Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletuna
Stranger

Loc: california, bay area
albino TC encouragement? * 1
    #2109969 - 11/15/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i have heard of the existance of treasure coast cubies creating an albino substrain at random, and i want to know if there are any ways to make this more likely. i am thinking of using colored lights, but i dont really think it will work. any other ideas?

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: tuna]
    #2109980 - 11/15/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2110008 - 11/15/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

been thinking of looking at this strain lately and as i have never seen it in person i don't really have alot to add.

but would it not be neat to isolate this trait of treasure coast? i am sure it is more diffucult than that or many would have already done so. yet could it not be the future of the spore vendors to sell isolates of the strains along side the strain itself.

i mean sooner or later all of the cubes in the world will be found and you will not see new strains popping up.

i guess the z strain is already an example of this but how come the albino TC is not out there?

just throwing thoughts out :smirk:

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: jumpship]
    #2110083 - 11/15/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: ]
    #2110201 - 11/15/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well that would explain it bullet, but then again why do they not produce spores? is it some flaw in the genetics of the treasure coast that makes the albino come out?

also i assume that all p. cub. came from the same source at some point and just due to the lightness of a spore, got blown all around the world. so the ones in india and thailand are the same as the ones in florida, just changed over time to better suit the enviro they grow in. would that not be true?

just curious about these things tonight and have no extensive knowledge on the subject, just thinking out loud.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: jumpship]
    #2110505 - 11/16/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2110514 - 11/16/03 12:16 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

since this albino spin-off is actually just some sort of weird genotype mutation, it isnt really a seperate entity from the Treasure Coast, it cannot be isolated - an example of the flawed genetics of the albino is the fact that it is always sterile.
The above is correct. The albino and other genotype variants of treasure coast display that it isnt a very well domesticated or stable entity = it may perform, or it may produce mutants and there are no variables that will affect this that i am aware of.
When you domesticate a mushroom found in the wild, the stronger sporematch genetics win out in the cultured environment - in time if it always cultivated the same way - other existing phenotype variants will dissappear, making it harder for the mushroom theoritically to adapt to new substrates - environments...

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2110545 - 11/16/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineMisstressChrissha
Suductress

Loc: Milky Way
    #2110573 - 11/16/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I don't know anyting about this, except I have read that theTC strain does sometimes produce albinos. But I found this discusion to be one of the most interesting one's I have read lately. Please keep us updated on your findings and your theories. I would like to rate this thread a 5 mushrooms. I am anxiuous to read more. Thanks to all posters.

Offlinepooskooper

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: MisstressChrissha]
    #2110617 - 11/16/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Even though it is a mutant, it can be isolated. It must be able to. The albino traits in animals can be isolated. Still you dont always get albinos, but you can certainly put the odds in your favor. If it doesnt drop spores then you can clone it in myc solution, right? Just opinions here, no factual basis for my reply..

--------------------
Somedays, you get lucky enough to deliver someone else's karma.

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: pooskooper]
    #2110648 - 11/16/03 01:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

my theory is that there is something that decides to create the albino shrooms, a chemical reaction in the mycelium, or a "birth defect" or something... and thus... it MUST be possible to recreate the reaction. the problems are just figuring out what exactly trigures the lack of pigment, and then how to recreate it... where do we start?
here are a couple pics of the albino tc.

i should ad that i have no real information on this topic, all of my ideas are simply that, ideas.

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: tuna]
    #2110715 - 11/16/03 01:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i am currently growing a few crops of tc's and am willing to try any ideas anyone has.

--------------------

Invisibletuna
Stranger

#2111316 - 11/16/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

no ideas?

--------------------

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

#2111841 - 11/16/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i was thinking along the same lines as pooskooper, in that cloning it could be an option. even if you could not print it due to it being sterile, you should still be able to clone it right? it is such an interesting mutation surely someone has tried this.

so for those that have enlighten us please.

beautiful pics tuna :smile:

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: jumpship]
    #2111923 - 11/16/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

wish they were mine!

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2112012 - 11/16/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting article! My take:

Usually an albino organism is created by some genetic variation for the production of an amino acid. I know tyrosine is a common one in animals, but I don't know what causes it in the fungi.

This makes sense, then, because one strain might have a higher allelic rate for a trate like this, or it may even be due to transposons in the genome that can bind to that specific sequence.

I don't know if all of them would be sterile, but it's possible if the mutation causes a reduction in the production of an intermediate on a nessecary metabolic pathway. It's also possible that someone used a non-specific mutagenizing factor to increase the rate of genetic mutations which could easily result in insterillity, but I don't know if UV or anything was used....

If it's just carried in the strain, though, I don't know how you would actually promote the mutation without actually knocking out the tyrosine gene or whatever. Of course, there's always chance....

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: micro]
    #2112148 - 11/16/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for chiming in mirco, of course there is chance and if you procured enough of these guys sooner or later you would get one.

what is the ratio of the albinos, does anyone know. i mean how many casings would you need to see one. are they fairly common or a 1 in a 1000 type deal. because if you could just get one and clone it you could have lots of spawn.

this just has me intrigued, going to send off for some TC tomorrow and just have some fun. i searched the advanced forum and could find very little about cloning them although i did learn some interesting facts about the history of the strain.

if anyone knows more about this please let us know.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: jumpship]
    #2112203 - 11/16/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It would be impossible to say what the frequency of albinoism would be without knowing the exact gene(s) involved in producing the mutation and allelic frequency, if it is hereditary. Honestly, the easiest way I can think of besides trial and error, unless someone has experience growing albinos, would be 96-well plates and assay for whatever the gene inhibits. I haven't heard of too many people simply ending up with albinos by chance, though, so it may take many generations. I did see a reference to TC's randomly forming albino substrains, however.

It seems like Fanaticus actually used UV-radiation to induce mutations to create the PF albino race:

http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/7680.html

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Re: albino TC encouragement? [Re: micro]
    #2112349 - 11/16/03 06:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that link is FUCKING AMAZING! that is exactly what i have wanted to know. the black light is coming out tonight!

--------------------

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

#2112505 - 11/16/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that is interesting, although it was not a good thing in the end, at least not for the long term survival of the pf strain. does give a clue in how to mutate a strain, but the TC does that without the UV light. i guess that you might could get more albinos with the UV.

so if you could get an albino in this way or another and if you could get a decent amount of them and clone and grow out, sooner or later you might get a viable substrain. ie. one that does not have the problems of not fruiting and such. even if it was unfertile you could still grow out quite a few from one good clone.

just seems like a really cool thing to work with. most likely it has been worked on already and i would love to know any results that anyone has had. also please correct any flaws in my thinking here, mostly i am just speculating.

and tuna please update how your experiments go.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds