Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
cross germination of strains
    #2107017 - 11/14/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hey fellers,
psilocybe cubensis is 1 species but it contains lots of different strains. does that mean that they will cross germinate? so, one could possibly have a tazmanian-penis envy for example?
~M

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: mattch1]
    #2107033 - 11/14/03 04:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2107417 - 11/14/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i swear i remember some one telling me when i birth my cakes to keep eash strain seperate cause it could screw up the strain or the potency. in the next prints i take you.
find mm from micron magik i think he has some info on this subject back a like a year ago i remember him saying something about this subject

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Re: cross germination of strains [Re: white_rabbit]
    #2108053 - 11/14/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, innoculating 2 seperate strains into the same cake would give way to a scenario like tremor said, one would probably grow faster than the other and take over. Im talking about 1 spore from each strain combining to produce a zygote. The definition of a species is that the 2 individuals can mate and produce FERTILE offspring. If all the different strains of psilocybe cubensis are of the same species, that means that they could mate (ie, 1 spore from each strain could hook up and germinate) and produce fertile offspring. If this is the case, the only difference between the different strains is that they look different. anyway, tell me what you think,
Matt

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: cross germination of strains [Re: mattch1]
    #2108070 - 11/14/03 11:10 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

they cannot mate because of the biological differences of the strains. Just because they are the same species does not neccesarily mean they could mate, i.e. a great dane and a dachshund. It's just not physically possible. They is a lot of information in regards to this in the advanced forum. Do a search for mating spores I think.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: thisone]
    #2108208 - 11/15/03 12:49 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i believe it is possible in the face of everything people tell me.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: thisone]
    #2108211 - 11/15/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you want to know a little fact...

When you inoculate a substrate with mushroom spores what happens is the bacteria from the spores start to grow, and combat any other bacteria that might be present. Usually, if sterylized properly, any of the surviving contam's/bacteria's and such will be killed by the mycelium, because it it much stronger. When the mycelium. forms on the cake, usually it means it has won the battle, and again, provided proper sterylization tek's were used, the mycelium should cover the entire cake.

If you were to inocculate 1 jar with say Gulf Coast (P.Cubensis) and Equador (P.Cubensis)both of the strains of mycelium will at first(i assume) destroy all bacteria present, then the two strains will fight for the neutrients of the cake, until one species wins. This all will happen on a microscopic level. If you inocculate 1 jar with 2 different strains, when you see mycelium growth it will be that of the winning strain, the other strain will have been killed off. The way the mycelial network works, it is impossible for 2 different mushroom species to grow on the same substrate. However this is not nessecarily true for all mushrooms, in the wild atleast. A poisionus species of mushrooms can grow, right in the same spot, mixed in with a P.cubensis strain of mushroom, which is why you must be very careful when hunting mushrooms in the wild.

If your looking to make a hybrid strain, you might want to send yourself off to university for a few years and master the art of genetics, then go make a bunch of money, and buy genetic manipulation equiptment, and then you can start cross breading spores... either that or find a tek that tells you how to do it.. Maybe you could try making a spore serynge out of 2 different strains and inoculating a cake with it, when the cake colonizes, inject some more, and keep doing it then see what happens.. you never know, you might inadvertently create the right conditions to do this.. but chances are.... nah, unless your a genetic scientist or something.. but if you find something let us all know :smile:

FYI: B+ strain P.cubensis is a hybrid created by a human out of two different strains... So it is possible...

Sorry for the long posts peeps...

Peace

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #2108256 - 11/15/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The_LosT_SouL said:

When you inoculate a substrate with mushroom spores what happens is the bacteria from the spores start to grow, and combat any other bacteria that might be present.

bacteria doesnt grow from spores

Quote:

Usually, if sterylized properly, any of the surviving contam's/bacteria's and such will be killed by the mycelium, because it it much stronger.

if your substrate was sterilized properly, there is no surviving contams. if there are, the reason the mycelia takes over is because it is faster, not because it is stronger. once it has the foothold on the substrate, it has a natural quarentine method of containing any competetor breakouts.

Quote:

If you were to inocculate 1 jar with say Gulf Coast (P.Cubensis) and Equador (P.Cubensis)both of the strains of mycelium will at first(i assume) destroy all bacteria present,

that is incorrect

Quote:

then the two strains will fight for the neutrients of the cake, until one species wins. This all will happen on a microscopic level. If you inocculate 1 jar with 2 different strains, when you see mycelium growth it will be that of the winning strain,

the way i would try to mate spores of the same species, but different strains, would be to take very little of each print and put them in the same syringe, that way you have a highly diluted syringe. the logic behind this is that you want to keep from having many spore of the same print together to mate. then i would inoculate many agar dishes so to give as many spores a chance to mate as possible. then, i would transfer as many substrains as possible to other dishes until i get lots of isolates. i would grow those out. if you are using 2 strains that are very different in appearences, you will have a better chance of identifying new hybrids.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: automan]
    #2108318 - 11/15/03 01:46 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Are there any agar plate teks?

And hey automan, thanks for your input, i was just filling in what i didn't know with an educated guess..

Thanks for the correction :smile:

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #2108320 - 11/15/03 01:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe I should also learn to word my posts a little better so that I make sence eh? Canada has many delicious mushrooms. Come help take over the world by joining the canadian armed forces. Canada will have the world in 2025 at hour 14 on day 6..lol jk

--------------------

Anonymous

#2109821 - 11/15/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yes they will.

Germinate single spores from each strain seperately. Mate the monokaryons(uninucleate mycelium) growing from the single spores, with monokaryons from the other strains.

You want to dilute the spores seperately not together.

Monokaryons of strain GT mated with monokaryons of strain TC. Form hybrid dikaryons between the two strains.

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Re: cross germination of strains [Re: ]
    #2112287 - 11/16/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Teonan,
thats what i was wondering. obviously The lost soul has no idea what he's talking about. I was just planning on taking a spore from each strain and putting them next to eachother under a microscope and hoping for the best. Ill post back with my results.
~M

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2112637 - 11/16/03 07:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What do you mean by putting them next to each other under a microscope? Are you actually going to try and work with the individual spores under a dissection microscope or something? That would require some real dexterity....

It might be easier to just dilute them a lot, ten-fold each time, and take the plate that germinates after a while with the highest dilution and hope you have a monokaryote. You could always stain and make sure no clamp connections are present.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: cross germination of strains [Re: micro]
    #2118863 - 11/18/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I thought you guys were talking about innoculating a cake with two different strains and having them mate. Maybe people should preveiw their posts and make sence and not confuse me

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder