Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesdaedalus
pirate

Question About Casing (not remedial.......I think)
    #2109489 - 11/15/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My pet rock will soon spawn his first bulk substrate, and asked me to get the opinion of The Shroomery on a certain matter. He (for simplicity's sake) hopes to rest the substrate and casing directly in one of those large rubbermaids (much like this guy). He also knows that it is best to poke holes in the sides of the container holding the casing (for drainage and to allow CO2 to escape), and that with this type of setup it would not be possible because these holes would expose the sub directly to outside (indoor) air.

Being smarter that your average rock, he has come up with a few solutions, but would like to know if they would be worth the additional trouble and risk of contamination. Firstly, for drainage he thinks it would be best to add about 1" of verm below the substrate. And secondly for the CO2 he would like to pump up the gas exchange in the chamber with a cool mist or similar device to make sure the the CO2 that does make it to the surface is forced out. He told me that there were not many drawbacks to a cool mist but wanted me post the idea to find out if you folks thought that it would be effective and/or sufficient in removing the CO2. If the cool mist is not thought to be sufficient for the CO2 problem, he thought that possibly trying to wedge something such as a series of drinking straws inbetween the casing and the sides of the rubbermaid (my pet rock realises the possible absurdity of this last proposal, but wanted you folks to hear it anyways).

He would also appreciate it if you could comment on the general importance of these two variables (drainage, and escape of CO2 from the substrate) in fruiting, so he can weigh out a decision. I would like to add that I have read material in both the faq's and searched, but find that there is no consensus on this matter. So I have relayed my pet rock's questions on to you.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Question About Casing (not remedial.......I think) [Re: sdaedalus]
    #2109538 - 11/15/03 06:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It depends on how deep the bin is. I only go up to 6" deep -- with that depth you can just cover with saran wrap (my solution to everything) poke a dozen holes and let the spawned straw colonize. Nothing else is needed here.

If it's too deep what you really have to worry about is the inside getting too hot.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinesdaedalus
pirate

Re: Question About Casing (not remedial.......I think) [Re: micro]
    #2109564 - 11/15/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The bin would very deep, approx 20" (that way the lid could just throw on w/o any other provisions, boxes, ect.. But at the same time with only about 6" of sub in the bottom. Like this:

edit: This is essentially the same thing you have? So I should tell Pokey (my pet rock) not to sweat it right?

Edited by sdaedalus (11/15/03 06:47 PM)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2109572 - 11/15/03 06:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

6" of substrate isn't very bad. The only thing is I usually use a 6" deep bin and cover it otherwise more humidity will escape from the straw. If it's covered well it might not be a problem, but I've never done it this way. Maybe someone else?

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinesdaedalus
pirate

Re: Question About Casing (not remedial.......I think) [Re: micro]
    #2109590 - 11/15/03 06:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

There would definately be a tarp with a few holes in it over the substrate, during colinization, to help with humidity, but yeah, not while fruiting. Thanks for your input.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2109628 - 11/15/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

hope you get more luck than me at first try :smile:

.fs.

Offlinesdaedalus
pirate

Re: Question About Casing (not remedial.......I think) [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2111351 - 11/16/03 01:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was sorry to read that fIsh. (un)Fortunately my lanlord will not let me keep a pet. So I should not have that problem.

anyone else have an opinion?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation