Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegeorgewash
old hand
IP Logging
    #2110448 - 11/16/03 01:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Guys, I posted this in otd in response to a thread, but it got lost in the swamp that is OTD and this is probably a better place for it anyway. Thanks!

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
The servers don't keep long term logs for months or anything. They "log" IP addresses as little as is pactical.
I think as users of the site, since aparently the IP logging policy has changed, we have a right to know what the new policy is. What exactly does "as little as is practical" mean?

Considering the every expanding power of the government, having IP logs sitting around on your server could be rather dangerous for a lot of people here... Many of the people on this site are better off being anonymous.

True you can use proxies to connect to this site, but people who have been around here for a long time remember when the promise was made IP's would not be logged, so I was under the impression that using a proxy was not neccesary and my information was safe.

Also since there is no reason to keep IP's on file (other then banned users) why even put the community at potential risk?

I'm hoping one of the admins can take the time to spell out what exactly is going on here.

g-dub

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: IP Logging [Re: georgewash]
    #2110496 - 11/16/03 02:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

From the Shroomery Privacy statement.

Quote:

IP Logging
The Shroomery server does log IP addresses when you visit a page. This is done for our security and yours. These logs are deleted from the server once a week. IP logging could occur on a specific user's account in the rare case that they abuse policy or are threatening the stability of the site. We reserve the right to log IPs at any time.

--------------------

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: IP Logging [Re: georgewash]
    #2110554 - 11/16/03 02:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

georgewash said:
True you can use proxies to connect to this site, but people who have been around here for a long time remember when the promise was made IP's would not be logged, so I was under the impression that using a proxy was not neccesary and my information was safe.

Apache web server logs have been kept for as long as I can remember. Aphex was keeping web server logs when he handed the site over to Thor and I... Logging helps any website running out there protect itself and it's members.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Offlinegeorgewash
old hand
Re: IP Logging [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #2110558 - 11/16/03 02:39 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Cool thanks for the prompt reply and additional information.

g-dub

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: IP Logging [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #2110613 - 11/16/03 03:00 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Aphex was keeping logs again? I find that hard to believe, since he was the Admin when it was said no logging would be done due to the security issues of this unique community.

Im not saying you are lying. Im just saying it's fucked.

--------------------

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: IP Logging [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2110711 - 11/16/03 03:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

At the time (2+ years ago), we had a shared hosting plan and had a limited amount of harddrive space.  Webserver logs usually get very large due to the amount of traffic, and one day we ran out of space, and I found it was due to the fact that the logs hadn't been deleted in quite a while and were still going on.. 

I really don't see the need for a lot of commotion over it.. Unless you are running a major drug ring and brag about it on the shroomery, you have nothing to worry about.  :alert: 

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback