Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemasterg
Stranger
Loc: CA
Society's perception upon one's drug use
    #2110039 - 11/15/03 10:14 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Hello, folks. Firstly, again, thanks greatly for providing a wonderful site of interesting conversations.

I'm pondering the extent to which people reveal their typically "hidden" lives involving the use of conciousness-latering substances. Recently, I've become more open of my use of moderation among various types of psychadelics to friends or inquisitive minds, solely for explaining the purpose of whic I use various substances: occasional, moderate use of coke, which I personlly believe after quite a lengthy amount of time to be of valuable use if used properly, various psychadelics, particularly tryptamines and phenathylamines, etc. However, I stricly detail the importance of moderation when ever the conversation comes up "at the right time." I attempt, although with failure, despite presenting factual evidence, and simply my own personal, successful life to those that oppose my opinion, yet rarely win over any change in attitude to this "War on Drugs."

However, it seems so few will actually listen to my thoughts, besides those already of like-minded reasoning, that I'm wondering if I should as, I did in the past, simply close off being open of my use of personally sacred elements of life.

So, my question is (sorry for the length of this post): Do you maintain secrecy of your drug usage among only those that do similar "experiments," or remain completely open, during times of reasonable questioning?

Thanks, if any replies are given. Love this community, enjoying my once a week supply of cola, right now, and the question just has been on my mind for a while, so I decided to bring it to one of my favorite forums.

Peace,
masterg

--------------------
Peace,
masterg

Edited by masterg (11/15/03 10:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: masterg]
    #2110062 - 11/15/03 10:28 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I used to, but not anymore.

Today I am very open about my drug use. I may not just come out and tell a person that I'm a "drug user"...but if someone asks I'm not going to lie about it (well maybe to a cop, but I haven't been faced with that yet).

This includes my parents, or at least my mom. My dad knows I use drugs, but we've never actually talked about it. My mom, on the other hand, I talk to all the time about drugs and my drug use. She's even told me a lot of the drugs she used when she was my age. I know I've taught her quite a few things, too. I think my relationship with her is MUCH stonger now that I am able to talk to her about what is, to be honest, a VERY large portion of my life.

Society is still repressing drug use...but acceptance is definately on the rise.

In fact I don't know anyone my age who actually has a "problem" with drug use. Just about everyone is at the very least tolerant of other people's usage.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineStrongBad
pharm lover
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: trendal]
    #2110111 - 11/15/03 10:49 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I lie, but there's only one person I tell about my complete use (a fellow user), and even then I lie sometimes.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: StrongBad]
    #2110237 - 11/15/03 11:44 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I wonder: is the situation there in the USA much different?

Is telling people that you use drugs really still taboo there?

I don't know. Here where I live (Canada) people seem so tolerant of drugs it's crazy.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinemasterg
Stranger
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: trendal]
    #2110292 - 11/16/03 12:21 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
I wonder: is the situation there in the USA much different?

Yeah, differently, mang. From conversations with people from other countries, general society views any moderate using "drug" users with extreme negativity, ableit alcohol and to an extent cigarettes.

Quote:

trendal said:

Yeah, definittely. Both among the younger, middle-aged, and "older" aged citizens of the USA, any form of "drug use" is regarded with the idea that such an individual will become a poor man living within a gutter.

Quote:

trendal said:
I don't know. Here where I live (Canada) people seem so tolerant of drugs it's crazy.

Heh, hopefully. I can't wait to be given the opportunity to relocate to such an area as an economically sufficient area of Canada. Glad you're enjoying it. Still, the USA's government, IMO, provides quite a decent form of supposed democracy. I'm by no means an anarchist, believing it leads to nothing productive, but indeed the US has many issues to work upon, as all countries do.

Peace,
masterg

--------------------
Peace,
masterg

Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #2110929 - 11/16/03 07:27 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

i think the most of us here have the same problems you do when it comes to this subject. our government/media has created this view of "all drugs are bad" and its sad that so may of us in society buy into it so quickly regardless of the real facts....it saddens me that my government can take a plant/mushroom that grows naturaly out of the ground and say its illegal...i wonder what god thinks about this (assuming there is one)...banning his children from partaking in the things he created for us?

anyway...i dont go running around handing out flyers at the bus station telling everyone i smoke weed/eat shrooms...but if someones asks...(like said earlier in this thread, unless its a cop) sure, ill tell them...i kept it from my dad for a long time, until he took a peak in my room while he was over and saw my shroom growing supplies/litterature, then we had a chat about it. first i bitch slapped him around (not literally, but i wanted to) for rootin through my shit....but then i found that he is like most of the others...unwilling to accept that someone could possibly grow for the better with the use of such drugs...*sigh*

my mom on the other hand was way more acceptant (wow, is that even a word? that just doesnt look right to me no matter how i type it....lol, sorry im pretty stoned :grin:) of my use...i was living with her for a while, and she actually let me grow some in her house! how cool is that? after talking with her about what they help me see and accomplish (and to a lesser extent the plain old crazy fun times to be had while under their influence) she got interested and wanted to try them! man, me and mom had one hell of a trip one night, and we are closer now than ever....

anyway, im just rambling now...but ya, it sucks that society has to be so ignorant on these issues 

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: wrestler_az]
    #2111036 - 11/16/03 09:15 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I'm completely open, during times of reasonable questioning.  I wouldn't go up to someone and just say "Hey, i use drugs!" but when a time rises where, maturely, i'm asked about drug use, i'm honest.

As trendal said, Here where I live (Canada) people seem so tolerant of drugs it's crazy. I live in Canada.. so that may be a major reason as to why i'm open about it.

I would have to agree that it must be.. I know Doctors, Lawyers, CEO's, etc. that do drugs.  Many business people.  As long as you don't let the drugs control your life, or interfer with your life and priorities in a bad way, i dont see any reason why doing drugs should be looked down upon.  Both of my parents have done drugs in their past.  I call my dad "The Great Canadian Pothead" :smile: i don't smoke weed but i've sat around with him, his friends AND my friends, while they all smoked. 

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2117214 - 11/17/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

This might sound crazy, but i think alot of Americans have a twisted view of the world as a kind of closed energy system: ie., the mere potential of drug use to diminish one's productive capacity will indirectly degrade the value of the labours of others. And they take it very personally.

As an example, they assume, without sufficient evidence, that a drug user will necessarily produce fewer goods and services at the same wage. This will create inflation, which in turn reduces the value of non-drug-user's paychecks by that amount. From their point-of-view its exactly the same as comitting an act of robbery or vandalism against them for that amount of money. Ive travelled to many different countries and nowhere have i seen this kind of attitude anywhere else.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2118121 - 11/17/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

I believe Emanneul Goldstien and the writers at 2600 said it best when they said something about Refusing to hide what you do when you know its right, because hiding it is just a way of admitting that its wrong.

I refuse to admit that responsible use is wrong, and all the people who consider themselves sane and rational that don't agree with me will just have to deal with that little math problem.

I am, of course, extremely careful and never put myself in a position where I could get busted, or where someone that doesnt like me could use that shit against me.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinemasterg
Stranger
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2118210 - 11/17/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Thanks for the replies. For the most part, my friends are quite acceptive of my responsible, moderate use of various substances. However, the main problem, of course lies with anyone posessing authority, i.e., greatly my parents. Thus, I do not admit any such use, and am forced to lie frequently. Also, I've rarely known any woman willing to acknowledge having a boyfriend who uses any form of a conciousness-altering substance, besides I suppose alcohol. So, I typically lie if asked, to any potential girlfriends. I'm at an age, in which I doubt I will marry any of them, so complete honesty to that extent doesn't seem quite as important as other factors, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Peace,
masterg

--------------------
Peace,
masterg

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide
    #2118378 - 11/17/03 11:14 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

You should definately write a trip report about you and your mom if you haven't already.

Onlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Society's perception upon one's drug use [Re: cherokee]
    #2118391 - 11/17/03 11:18 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

will do.....check for it in "trip tips" in the next few days....its gonna take some time to put it all together in a fassion that is half way understandable :grin: 

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #2118685 - 11/18/03 01:24 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Im almost in your face about drugs. I have a patch that says "thank you for pot smoking" a blunt patch on my pants, and i just talk about it casually and boldly. I really dont get guff .. im not sure if i even really know people that dont do drugs, parents .. and some adults, but im straight up and they're cool. I guess how i carry myself proves any stereotype wrong, especially since im so aware of my diet and other aspects of my life.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #2118774 - 11/18/03 02:30 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

I'm quite selective about revealing my drug usage, but not overly. It's mainly among the people who shouldn't know (for obvious reasons, such as them being my parents and not wanting to have to deal with their shit, and police/authority figures, bosses, teachers, and so on). For all other people who I associate with, I generally don't hide it. If you're hanging around with me, chances are I'll mention drugs, or you'll see me either on them, or partaking. I make no mistake, and don't feel ashamed to do so. Even with potential girlfriends (which is not often, but I don't hide my usage from girls) I don't hide what I do. I'm quite open about it, without being pushy. If people bitch me out about being a drug user, I firmly tell them my stance, and my view, and don't get shitty about it.
All my friends know I do drugs, and they don't have a problem with it. One of my newer friends used to, but I've had many debates with her about my use, and made it very clear about where I stand, and still occasionally have to tell her she's full of shit about certain myths involving drugs (even though she used to do drugs a lot as a young teen, she really doesn't know much really).
Anyways, to wrap it up, with the general peer public, I am not shy to let them know what I do with my life, even if it means being shunned or ridiculed. I've had a LOT of experience with that before I started using drugs, so quite frankly I'm not worried :smirk:
But I always be cautious among people that my drug usage could become a problem, and/or be harmful towards my social/work life. However, I'm quite open to my mother about issues involving drugs, and will debate quite openly about it, but don't tell her that I use drugs regularly. I have mentioned that yes, I have tried pot, and I really enjoyed it, but it's not really any of her business what I get up to on the weekends. She has to trust that I am responsible enough to stay safe (and I am). 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being