Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory * 1
    #21053291 - 01/01/15 05:32 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

There is a strange phenomenon I have come across in which people incur some form of a head injury and it unleashes some new skill or ability, perhaps it is not a new skill but instead a very old one, so old it is from a previous life. The metaphysical position that is Idealism asserts that consciousness is fundamental to reality, it is the ground of existence and the real cause of the physical "matter" of which we experience. According to Idealism the brain is seen from a different perspective than the materialist position, it is not an creator of consciousness but is instead a sort of instrument of it, it is a tool that the consciousness utilizes in order to experience the world and itself, it organizes thought and experience and is an apparatus of the senses.

There is some evidence to support this viewpoint, here are a few very interesting cases.

"When Derek Amato crashed headfirst into the hard bottom of a pool, he was scared about what he might have done to his brain. But amazingly the fallout from that accident wasn’t all bad. Along with the headaches and other post-concussion symptoms, the accident brought Amato an unexpected gift: it turned him into a musical savant.

Although Amato had always loved music, he’d never been serious about playing any instrument before the head injury. Amato dabbled a bit with guitar before the accident but described his musical ability to TODAY as “on a scale of 1 to 10 . . . like a 2.5, close to 3.”

Amato now plays the piano like a virtuoso, making up melodies from the patterns of black and white blocks that stream across his brain in endless succession. He’s cut an album of original compositions and is currently at work on another."

The next two cases are people whom gain the ability to speak a language they had previously never been able to speak.

That man awake from a coma speaking mandarin, not only did he speak mandarin but it became is his first language and he was UNABLE To speak English.

Another case in which the man gets in a car accident and wakes up speaking perfect french.

I believe this to be evidence of reincarnation, it is simply the best explanation for the phenomenon. How else do you explain this phenomenon? The typical materialist scientific explanation is acquired savant syndrome but I do not find this very logical. It seems like a blind appeal to the "powers of the brain". How could rewiring of the brain make it possible for someone to instantly become a master piano player? There is only one way to learn to play the piano and that is through actual EXPERIENCE it is necessary to learn through doing, it is simply not logical to believe that someone can automatically know how to do something that takes practice and experience.

According to the spiritual master Meher Baba the brain actually prevents us from remembering our past lives, he states,

"When the soul changes its physical body it gets a new brain, and its normal waking consciousness functions in close association with the brain processes. Under ordinary circumstances, only the memories of the present life can appear in consciousness because the new brain acts as a hindrance to the release of the memories of those experiences which had to be gathered through the medium of other brains in past lives."

This phenomenon supports what Meher Baba states and is evidence for it. If the brain is a filter of consciousness than damaging it would change how it operates and disrupt its ability to filter out past life memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoglossy

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMental Taco
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hell
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero] * 2
    #21053428 - 01/01/15 06:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

no

--------------------
Did you not know that the royal hunting grounds are always forbidden?

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Mental Taco]
    #21053531 - 01/01/15 06:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

No as in you got no argument? your response is typical and to it suggests to me that this is just too much for you to really think about.. the whole idea of it is just too much you can't even face it or think about it and just look away. Your not a truth seeker and your not open minded to possibilities and your input of a blunt "no" is meaningless.

--------------------

Offlinejsncrs
DYEL

Loc: Mars
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero]
    #21053588 - 01/01/15 06:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting read
Anything is possible :shrug:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero] * 2
    #21053612 - 01/01/15 06:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

so do we have to watch the videos, or is there some non-anecdotal record that we can read which corroborates the claims.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero]
    #21053638 - 01/01/15 06:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The guy who took Mandarin classes wakes from a coma speaking Mandarin, the post coma French speaker took French classes. I'm going to guess the Croatian took some German. The post coma musician like to play guitar pre coma. Clearly something interesting is going on, but it's a big stretch to suggest reincarnation.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Rahz]
    #21053757 - 01/01/15 07:23 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I am aware of that the one man took Mandarin classes and he also visited China. The English man who was able to speak French took French in high school grade nine, this is nothing like being fluent in the language not even close. So what about the man who became an expert pianist? Is it because hes heard the piano before? Mandarin is a very difficult language to learn and it is radically different from latin languages. I do not think it is possible that his brain someone figured out the language on its own simply from hearing it, language is a code and the brain is an unconscious organ, language can only be learned through conscious knowledge.

I believe he was subconsciously drawn to learn mandarin because of his past life connection.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero] * 1
    #21054049 - 01/01/15 08:20 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't believe anything about it one way or the other, it's just curious that they generally have some connection to the phenomena. The guy who played guitar, perhaps his episode triggered a novel expression of thought that included being naturally inclined at playing piano, though as he said he loved music and wanted to be good. The mandarin speaker took classes, the French speaker took classes. Something happened but I think you're ruling out all unknown causes in favor of a known but faulty idea.

--------------------
rahz

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: soldatheero] * 1
    #21055008 - 01/02/15 12:52 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
No as in you got no argument? your response is typical and to it suggests to me that this is just too much for you to really think about.. the whole idea of it is just too much you can't even face it or think about it and just look away. Your not a truth seeker and your not open minded to possibilities and your input of a blunt "no" is meaningless.

Kudos for being courageous enough to think about this subject.  I know it must be incredibly difficult, but your sacrifice in mulling this over and posting a bunch of youtube "evidence" is truly a gift for the generations.  Because of your selfless actions we now stand at the threshold of a new awareness.
God speed to you.

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: johnm214]
    #21055018 - 01/02/15 12:58 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

soldatheero said:

Kudos for being courageous enough to think about this subject.  I know it must be incredibly difficult, but your sacrifice in mulling this over and posting a bunch of youtube "evidence" is truely a gift for the generations.  Because of your selfless actions we now stand at the vista of a new awareness.
God speed to you.

"This forum is for intelligent discussion, not for belittling someone who holds differing opinions. This rule will be strictly enforced." - forum rules

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: viktor]
    #21055027 - 01/02/15 01:04 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, but I decided to give him a pass.  He did make the conversation personal by making negative comments regarding the user's person, but I figured they were minor enough to let slide given they were likely made out of frustration.

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: johnm214] * 3
    #21055072 - 01/02/15 01:37 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I guess irony still hasn't caught on in America.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: johnm214] * 1
    #21055663 - 01/02/15 08:39 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Thanks, but I decided to give him a pass.  He did make the conversation personal by making negative comments regarding the user's person, but I figured they were minor enough to let slide given they were likely made out of frustration.

:haha:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Icelander]
    #21056275 - 01/02/15 11:11 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

A moderator Christmas present! :cookiemonster:

I think the OP should test his hypothesis by self-administering a whack to the head. Perhaps each whack sends one back exactly one life. A thousand whacks could solve the riddle of who we actually are by returning us to The Source.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #21056939 - 01/02/15 02:48 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

viktor said:

No, that was just my way of saying gtfo :smile2:

Back on topic please- take it somewhere else if you want to argue the point.

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #21057482 - 01/02/15 05:08 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

viktor said:

No, that was just my way of saying gtfo :smile2:

Back on topic please- take it somewhere else if you want to argue the point.

Quote:

viktor said:

Offlineedos
Male

#21057518 - 01/02/15 05:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't really see this as evidence for reincarnation. It seems like all of these people had slight exposure to the skills they suddenly acquired from brain injury, which is really amazing, but not evidence of reincarnation. As far as the lady with the Chinese accent goes...pretty much everyone has been exposed to stereotypical foreign accents at some point.

There is probably going to be some awesome brain modification technology in the future that allows people to be completely proficient in skills they have only had slight exposure to.

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
    #21057526 - 01/02/15 05:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
I don't believe anything about it one way or the other, it's just curious that they generally have some connection to the phenomena. The guy who played guitar, perhaps his episode triggered a novel expression of thought that included being naturally inclined at playing piano, though as he said he loved music and wanted to be good. The mandarin speaker took classes, the French speaker took classes. Something happened but I think you're ruling out all unknown causes in favor of a known but faulty idea.

I am just curious, what is faulty about the idea?  I really can't say one way or another because I can't offer hard evidence. However, the majority of the world does believe in some form of an afterlife. At least reincarnation might put a cap on the total number of individual consciousnesses. As apposed to an afterlife for each personality. :shrug:

I would like to add though. Suppose those people took classes in French, Mandarin, etc. because they had a predisposition for taking it. Maybe they took those classes unconsciously because they spoke it in a previous life. Some food for thought.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: 4HO-DMT]
    #21057663 - 01/02/15 05:47 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

However, the majority of the world does believe in some form of an afterlife.

Fact by consensus? Fortunately science does not work this way.

The OP came up with a hypothesis, but showed no causal link nor proposed anyway to test it.

Dead end.

--------------------

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #21057723 - 01/02/15 06:03 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fact by consensus? Fortunately science does not work this way.

I don't disagree. That doesn't answer my question though.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#21057810 - 01/02/15 06:26 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

You guys should check out the film, I Origins. It's about scientific proof of reincarnation. The premise is silly but it's worth viewing.

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Middleman]
    #21057854 - 01/02/15 06:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Middleman] * 1
    #21058499 - 01/02/15 09:41 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You guys should check out the film, I Origins. It's about scientific proof of reincarnation.

Not even close. If there was proof there would be no debate.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #21058510 - 01/02/15 09:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

It's a movie about fictional proof, wise guy.

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

#21058529 - 01/02/15 09:51 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
...If there was proof there would be no debate.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your take on the subject? :peace:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: 4HO-DMT] * 1
    #21058862 - 01/02/15 11:25 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

No verifiable evidence = no reason to give the premise any credence whatsoever. Fun stories are not evidence.

Here is the deal: most reincarnation believers will tell you your next life depends on karma you picked up in a previous life and that lower life forms lead progress to higher life forms.

So apparently it is possible (according to the non-thinkers) that a 'good' bacteria can come back as an amoeba and a good amoeba can come back as an insect (and so on) or some such nonsense even though no one can clearly delineate what actions are good or bad nor demonstrate free will.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Middleman] * 1
    #21058903 - 01/02/15 11:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rev. Morton said:
It's a movie about fictional proof, wise guy.

Argument by attempting to make others research your silliness is not debate. How long have you been here?

--------------------

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

#21058993 - 01/03/15 12:02 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
No verifiable evidence = no reason to give the premise any credence whatsoever. Fun stories are not evidence.

Here is the deal: most reincarnation believers will tell you your next life depends on karma you picked up in a previous life and that lower life forms lead progress to higher life forms.

So apparently it is possible (according to the non-thinkers) that a 'good' bacteria can come back as an amoeba and a good amoeba can come back as an insect (and so on) or some such nonsense even though no one can clearly delineate what actions are good or bad nor demonstrate free will.

Fair enough. I never said anything about karma. It's a nice idea, but my experience has been that good people get trampled most of the time. I still try my best to be good though. But, I do not rely on karma.

For several years, I was an atheist. However, recently I discovered that I am too curious to leave it at that. I like to poke and prod at the unknown. After all, 1000 theories might lead to 1 advancement in our understanding of the unknown. The other 999 (or more) get discarded, but you just never know when you might be on to something.

I think a good place to start are the principals of physics. With that in mind, I think that reincarnation (without karma) is the closest model to satisfying those cannons. I'm probably wrong and will likely have discarded the idea by this time next year. But, you never know...

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: 4HO-DMT] * 1
    #21059003 - 01/03/15 12:05 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I am just curious, what is faulty about the idea?

It requires belief because there is no proof or even a reasonable line of logic to support it. I think the idea of reincarnation is DA avoidance, same as the afterlife in Christianity.

Why would there be a cap on individual consciousnesses? How many believers does it take to constitute the truth? Maybe something happened as you suggest, but what evidence is there? It's just a supposition isn't it?

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#21059102 - 01/03/15 12:53 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

but you just never know when you might be on to something

Yes, we do. It is called the scientific method.

BTW, there are no theories of reincarnation.

--------------------

OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

#21063241 - 01/03/15 08:07 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Our very own.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Jaegar]
    #21063478 - 01/03/15 08:53 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

People often reference Buddhism as an influence in their reincarnation belief and while there are religions that profess the existence of transmigrating souls Buddhism is not one of them. I consider that one of the great reformative aspects of Buddhism. Reincarnation is more akin to the cyclic patterns of nature, yet having to do with the mind as well. Reincarnation represents the birth and death of ideas, of beliefs, of relationships and habits. It also represents new but similar bodies and their physical demise. Whatever genetic information is passed on is reincarnation. Whatever ideas and beliefs are passed on is reincarnation.

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

#21063775 - 01/03/15 09:47 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Why would there be a cap on individual consciousnesses?

I say a cap, or upper bound, because I believe in physics, where the conservation principles say matter is neither created nor destroyed. In addition, energy in neither created nor destroyed.

I suppose that I associate life/living with mass and energy. It is true that a body exchanges energy with the environment via heat transfer when it dies. Furthermore, I assume that our perception, thinking and whatnot is the result of chemical reactions in our brains. After all, Biochemistry is an active field of research. Those chemical reactions must conserve mass and energy according to physics.

So, an afterlife without a prelife appears to violate conservation of mass and energy. That is my line of thinking anyway. Likewise, no afterlife or prelife seems to suggest that mass and energy are created, also violating the conservation principals. Though, I do realize that there is no proof that:

consciousness = energy

It is conjecture.

Quote:

Rahz said:
How many believers does it take to constitute the truth?

I don't know. But, there are many people that don't believe in science. In my opinion, the coolest theories/laws in science tend to be self-evident. For example, Newton's third law states:

Quote:

Isaac Newton said:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It's self evident. And, nobody has ever disproved it.

Quote:

Rahz said:
Maybe something happened as you suggest, but what evidence is there? It's just a supposition isn't it?

There is no quantitative evidence and yes, it is supposition/conjecture.

It's interesting what you say about Buddhism. I never associated reincarnation with Buddhism. I always think of Hinduism when I think of reincarnation. I like what you say about genetics. Sperm and eggs don't violate the conservation principals.

I don't buy into organized religion. Reincarnation feels the most logical to me. Atheism is also logical to IMO.

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

but you just never know when you might be on to something

Yes, we do. It is called the scientific method.

No, you apply the scientific method to hypotheses. The scientific method proves or disproves the hypothesis.

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

BTW, there are no theories of reincarnation.

True, I should have said hypothesis. It was a matter of semantics. After all, what is religion if it is not a hypothesis. None have been proven or disproved to date.

Thank you guys for the thought provoking responses.

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

#21068730 - 01/04/15 10:37 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It requires belief because there is no proof or even a reasonable line of logic to support it. I think the idea of reincarnation is DA avoidance, same as the afterlife in Christianity.

There never really is proof for scientific theories, there are only tests, facts or logic that either discredit the theory or do not discredit the theory, if not than atheory gains some strength if it explains the data.

If there is no specific reason why reincarnation is impossible and reincarnation as a theory can best explain a given phenomenon and its data then that theory should be taken seriously. If the data is real that this phenomenon does indeed happen, that people can speak a language of which is not native to them and they had never studied then you need a theory to explain that phenomenon.

See explanations such as this, "The guy who played guitar, perhaps his episode triggered a novel expression of thought that included being naturally inclined at playing piano, though as he said he loved music and wanted to be good". I find to be very implausible and down right impossible. Playing guitar should in no way make it possible for someone to INSTANTLY become a talented pianist. They are completely different instruments and not even in the same category or type. It's a weak theory IMO.

Also with the man who woke up speaking french as his first language. He had only studied the language in high school only for grade nine (if i recall correctly) and he said he was poor at it. How does this explain one knowing the language naturally in full as if it is his native tongue?

Those are both weak theories to explain the given phenomenon. Reincarnation could explain these happenings quite easily and unless you have some actual reason why it is to be discounted, it is still a potential theory or explanation.

There is a similar phenomenon in which during sleep people will talk in a language they do not currently speak nor ever have in the present life.

http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivation.com/sleep-talking-and-dreaming-in-different-languages.html

That is just anecdotal evidence, literally just people talking on the internet. Not all evidence is scientific, scientific is the best type of evidence however it is not the only type. Life's secrets cannot be tested in a lab. So this constant demanding of scientific proof is just absurd. This is a philosophy and psychology board it is not simply a place to present naked scientific facts.

See Jim Tucker and Dr. Ian Stevenson for academic research papers which provide very strong evidence for reincarnation. "Tucker’s work is a continuation of Ian Stevenson’s, which made it into some of the most rigorous academic journals in the world, including the Journal of the American Medical Association, which is referenced with citation in Stevenson’s Wiki entry. JAMA referred to his work as a “painstaking and unemotional” collection of cases that were “difficult to explain on any assumption other than reincarnation.”

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#21068957 - 01/04/15 11:30 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

One last time for the totally ignorant: reincarnation is not a theory. This is beyond basic. It is about time for some 7-16 year veterans to grok this building block. No wonder this forum has stalled.

--------------------

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: OrgoneConclusion] * 1
    #21069005 - 01/04/15 11:40 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Do you care to elaborate?

According to definition it sure sounds exactly like a "theory" to me.

the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē/Submit
noun
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
"Darwin's theory of evolution"
synonyms: hypothesis, thesis, conjecture, supposition, speculation, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, surmise, assumption, presupposition; More
a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based.
"a theory of education"
an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action.
"my theory would be that the place has been seriously mismanaged"

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#21069058 - 01/04/15 11:52 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Sure, those are the generally misused definitions of the word based on popular misconception, but the philosophic/scientific definition is mush stricter and more focused.

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory force and must be falsifiable.

A theory is the PINNACLE of scientific knowledge; NOT the staring point. Reincarnation is merely a supposition and is stuck at that step until such time as other criterion are met; of which chance is likely to forever remain near zero.

As to falsifiability; the claim MUST be such that a single experiment could possibly prove such a claim to be false. For reincarnation, there is no such test ever done or proposed.

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (01/05/15 03:32 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#21069210 - 01/05/15 12:30 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Assuming a belief based on anecdotal evidence is faulty logic.

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Possible evidence for Reincarnation/Brain as Filter Theory [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #21070593 - 01/05/15 10:34 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I try not to assume but anecdotal evidence is not going to convince me of much unless I'm the one having the experience or the numbers are huge.  Most humans imo are stone cold liars either from choice or ignorance.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order