Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Don't be negative, JERK!!!
    #2108167 - 11/15/03 02:09 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

hey, you guys ever notice how there are all these weirdos talking about negativity and positivity? Well, it's all bullshit. You cannot use positivity to create positive ripples in the pool that is the universe, and same with negativity.

For example, I could stand up and say "Smoke marijuana, it's a wonderful, beautiful plant and I just want you all to know that you can benefit greatly from its effects!" and there would be some people cheering my statement on cause it's so positive, and then others would think I was satan.

This is why when someone's like "be positive! Let the good vibes flow!" I actually get really bad vibes from them and I feel negative energy.

There is no such thing as a universal good vibe or a universal bad vibe is my point I guess.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2108288 - 11/15/03 03:31 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I think that there are actions and reactions that are with love and there are actions and reactions that are with fear.

I also think people can tell the difference and react (or at least would perfer to react) similarly.

--------------------
i am another you

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: jiva]
    #2108301 - 11/15/03 03:37 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

This is why when someone's like "be positive! Let the good vibes flow!" I actually get really bad vibes from them and I feel negative energy.

The problem lies within yourself, not the person sending out the 'good' vibes. You're the one doing the judgement in this situation, so what you interpret someone's words to mean is just that, what YOU interpret them to mean.

So if its up to you, why not choose to revel in the good vibes, instead of clinging to cynical anger?

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: jiva]
    #2108306 - 11/15/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I think it has more to do with the intent behind the action than what the action actually is. Society can deem anything 'good' or 'bad', that is entirely subjective. But the intent behind an action can certainly be 'good' or 'bad', or helpful or harmful.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: TheDude]
    #2108322 - 11/15/03 03:49 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

i suppose an action could be an intent and the reaction would be the carrying out of that intention ^_^ very good observation though, if intent can't be recognized (and it usually can) then that person who is lying has alot of hard lessons to learn hehehe

--------------------
i am another you

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: chunder]
    #2108580 - 11/15/03 06:59 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

chunder said:
So if its up to you, why not choose to revel in the good vibes, instead of clinging to cynical anger? 

That is exactly the thing. Whatever attitude you take toward life MAKES your life. There is no way in denying this. We don't like when this thing happens, we like when this thing happens. Anytime we are in this situation, we feel this way, and anytime we are in that situation, we feel that way.

The problem isn't the external cirumstances. Its you, man. There is NO WAY AROUND THIS. :evil:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #2108641 - 11/15/03 09:05 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Good point!

As the dude said, It is entirely subjective.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: sirreal]
    #2108647 - 11/15/03 09:15 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

> There is no such thing as a universal good vibe or a universal bad vibe is my point I guess.

I would tend to agree, but something to consider... from where do good vibes and bad vibes come?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: Seuss]
    #2108650 - 11/15/03 09:20 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> There is no such thing as a universal good vibe or a universal bad vibe is my point I guess.

I would tend to agree, but something to consider... from where do good vibes and bad vibes come?

The way we subjectively interpret the signals we recieve. If something happens that makes us feel uncomfortable or threatened in our existence, we call it a "bad vibe". If something makes us feel good, we call it a "good vibe". Pretty simple.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (11/15/03 09:22 AM)

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: sirreal]
    #2109049 - 11/15/03 02:45 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

The problem lies within yourself, not the person sending out the 'good' vibes.

Congratulations, you've said exactly what I expected. Let's say there's a KKK meeting and little Johnny was there, and started to realize that he wasn't into the whole KKK thing. The leader stood up and said "I strung up a black man last night!" Everybody was so happy they all cheered, except for Johnny.

So, Johnny didn't get good vibes from the klan meeting. I guess he should alter his outlook and embrace the goodness instead of "clinging to cynical anger." Correct, Chunder?

I'm saying there is no such thing as a good vibe. Vibes are what we make of them and you can't promote good stuff by putting out good vibes all the time because other people will find those good vibes are actually bad vibes.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #2109114 - 11/15/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Vibes are what we make of them and you can't promote good stuff by putting out good vibes all the time because other people will find those good vibes are actually bad vibes.

First of all, there is a big difference between someone saying "be positive! Let the good vibes flow!" and a KKK speech.

Secondly, in your above statement, you've reiterated exactly what I said. What you get out of a communication is totally subjective. If you get 'bad vibes' from people trying to be positive about life then that is an issue within yourself, as their intention is definitely not to make you angry.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2109136 - 11/15/03 03:23 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Good vibes come from love and care, while bad vibes come from fear, hatred, and ignorance. Therefore, your KKK example is irrelevant because the Klan leader's killing of a black man came from fear, hatred and ignorance.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #2109240 - 11/15/03 04:16 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

good-vibes = pro you
bad-vibes = anti you

The basics of what silversoul and everybody else said. See?

So what we're saying is that there IS such a thing as good vibes, because such vibes (while subject to interpretation) are not without an element of control.

This makes the 'argument of relativity' your defending insufficient. It 's ignoring the fact that 'pro-life = 'good-vibes'' and 'anti-life' = 'bad-vibes'

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: David_Scape]
    #2109407 - 11/15/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Actually, silversoul the klan leader's killing of a black man came from a genuine desire to make the world a better place. You call that fear, hatred, and ignorance? Well, sounds like you should be less full of negative vibes and be more positive. Your statements are irrelevant because they're wrong and miss my point that you are the one interpreting the kkk vibes as negative. If kkk vibes were universally negative there wouldn't be a kkk. Open your mind.

Chunder: that's right, the vibes are what you make of them. You can try to be as positive as ever (like the klan) but some people will feel that it is negative, therefore the idea of putting out friendliness and goodness in an effort to improve other people's moods is flawed. Go up to a girl on the street you've never talked to and smile really big and follow her around and ask her how she's doing and what she's up to, and say "god bless you" a lot with a big smile on your face. I bet you'll creep her out and she'll feel scared because your good vibes are negative to her.

David Scape I don't understand what an element of control is and why that has anything to do with anything. Make more sense.

And guys, stop telling me there's something wrong with how I interpret things. It's very negative because I don't believe you have the right to tell me how to interpret reality.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2109439 - 11/15/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Actually, silversoul the klan leader's killing of a black man came from a genuine desire to make the world a better place.

Actually, if you talk to a lot of those extreme racists, they'll gladly tell you that they're full of hate, and be proud of it. They call it a "perfect hate." They only believe in loving those who are like them, and hating everyone else. How could that possibly be positive?

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2109462 - 11/15/03 05:58 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:Whatever attitude you take toward life MAKES your life. There is no way in denying this. We don't like when this thing happens, we like when this thing happens. Anytime we are in this situation, we feel this way, and anytime we are in that situation, we feel that way.

The problem isn't the external cirumstances. Its you, man. There is NO WAY AROUND THIS. :evil:

Sure there is alot of truth to the "attitude influencing reality" paradigm.  But you have to face reality.

What about people in concentration camps?  POWs?  Their attitude doesn't change anything.  They still get beaten, starved, tortured.  I wonder about you guys who preach how wonderful and perfect life becomes "if you just have a happy attitude", how long you would last in their shoes.   

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: pattern]
    #2109482 - 11/15/03 06:06 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

silversoul: I didn't say anything about them not being full of hate, I said this:

"Actually, silversoul the klan leader's killing of a black man came from a genuine desire to make the world a better place."

which is positive. How can improving the world be negative? We aren't talking about whether or not the klan hates people. It's clear that they do, but you seem to think that's negative, and they think that's positive. Case closed.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2109498 - 11/15/03 06:12 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Well, I explained to you what defines positive vibes(love and care) and negative vibes(hate, fear, and ignorance). Since the Klan leader is spreading hate and not love, then that is inherently negative, regardless of whether or not he thinks he's improving the world.

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: silversoul7]
    #2109507 - 11/15/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I disagree, you can philosophize about the nature of ethics and what not, but when it comes down to basic human interaction, you and I both know how to treat someone "good" and "bad." treating people good makes the world a better place. I try to base my life on that, and I believe in that moreso than anything else.

EDIT: replying to the original poster, not silversoul

--------------------

Edited by Noviseer (11/15/03 06:17 PM)

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Don't be negative, JERK!!! [Re: silversoul7]
    #2109515 - 11/15/03 06:20 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

"that is inherently negative"

You should open your mind. You have this silly idea that what you believe is negative is what all people on the planet believe is negative. There are more opinions out there, a wider spectrum of beliefs than only yours. There is no such thing as anything inherently negative unless you twist the word's meaning to suit your needs. Go home, you've lost, you haven't made your point, admit you're wrong, and go home.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology