Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

Loc: Bay Area
Today's hunt (best yet, but still no actives)
    #2111945 - 11/16/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I was growing disappointed today after 45 minutes of walking around the neighborhood led to only 1 find, a non-agaric growing in woodchips by a sewer.  I decided to jog over to my local park, and things started picking up!  I found several agarics and a few p. foenisecii before stumbling upon an area practically dominated by LBM pins.  (What's this called?  A "boom?")  Anyway, they're not active - they look somewhat like ps. cyans at first glance, but were found in grass and have several characteristics that distinguish them.  I'll post a whole description once the spore prrrnt is finished.  In another grassy area of the park, there were yellow-staining Amanitas along with two other species of as-yet-unidentified LBMs.

Basically, the park was teeming with fungus. :smile:  And as an added bonus, I found 3 Coprinus growing on a lawn on the way home!  I picked one and "transplanted" it into my backyard...not really sure if anything will happen, though.  I'm making spore prints of several of my finds, and will post full descriptions of them once they're finished.  Hopefully, I'll get a digital cam soon so I can post pics of my future finds.

Questions:

1. Do most Amanitas stain yellow, or just the "Yellow-staining" Amanita?  The yellow was pretty faint, but it was there.

2. I found nothing  growing in woodchips in the park, although the grass was very populated with shrooms.  Is it just too early in the season, or could it be that the nutrients in wood get used up in a few years, whereas the nutrients in grass are replenished every year? 

edit:  that's "agaric," not "amanita."

Edited by caller11 (11/16/03 10:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Today's hunt (best yet, but still no actives) [Re: caller11]
    #2112520 - 11/16/03 08:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

1. Most Amanitas don't bruise distinctive colors. If your Amanita bruises then that's generally a pretty good identification feature. I don't know offhand how many bruise yellow. Most bruising Amanitas bruise red or brown.

2. With saprophytic fungi there is generally a succession of species on their substrate. As specific nutrients are used up, each species will disappear and new ones will take their place. In grass there is a relatively rapid replacement of old dead grass with new dead grass. The result is that grass inhabiting saprophytes will continue to inhabit a healthy lawn for a relatively long time. Trace nutrients will probably affect which species are dominant.

With logs and wood chips there will be a definite succession of species. Recently dead trees have very different species growing on them than trees that have been dead for years. If a patch of wood chips stops producing, that may be the end of those chips for that species. Adding new chips of the same kind would renew things.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

Re: Today's hunt (best yet, but still no actives) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2112875 - 11/16/03 10:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Did I say Amanita? I meant agaric; specifically, Agaricus xanthodermus or the "Yellow Stainer."

Thanks for the info.

Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

#2113744 - 11/17/03 01:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Spore prints done.

I think one patch was Concocybe, and another was Stropharia riparia.

The other one had an orange-brown print and wavy, loose orange-brown gills.  The cap was convex and the same color.  Found on grass near some agarics.  Any ideas?

Anyway, counting P. foenisecii, I found 6 different species in a little over an hour.  Shroom hunting is fun!  :smile: (I bet it will be even more fun when I find my first ps. cyans...)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2115743 - 11/17/03 11:49 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OK, that changes the answer quite a bit.

The bruising color of Agaricus is important for identification (it is for all mushrooms). Unfortunately, yellow is a very common color in Agaricus.

The next thing you need to do is smell them. The odor is usually strongest near the top and bottom of the stem. If there is no obvious odor, try crushing the stem base and sniffing again. The main odors you're likely to find will either be sweet (almondy) or nasty (phenolic, ink-like, metallic, library paste).

Yellow staining Agaricus include the poisonous species and many of the better edible species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Today's hunt (best yet, but still no actives) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2116125 - 11/17/03 01:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Agaricus xanthoderma
badda boom badda bing
poison

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification