Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Poker Player

Loc: North America
Help Needed..
    #2106201 - 11/14/03 02:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hi I have some questions that need answers, couldn't find the info anywhere else :frown:

1st of all, what are the chances that I will be successful with some of my jars on my first ever attempt at growing shrooms if I follow the guide carefully and really use my head?

2nd, what is the most common error people make when cultivating their own mushrooms? Is it contamination, not keeping things clean, etc...

And 3rd, how much dried weight do you estimate I can pull in every flush if I use my whole closet space which is about one meter wide and 4-5 meters long.

Thanks for reading, TrauM.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practise to deceive..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Children of theVortex

Loc: Inside My Mind
Re: Help Needed.. [Re: TrauM]
    #2106233 - 11/14/03 02:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1= 100%

2= contamination

3= imposible to know...

bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Help Needed.. [Re: diacamomo]
    #2106246 - 11/14/03 02:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Don't fuck around with your jars a lot while they're colonizing, and keep them in still air, and clean your closet, first.

Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Underpants Gnome

Re: Help Needed.. [Re: TrauM]
    #2106320 - 11/14/03 02:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1. If you follow the Teks you'll be sucessfull. Most errors come during the sterilization process. Using a presure cooker will yeild better results, but if you can't get your hands on a PC, placing your jars in boiling water for 90 minutes will work just as well if you are carefull. When using the boiling method I typically see people making these mistake. 1. Not boiling long enough. 2. Boiling too long, and baking the substrate resulting in moisture loss. 3. Water seeps into the jars due to poor covering of the lid leading to over saturation.

Remember this too: Which ever method you use, be sure to let the jars cool long enough. It's important that you let the jars reach room temp before innoculation of the spores. A lot of people like the wait a whole day before they inject spores.

2. Humidity and temp are fairly easy to moderate and maintain, so this shouldn't be a problem for you as long as you have a vialable terrarium. Fanning out excess CO2 manually or with some other method you contrive is important. The fungus needs oxygen to grow. A by product of the fungus is CO2 which in turn stagnates the air. Mold loves stagnate air! Fan out at least once a day but 3-4 times is optimal.

Try not to handle your jars while they are colonizing. I know it's neat to look at, but handling you jars too much might introduce unwanted contams to your cake and will also expose the subtrate to light which might result in prmature pinning. If you really want to check up on your cakes progess, take a quick peak and replace. While you are checking out your cakes, keep a look out for anything that looks out of the ordinary. If you have any doubts if it might be a contam throw it out. If you have a digital camera, take a pic of it and show it to the people at the contam fourm. They will be able to help you in your assesment.

A lot of people get anxious and birth their cakes prematurly. No matter how excited you become, just be patient. Birthing a cake too soon is bad news. Any naked substrate is sure to become prey to contams. Even if the exterrior of the cake is completely covered by the fungus, you might want to wait a few extra days to be sure the fugus has had time to colonate the interrior of the cake.

As always, keep things clean. If you you use perlite to humidify your terrarium, make sure you dump it out every week or two, clean the whole terrium and then replace with new perlite. Try not to handle you cakes. Or if you are making a casing, try not to touch it. When and if I do have to touch my cake/casing. I make sure I scrub my hands well and wear latex gloves.

3. It's hard to say how much your crop will yeild. Will you be using cakes or casings? If you make make several casings and line your closet with them and assuming all goes well, you're going to have a pretty nice bounty.

A friend of a friend recently had 50 cakes growing over the summer and was able to produce 5 1/2 ounzes dried. I know that really doesn't give you an idea of how much you'll be able to produce but perhaps it'll provide of a scope of things to come.

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Male User Gallery

Re: Help Needed.. [Re: djd586]
    #2106910 - 11/14/03 05:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

50 cakes=50 ounces DRY?

thats quite a grow...I'd like to know the details.

Re: Help Needed.. [Re: simplemachine]
    #2107113 - 11/14/03 06:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

5 and 1/2 ounces he said not 50

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation