Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefourHoDmt
overclock yourbrain

sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be?
    #2102319 - 11/13/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

neo and trinity will have about 5 quarts of colonized rye soon and are considering casing options. they think they just want to keep it simple since this is their first grow and go with a straight vermiculite casing layer in your standard mist-and-fan fruiting chamber. the question is...

wouldn't the substrate being fully colonized make it fairly resistant to contams? neo is wondering if using extreme sterile techniques is a waste of time since he's going to be opening the fruiting chamber twice or so a day to fan and thereby expose it to contams.

when trinity mists the inner walls of the chamber would it be alright for her to do so with a 5% h2o2 and water solution? would this also be ok for misting the vermiculite casing layer between flushes?

on sterilizing the vermiculite...neo and trin have a pressure cooker but they are not sure how they'd PC it. they suppose they could load it into spare quart jars...heh. and there's the boiling/pasteurization method. would anyone recommend either method over the other, or a method that i haven't mentioned?

as always, thanks a ton for advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: fourHoDmt]
    #2102341 - 11/13/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

the casing material needn't be sterile, just reasonably clean.

Offlineone800chiapet
Plant-HumanRelationshipsover the phone
    #2102344 - 11/13/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Tell neo to put the casing material in a jar with foil over the holes(I don't think you'd want to PC a jar without holes), and PC it like normal for at least 45 minutes, let it cool before you case it.

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? *DELETED* [Re: fourHoDmt]
    #2102356 - 11/13/03 03:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Letto

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinehydrogrower05
Stranger
Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #2102550 - 11/13/03 04:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

tell neo and trin that i said good luck

--------------------
The Matrix

OfflinefourHoDmt
overclock yourbrain

Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: hydrogrower05]
    #2102684 - 11/13/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

well after a drawn out and very melodramatic scene, trinity has died :P so it looks like neo is on his own.

MMerletto: so i can just use verm straight out of the bag no big deal?

OfflineEMPIRE
M.O.B.

Loc: Some where in Queens
    #2102809 - 11/13/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I use verm straight out the bag and Ive never had a problem with contams but I guess to be on the safe side you would be better off putting it in the microwave for a few minutes, wouldnt hurt. Good luck!

-EMPIRE-

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: EMPIRE]
    #2102988 - 11/13/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Per1sh -- you crack me up :wink:

You seem like you understand sterility -- a casing is by no means sterile.  You have two choices -- you can either sterilize your casing, try to keep things clean and everything off of the casing to prevent mushroom contaminants (usually the easier way to go) or you can try and give the mycelium the best advantages possible.  Usually people find the former to be the easier way -- the only things that an unsterilized casing would really benifit is timing in which to colonise the casing and then pin (faster = more growth; microflora in the casing are benificial for fruiting, meaning the mycelium will fruit sooner if microflora is present) and size of flushes.  Paul Stamets chooses straight peat moss and lime for these reasons, but peat is kind of tricky -- I'll explain if you want.)  Most beginners have much more success using a less nutrified casing (peat has lots of sticks and stuff in it) and sterilizing it.

I hope that made sense.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinemomsn
Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: micro]
    #2104119 - 11/13/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Micro, can you explain why you think (or know) that straight peat is "tricky". I have used straight peat on a few occasions and never had any problems.

OfflinefourHoDmt
overclock yourbrain

Re: sterility in casing...how extreme does it need to be? [Re: momsn]
    #2105194 - 11/14/03 06:45 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

being clean has worked quite well for neo so far so he'll continue i imagine.

how well do you think soaking the verm in a light (5% max) h2o2 solution would do? i could either soak it or spray it, but soaking it would clean it before it came into contact with the substrate layer.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2105287 - 11/14/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It's not really that tricky -- you just need to apply it so it's airy (crumble while applying it) and raise CO2 while it's incubating. A lot of people fuck up straight peat, though, but I actually find it easier.

The trick is to give the mycelium the advantage so it will grow before anything else has a chance to get a hold, but peat seems to contaminate a lot more easily than straight vermiculite if you don't....

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags