Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOfaRevolution
T
Loc: New England, USA
FAN POSITIONING??
    #2102659 - 11/13/03 07:21 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

I have a small xbox fan going 27/7 for fruiting after casing, and i was wondering, should i have my fan blowing inside the whole set up(i have this in the bottom drawer of my bureau, and its lined wiht plastic then there is saran wrap on the top with holes in it) so im wondering if i should have the fan blowing in or out, if it blows in then where is the CO2 going because the drawrer is closed,obviovuly its not air tight but is it sufficient spacing enough for CO2 to get out, also if i have the fan facing out of the set up will it just suck out air and co2 and bring it agianst the side of the wall and bounce back in?? or will it escape.... there is a large hole in the saran wrap for the fan and the fan is facing up to blow stuff out sum1 plz tell me what the best way would be thanks alot

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWyrdless
Stranger
A fan? [Re: OfaRevolution]
    #2103132 - 11/13/03 09:26 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

You do not need a fan in your casing. Especially if it is a used X-box fan, because in this case it will be covered in dust and also have dust imbeded in the mechanism. This will increase contamination.

I suggest that you do this.

-Take off the old saranwrap and put on new stuff
-Duct tape it to the edge of the casing conatiner
-Use double sided sticky velcro strips to secure the other end to the opposite side of the casing (strong,easy to resecure)
-Fan every day with a clean sheet of paper

The only need for automated air exchange is if you are going to run a couple hundred pounds of spawn. I assume that since it is in the bottom of your burea that it isn't a nundred pounds.

Caring for your casing every day is good, because you will know what the casing should smell like, how much moisture should be on the side and other experential learning. There is no substitute for direct human attention.

Maybe I go to far, I like to sing to them. I find it makes them happier and they dance with me in my dreams and my memories. Happy mushrooms sound squeaky wheras unhappy mushrooms tend to make a deep honking noise.

Always fan them when you hear the honking.
They'll be squeaking in no time!!!

--------------------
-------------------------

All your base are belong to us

OfflineOfaRevolution
T
Re: A fan? [Re: Wyrdless]
    #2103255 - 11/13/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

hey thanks alot, the Xbox fan has never been used my friend modded one and blew the mother board and gave me the fan, do u think there wil be enough air and co2 exchange under my bureau, would it be best if i kept the fan on and just aired it out be4 humidfiy with a peice of paper too, or do i really not need the fan at all?

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: A fan? [Re: OfaRevolution]
    #2103439 - 11/13/03 10:44 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

I would blow air into your set-up. Make sure you have the intake filtered in some way. You should probably place the fan on a timer. If you have it running 24/7 you will not be able to maintain very high of humidity and your casing will surley dry out.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineOfaRevolution
T
Re: A fan? [Re: Joshua]
    #2103463 - 11/13/03 10:52 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

thanks ya i turn it off when i go 2 school and i humidify it with an ultra sonic at least 3 times aday, do u think that will still be a problem with drying out?

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: A fan? [Re: OfaRevolution]
    #2104369 - 11/14/03 02:26 AM (13 years, 23 days ago)

You need to get a guage to determine the humidity. There are too many unknowns for me to guess if your setup is sufficient or not. It does sound like you will have humidity leaking from your setup which will likely cause molds to grow in the environment immediately outside of your setup. That is my impression at least from your description. My advice is to watch out for this and to seal your setup as good as possible. Get some 3 mil plastic sheeting instead of the saran wrap. Clear packaging tape works well with this type of plastic.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A fan? [Re: Joshua]
    #2163354 - 12/06/03 03:30 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I like fans in the fruiting chamber. Not fans positioned at the casing per se, but just fans to keep the air moving. Go back the the basics and think about nature for a moment: when mushrooms sprout up in the forest are they in totally dead air? No. There is almost always some air movement outdoors. Why not emulate it?

I have had the best fruitings by running a PC fan 24/7 down in the fruiting chamber blowing against the perlite just to get the air moving around and prevent CO2 buildups. This has really nothing to do with gas exchange since no fresh air is introduced (that's important too but for a different post). Here's an example of one of my setups that clearly shows a PC fan which was blowing down against the perlite:

This tray rocked. I got 11 rock hard dried grams per 1/2 pint cake from it.

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
Re: A fan? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #2165371 - 12/06/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 9 hours ago)

How well will a pc fan hold up in a humidified fruiting chamber? Does anyone know?
Is there a small fan built for high humidity? Ya know the kind that rotate? One of those would be perfect.
I need to circulate some humid air rather than just push new air in.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A fan? [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2348258 - 02/18/04 01:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It will hold up perfectly fine. When I cycle on my misting cycle (via an ultrasonic humidifier), I turn off the PC fan. This is very important. While the PC fan can handle 100% humiditiy well enough, it will not handle liquid water well.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology