Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #21071475 - 01/05/15 02:15 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
303 trillion dollars of federal liability.  :lolsy:

I guess you're not familiar with the derivatives market?  There was a link explaining this in the zero hedge article.

The total GDP is only $17T  Those particular zerohedge contributors are alarmist lunatics.
Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
If there is a pay for play scheme how come they never get busted?  How come Wall Street contributes to both sides of an election most of the time?

Pay for play is not illegal to my knowledge.  And both sides are guilty of cronyism, duh.

Pay for play most certainly is illegal.  That has nothing to do with cronyism.  You are just all over the place with non sequiturs today.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21072323 - 01/05/15 05:26 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I guess you're not familiar with the derivatives market?  There was a link explaining this in the zero hedge article.

The total GDP is only $17T  Those particular zerohedge contributors are alarmist lunatics.

Confirmed - you're NOT familiar with the derivatives market.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Pay for play most certainly is illegal.  That has nothing to do with cronyism.  You are just all over the place with non sequiturs today.

So if I'm a large corporation, say Chevron, and I give $2.5 million to the Chevron Policy Government & Public Affairs Super PAC to make campaign contributions so that Chevron wins billions in Government contracts, you're saying that's illegal???

Such pay to play has everything to do with cronyism.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #21072335 - 01/05/15 05:28 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

It's illegal for PACs to make million dollar campaign contributions.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21072441 - 01/05/15 05:45 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
303 trillion dollars of federal liability.  :lolsy:

The author of the piece, the psedonymous Tyler Durden, twice cites himself as the authority.  This isn't the first time I've come across this guy and he is pretty much a completely full of shit alarmist whackjob.  He won't even put his own name on his column.  Yeah, I'll accept him as an authourity

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: Enlil]
    #21072621 - 01/05/15 06:14 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

I'm sure you've got me on a technicality.  Why don't you explain Chevron's $2.5 million Republican Super PAC contribution.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How Many Of You Are Happy About Obama Going Around Congress? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21072629 - 01/05/15 06:15 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
The author of the piece, the psedonymous Tyler Durden, twice cites himself as the authority.  This isn't the first time I've come across this guy and he is pretty much a completely full of shit alarmist whackjob.  He won't even put his own name on his column.  Yeah, I'll accept him as an authourity

Then read up on it from someone else.  Do you want me to help?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #21072642 - 01/05/15 06:17 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

I'm sure you've got me on a technicality.  Why don't you explain Chevron's $2.5 million Republican Super PAC contribution.

They can contribute to PACs, sure, but not to campaigns.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21072658 - 01/05/15 06:21 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Then read up on it from someone else.  Do you want me to help?

Yes please.  Before you go to the trouble how much was the taxpayer on the hook for in the TARP so-called bailout?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21072663 - 01/05/15 06:22 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

What Republican Super PAC was that?

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21074807 - 01/05/15 11:34 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Before you go to the trouble how much was the taxpayer on the hook for in the TARP so-called bailout?

Initially it was $700 billion, though we got most of it back thanks to TARP and the FED.  One of the big reasons for the bailout was to cover derivatives losses.

There are now approximately $303 trillion dollars in derivatives on the US market.  Since Glass Steagal was repealed, banks have now gotten into the derivatives market.  If they lose their money on derivatives, they'll take everyone, including Main St, down with them, unless there is another Government bailout to cover the losses.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21074830 - 01/05/15 11:36 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

What Republican Super PAC was that?

The Congressional Leadership Fund.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21076170 - 01/06/15 09:51 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Before you go to the trouble how much was the taxpayer on the hook for in the TARP so-called bailout?

Initially it was $700 billion, though we got most of it back thanks to TARP and the FED.  One of the big reasons for the bailout was to cover derivatives losses.

Nope.  We got all of it back from the banks and then some and no losses were covered by the taxpayer.  The auto unions, however, cost the taxpayer quite a bit.  Wall Street lost money on bank bailouts and the government made money.  Not only that but I don't think there was ever any money actually moved.
Quote:

There are now approximately $303 trillion dollars in derivatives on the US market.  Since Glass Steagal was repealed, banks have now gotten into the derivatives market.  If they lose their money on derivatives, they'll take everyone, including Main St, down with them, unless there is another Government bailout to cover the losses.

Right.  You aren't scared enough

http://investmentwatchblog.com/global-derivatives-market-has-lost-a-staggering-300-trillion-441-trillion-has-been-bet-on-the-movement-of-interest-rates-the-total-derivative-exposure-is-1-5-quadrillion-and-climbing/

Quote:

GLOBAL Derivatives Market Has LOST A STAGGERING $300 TRILLION… $441 TRILLION Has Been Bet On The Movement of Interest Rates… The Total Derivative Exposure Is 1.5 Quadrillion And Climbing!!!

You are an amateur alarmist.  Go big or go home.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21076482 - 01/06/15 10:57 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You aren't scared enough

http://investmentwatchblog.com/global-derivatives-market-has-lost-a-staggering-300-trillion-441-trillion-has-been-bet-on-the-movement-of-interest-rates-the-total-derivative-exposure-is-1-5-quadrillion-and-climbing/

Quote:

$441 TRILLION Has Been Bet On The Movement of Interest Rates… The Total Derivative Exposure Is 1.5 Quadrillion And Climbing!!!

You are an amateur alarmist.  Go big or go home.

That's part of the global total.  Some of that was already counted in the US total.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21076808 - 01/06/15 12:05 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

:flowstone:

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21077086 - 01/06/15 01:20 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Let me ask you this:  Do you believe there are roughly $600+ trillion in derivatives on the market right now?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21077411 - 01/06/15 02:25 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

World GDP is only around 80T

So now it is 600T.  Before it was 300T.  Some other nutcase says it is 1.5 quadrillion.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21077448 - 01/06/15 02:35 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

You still don't get derivatives.

As a made up example (real prices may vary), I can buy a derivative for $100 that will pay me $2000 if interest rates go above a certain level by a certain time.  Insurance companies (now banks) sell these derivatives because they're pretty sure that won't happen, and they make a lot of money for selling them (and get paid lots of commission/bonuses).  If it does happen, they'll have already pocketed hefty bonuses for selling them, but they won't have enough to cover their losses (unregulated derivatives don't have to be backed with collateral), they'll just go bankrupt and take everyone else down with them that they do business with.  You're right in that THAT KIND OF MONEY DOESN'T EXIST.

--------------------

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (01/06/15 02:43 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21077479 - 01/06/15 02:42 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

And a meteor could land on your head and little green men walk out of it and eat your eardrums.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21077550 - 01/06/15 02:57 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
And a meteor could land on your head and little green men walk out of it and eat your eardrums.

That's what AIG said when they sold mortgage derivatives.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#21077589 - 01/06/15 03:05 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

That's what AIG said when they sold mortgage derivatives.

Tell me what is going on with AIG today?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]