Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!!
    #2107581 - 11/14/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I just visited the site:
www.mycomasters.com .

Dr.Rush is claiming he invented a new way to grow mushrooms with peroxide.. There is a couple of poor topics on the subject but nobody went far enough...  The whole point of his technique isn't to use peroxide for agar, but to use it for any substrate..

He says he has a way to sterilise substrate like Straw without any heat. that means he sterilise his substrate with peroxide. It would make sense to me, has we already know that mycelium decompose peroxide in Water and Oxygen.

But i'd like to know if anybody tried that tek or if anybody bought the book ??
Is there's a good way to sterilise Straw without heating, ohhh i want a know how to do !!!  :laugh: 

--------------------
The world becomes a smile !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2107672 - 11/14/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I believe he uses it to pasteurize the straw, not sterilize it.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2107673 - 11/14/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This is old news.

I have used peroxide in agar, in grain, and as a protectant on my casings for a while now. I believe Dr. Wayne has been using this since the early 90's at least. That is how I first learned about it.

It works very well!!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2107691 - 11/14/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have bought the book and it's the best 30 dollars i spent.I generally use it in the summer when mold spore load is highest,but it will cut the contams when nothin else works.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: shroomophile]
    #2107829 - 11/14/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think it's mostly overhyped. The only thing I'd ever use it for is agar and grain. At that I'd only use it on agar used with cultures known to be dirty or for cloning. I'd only use peroxide on grains if doing G2G transfers without the aide of a flow hood.

In my opinion everything else in the book is either geared toward woodlovers or less effective than "traditional" methods. I say "traditional" to refer to our methods, not the methods of traditional cultivators such as stamets and chilton.

Being of such opinion, I didn't think the books were worth the money. I used to share my copies of the manuals until Mr. Wayne contacted me and asked me to stop publicly offering them to everyone. He was very polite. Since then, the manuals are widely available on the internet. I still encourage everyone to send him the money if you think the books are worth it. I would even encourage you to send him at least a few bucks if you think it's a little worth it. IMO the general, agar and grain sections are worth $5 to $10.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2107882 - 11/14/03 09:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i bought the book and found it rather a waste.. not quite worth 30 bucks for both. i mean, 30 bucks just to know the ratio of peroxide to other stuff........

the rest of the booklets ( actually, its more of a packet in laminated plastic, and he uses size 14-16 font or so ) just sort of talk about everything over and over..

edit:
Also consider that you can get stamets GGMM and er.. the other stamets book each for that price tag..

double edit:
both of which are much better than the peroxide manual, which IS a bit useful nonetheless- extra security

Edited by Morrowind (11/14/03 10:01 PM)

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: mycofile]
    #2108617 - 11/15/03 06:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Peroxide is a neccesity for anyone wanting to do agar, but not wanting to go to the trouble and expense of buying or building a flow hood, or glove box.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2109699 - 11/15/03 05:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So nobody here tried to pasteurize straw/dung with peroxide without heating it ??
Because it seems to me a very good way to eliminate all the shit and troubles of heating..

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2109900 - 11/15/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

?
i dont quite see how that would work... Dung is full of great bacteria and stuff that you actually WANT.. when heating the dung, you help get rid of alot of annoying contams, while the other stuff survives.. As you usually use dry dung, i assume that the bacteria comes from some endospores in the dung, which would be heat resistent up to a certain point.

For the same reason you dont pressure cook dung, you wouldn't "pasteurize" ( ... cant think of a better word, so this wrong one will have to do ) it with peroxide

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2109913 - 11/15/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Most material must be heat treated to rid it of peroxide decomposing enzymes before you can use H2O2.IMO this method is not feasible for straw/dung mixes.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: shroomophile]
    #2110096 - 11/15/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i see
So the claim: Growing mushroom, the easy way ... is bullshit !!
haha !!
I mean the use of peroxide is good for grain and agar as we already know, but not necessary and not that much easier ..
And it doesn't work for dung ..
Then i'd rather stay with the good traditionnal way, which always work !! :laugh:

however, maybe it could be possible with just Straw, for making straw log per example..  I'm not a big fan of the Straw log, but i guess if Wayne's tek works for straw, it'd be a good way to do it...

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2110180 - 11/15/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Driving in cars is not necessary, but a hell of a lot easier than walking in most cases. The advantage of using peroxide is that one can work in non-sterile conditions and have great results. I like to use peroxide, it has helped me out greatly.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dr Rush Wayne's Peroxide sterilisation process .. !!! [Re: Joshua]
    #2116596 - 11/17/03 01:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with all of ya'll. Peroxide did help me a good bit. But only in grains and agar. On the other hand, I think the rest of the book is more hype than help.

Quote:

Most material must be heat treated to rid it of peroxide decomposing enzymes before you can use H2O2.IMO this method is not feasible for straw/dung mixes.

Yes wayne has a method of treating straw (volume 2) without heat. He uses peroxide of a higher concentration which apparently gets around the problem of peroxidase. It works ok, but requires lots of high concentration peroxide (expensive) and he uses lime to raise the pH of the water, which I think is cheating. Since we all know that lime alone can be used to pasteurize straw, why bother with peroxide? It's like stone soup. You can make soup out of rocks if you add carrotts and tomatoes and beans and vegetable stock. If I put a magic eye of newt in a pressure cooker with some grain, would it be the pressure cooker or the eye of newt that sterilizes the grain?

Quote:

And it doesn't work for dung ..

You can work out the past of dung with the info in the books, although he doesn't spell it out explicity himself. Again, I see no benefit to it, and it's more trouble and less effective than other methods. Why bother.

Quote:

So the claim: Growing mushroom, the easy way ... is bullshit !!

Yeah, it should be agar and grain culture the easy way!

infinite adam:
Quote:

Because it seems to me a very good way to eliminate all the shit and troubles of heating..

Personally, I found the best way to get around the troubles of heating was my method I just outlined which relies on your hotwater heater rather than a direct heat stove. Just to float my own boath, check it out IN THIS THREAD
If you want to avoid heat altogether, there are lime bath methods which are pretty effective, and there are some bleach methods that apparently work well. Some people use both. They never caught on here, but are pretty popular at mycotopia. I think both of these are more effective and easier than waynes peroxide method, but I still like heat and found it easy enough to use with the hotwater heater.

BTW, anybody interested in specifics from the manuals, PM me.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract