Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES?
    #1295110 - 02/10/03 02:40 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was just wondering since it works so good for pf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: fee]
    #1295120 - 02/10/03 02:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i think that's fine. just don't dunk dung dude

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: rhizo]
    #1295427 - 02/10/03 04:30 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It doesnt say anything in the faq about dunking grain cakes

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1295468 - 02/10/03 04:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i think they will fall apart, pf cakes can dunk case the mycelium glues the verm together, the grain is too big to get glued

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #1295572 - 02/10/03 05:24 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

if you're using grain why not make casings instead? Then you don't have to worry about dunking - your casing layer will keep the fungus hydrated.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Anonymous

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: the spiral]
    #1295591 - 02/10/03 05:30 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

All I do is case I was just trying to hydrate the grain as best as possible before I case it

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1295618 - 02/10/03 05:38 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I see. Again, the casing layer *should* provide all the water the mycelium will need. Assuming your cakes didn't somehow dry out during incubation, and assuming that you got the water content right when making them. Just mist occasionally to keep things happy.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Anonymous

#1295627 - 02/10/03 05:41 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks My casings come out preety good I just wanted to improve my method. Expeiriments are good

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1295634 - 02/10/03 05:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Experiments are more than good. I have read a version of the PFtek (i believe the MMGG) where it said that you could inject your cakes with sterile water to help hydrate them - and some people even used nutrient solutions. However, this was suggested to be done after the cakes had fruited, not immediately after removing from the jar. As you can imagine, this definately invites contamination.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1295693 - 02/10/03 06:04 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I did that with a casing to give more water content and I got 1 more shroom out of it

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1295769 - 02/10/03 06:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well casings are alot more maintenancec but improved yields? only if u have that time to keep an eye on em. ima try to dunk a grain cake but just make sure its properly colonized pretty well.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinediacamomo
Children of theVortex

Loc: Inside My Mind
Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1295860 - 02/10/03 07:18 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think you are rigth.... if the cake it's full col. there's gonna be
no problem,but i dont'n know if the myc. it's strong enough to keep the grain
together (popcorn my case) anybody try to dunk a popcake?????
I can't make a casing 'cause some fucking vendor that i rather not mention
don't send me my fucking casing material so for the moment i'm gonna use cakes
and i need to dunk those babys....

--------------------

OfflineH2O2shrooms
Couch Potato

Loc: in front of the computer
Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: diacamomo]
    #1295882 - 02/10/03 07:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yes you can dunk grain cakes.

cake is already in a jar the first time, so dunking is easy and after the first flush its pretty solid myc.

--------------------
Mycology is a lot like quantum mechanics in that we don?t have causal relationships like in Newtonian physics, only probabilities of various outcomes.<=== Misapropriated from Mycofile

Invisiblelapotionmagique

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: H2O2shrooms]
    #21111926 - 01/13/15 05:36 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Hello,

a lot of information but not really clear one. Did somebody tried to make
grain cakes and then dunk and roll them? What was the success?

My fear is that the grain cake will crumble if being dunked too long? For how long should i dunk them?

--------------------

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: lapotionmagique]
    #21112026 - 01/13/15 06:40 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

This is a ten-year-old thread, so I doubt any of the original posters will come along to answer that.  I'll be happy to try, but I need more info.  What do you mean by grain cakes?  Are they ground and mixed with vermiculite or do you mean just colonized grain that's been taken out of a jar in one piece?

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Invisiblelapotionmagique

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: Psilicon]
    #21112063 - 01/13/15 07:01 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for response van der griegen,

is whole barley grain mixed with vermiculite (dont ask me about ratio because i did it by "feeling") and also a bit of gypsum. I mixed everything together (barley, vermiculite, gypsum) and soaked it for 24hours in mixture of water and non alcohol beer. Then i cooked mixture for a good hour, drained it, filled in wide mouth jars and pressure cooked for a good hour. Then i inoculated them with spore syringes. They jars are completely covered with white mycelium by now. So...

There are really scarce information about fruiting grain cakes, dunking grain cakes,...

I was thinking to take them out now and dunk and roll them in vermiculite but i am afraid they might fall apart soaking in water? Anybody has any experience with that? For how long should i dunk them? I guess they dont need to soak so long as flour cakes since they are much less dense?

--------------------

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#21112087 - 01/13/15 07:14 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

They should not fall apart if you dunk them, which people usually do for 12-24 hours.  However, I would recommend doing a bulk substrate instead.  Look up trays and monotubs.  They'll significantly improve your yield.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Invisiblelapotionmagique

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: Psilicon]
    #21112116 - 01/13/15 07:27 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well i am going to try to fruit them as they are now, grain cakes. That was my original plan because of simplicity, and to learn since is my first time :grin:

Thanks, doing dunking in 3,2,1 :grin:

--------------------

OfflineBugler Boy
Cultivar

Loc: In your head
    #21112123 - 01/13/15 07:29 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well thats the oldest thread I've seen bumped in a while...

--------------------
The mushroom speaks: '"I am old, older than thought in your species, which is itself fifty times older than your history. Though I have been on earth for ages I am from the stars. My home is no one planet, for many worlds scattered through the shining disc of the galaxy have conditions which allow my spores an opportunity for life... How the hypercommunication mode operates is a secret which will not be lightly given to man. But the means should be obvious: it is the occurrence of psilocybin and psilocin in the biosynthetic pathways of my living body that opens for me and my symbiots the vision screens to many worlds"

Invisiblelapotionmagique

Re: CAN YOU DUNK GRAIN CAKES? [Re: Bugler Boy]
    #21112223 - 01/13/15 07:57 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Well i really want to try to make and grow grain cakes because of simplicity, cleanliness and since the grains are much cheaper than flour (at my place). So thats why i am asking about grains.

I was reading trough this forum to learn from scratch and always when somebody mentioned grain cakes and fruiting them directly everybody more or less changed the topic to bulk (not even to mention confusion created because using word casing for bulk substrates and protective layer...).

Since i dont have a lot of space and since i dont have conditions or knowledge yet how to use hay or manure or... i figured it out grains are probably the best option for me...

Did somebody maybe tried to go bulk with grains? Using grains as a bulk substrate?

I hope i am not reinventing hot water :grin:

--------------------

Edited by lapotionmagique (01/13/15 07:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures