for other ways to get high.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: daussaulit]
    #2116614 - 11/17/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> Thats what you get for making drugs illegal and then desperate people are looking for other ways to get high.

I agree 100%. It is also what happens when you waste money on prisons rather than education. The media is as much to blame as anybody... they are the ones that liken the effects of datura to those of LSD or mushrooms. I understand the media's logic... "we have demonized LSD and mushrooms through education, so when we talk about datura being like LSD and mushrooms, nobody with any sense would want to try it." If only they would tell the truth... *sigh*

--------------------

Offlinejonas

Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: sirreal]
    #2116863 - 11/17/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sirreal said:
This site is plastered with warnings about that plant! 

...and yet we promote sponsers who sell datura...  :mad: 

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: Seuss]
    #2117942 - 11/17/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Its also what happens when you blast kids with so much obvious misinformation about safer drugs, which naturally makes them dubious of the same type of information about drugs like datura, even though its true in datura's case. 

"It cooks you're brain." :rolleyes:

Dude, I heard that same shit about acid and pot when I was little.  And yet when I was 13 I knew people that took acid and smoked pot, and their brains were fine.  That made me pretty much disregard the "official line" on most drugs.  Of course, I had a decent mind and access to objective information.  Some kids don't.  Government Education is all some people have.  If its so innacurate in some areas that it makes kids loose faith in its credibility, those kids are fucked.  They'll do any drug under the sun once they realize how many lies they were told about softer, safer drugs. 

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #2118095 - 11/17/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thats pretty intresting espessially since the story is from kansas. I have a friend that lives out there and he was telling me not to long ago about "moon pods". apparentlly that's what people call datura in whichita. He told me it's all over the place down there and people take it all the time. He took some and told me about what it did to him and i told him it was probably datura, then he told me about one of his friends getting arrested on it and having to go to the hospital and i told him it was datura and he shouldnt use it. He wasn't going to do it again anyway though. It's pretty sad that there are people taking one of the most dangerous drugs out there and they don't even know what the fuck they are taking.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: jonas]
    #2119168 - 11/18/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonas said:

There's nothing wrong with selling Datura as long as it's used responsibly. There are explorers who want to know what Datura is like and who can do it safely. As with any drug it shouldn't be illegal because people should decide on their own to use it or not.
What's wrong is that people are deciding to use it based on wrong information and illegality of other drugs, that's the fault of the government. 

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Anonymous

Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2119244 - 11/18/03 08:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

it's not from kansas, it's from kansas city, which is in... missouri. weird huh?

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2119447 - 11/18/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I like how the headline reads "teens turn plant into dangerous drug"...umm, as far as i know, the plant was a dangerous drug for quite a while before these teens took it. Are substances neither dangerous nor drugs until someone takes it? It sounds like someone is making a prophet out of these kids. jesus walked on water, these teens are transubstantiating a legal plant into a dangerous drug...SIMPLY BY PUTTING IT IN THEIR BODY! ALL HAIL!
Morons.
Stay frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2119515 - 11/18/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> umm, as far as i know, the plant was a dangerous drug for quite a while before these teens took it.

I think this is a case of the media getting caught in their lies. They have spent all this time and energy demonizing non-dangerous drugs as dangerous... now a true dangerous drug emerges and the media is stuck... how do you convince people that this "new" drug really is dangerous after you have lied about all those other ones.

--------------------

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: jonas]
    #2120144 - 11/18/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
Well, thats too bad.  Thats what you get for making drugs illegal and then desperate people are looking for other ways to get high. 

That is a sad truth.

Quote:

jonas said:

It is not illegal...and there are people that use it and everything goes fine. Personally I see no reason why the shroomery should 'cut off' a sponser because they sell it.

Quote:

motaman said:
"By the time they got him to the hospital an hour later, he was already hallucinating," Wainscott said. 

lol, oh no! he took a hallucinagenic tea and hallucinated!
what a stupid person, they deside to take a tea and then make a call before it even kicks in...if you diside to go thru w/ datura it should be a sure desision, not one you wig-out about 5mins after drinking it

I hate biast news reports. The media is suppost to inform, instead they lie and create sides. *sigh* "We got 5 calls this month! Watch out! It *can* do this and *can* do that!

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #2120272 - 11/18/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well what's even weirder is that it's actually split in half at the river and half the city is in KS half is in MO. But i guess you're right, that article is from MO.

Either way, my point still stands which is that people must get really fucking bored living in the midwest if using datura is becoming trendy.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#2126275 - 11/20/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

actually, Kansas City is like half in MO half in KS.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Loc: california, bay area
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2126876 - 11/21/03 07:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

LETS ALL GO CHOP OFF OUR PENISIS, AND TOUNGES!!!!!!!!!
THAT SHIT IS STRAIT GANGSTA!

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Teens Turn Legal Plant Into Dangerous Drug [Re: tuna]
    #2134379 - 11/25/03 07:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Some one should send the media some info about kids takeing CP that would be something funny to read about.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Edited by jezu (11/25/03 09:37 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate