Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
One Case against Chi Power
    #2100040 - 11/13/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Foreword: Try NOT to bring up other anecdotal evidence in favor of chi power. Direct your remarks to this SPECIFIC topic. Thank you.

If chi power were a reality, it would stand to "reason" that a hint of it would rear it's nonexistent head up in "World's Strongest Man" competitions. However it appears that physics and physiology (cross-sectional muscle mass) rule supreme. The top contenders as of late, are ALWAYS enormous, well-muscled men in the 270 lb. to 350 lb. range.

It would seem to this ignorant poster, that channeling the "nearly unlimited" power of mind would require enormous focus and intensity, but that muscle mass would be largely irrelevant; so that a physically smaller chi master would easily triumph. But, alas, the world IS as it seems and not full of mumbo-jumbo.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: One Case against Chi Power [Re: Swami]
    #2100057 - 11/13/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe it has something to do with them pulling airplanes with their teeth and other such nonsense? What are the rules for strongman? Don't you have to weigh over 200 pounds or something? And do they even allow chi masters to enter?

I don't see any strongmen breaking spears with their neck. 

Edit: Good to see you are back to your old tricks.. late night S&P has been lonely without you  :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (11/13/03 02:15 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: One Case against Chi Power [Re: Shroomism]
    #2100080 - 11/13/03 02:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Try NOT to bring up other anecdotal evidence in favor of chi power. Direct your remarks to this SPECIFIC topic. Thank you.

(Do you feel the respect?) Not even the first poster can stay on track.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2100082 - 11/13/03 02:27 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Chi does this

this

and this

not this

Who do you think would win in a fight to the death?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2100084 - 11/13/03 02:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe it has something to do with them pulling airplanes with their teeth and other such nonsense?

Please explain why pulling an airplane (NOT a World's Strongest Man event) is nonsense, while putting a shrapened spear to your neck is sensical?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2100093 - 11/13/03 02:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Oh come on now.. did you just put that disclaimer to ignore my first three sentences? Or everything I said altogether?

Chi doesn't claim to make anyone super strong. Of course only sheer muscle mass is going to help you pull a semi truck or throw a 30 foot log as far as possible. I would even venture to say chi masters don't enter into such things because they are rediculous displays of testosterone and brute strength, as opposed to discipline, technique, and training, which is the basis of all chi arts.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2100100 - 11/13/03 02:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well most people putting a sharpened spear to their throat and attempting to break it would cut a hole into their throat. That should be evidence of SOMETHING right there.

Pulling an airplane is brute strength. Though it does require chi (internal energy), as do all activities. Chi masters are simply aware of it and able to channel it.

--------------------

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2100105 - 11/13/03 02:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe qi only manifests itself when the body is in extreme danger. Perhaps in survival mode when instinct takes over and the body performs feats that are normally constricted by the conscious mind. One example of this I can think of is people under the influence of pcp or other disassociatives that can overpower multiple people at serious physical risk to themselves. It is not an entirely unbelievable leap to think that perhaps with extreme conditioning of the mind that one may achieve momentary 'superhuman' feats of agility or strength. More likely, qi is just a metaphor that got misunderstood somewhere along the way and taken at face value (like the Bible).

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2100106 - 11/13/03 02:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

*Knock! Knock! Hello shroomism, anybody home? These pictures, which may or may not be valid, are anecdotal, now aren't they? They have nothing to do with moving heavy objects now do they?

One reason that I choose the WSM contest is for the SIMPLE FACT that it is much harder to fake moving 300 lbs for 50 ft, than many other demonstrations of prowess and because SIZE seems to be one of
the main determining factors.

Who do you think would win in a fight to the death?
Your question is not only irrelevant, but does not make real-world sense. Is Tiger Woods a better golfer than Andre Agassi?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: One Case against Chi Power [Re: bert]
    #2100110 - 11/13/03 02:38 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Chi does not only manifest when the body is in extreme danger, although it does during that time as well.
The entire practice of most internal martial arts are based on being able to channel and direct chi - Tai Chi.. Qi Gong.. Aikido.. etc. It is simply energy, and the ability to control it.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2100126 - 11/13/03 02:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I don't like the rules you make for comparing things. This and this are not acceptable as responses. Doesn't leave me with much to work with. Considering how I am of the formless philosophy, I don't conform very well, sorry.

Of course size is going to be the biggest factor when moving weight. "One case against science, is that it can't prove that God exists" hello?

No one said chi gives anyone supernatural strength. You want to compare strongmen to chi masters in the strongman category that's fine.. but put them in the chi master's dojo and you have a different story altogether. On your same rationale, I could say that strength and size mean nothing in a fight, so strength must be worthless.

Sorry if I didn't address the issue exactly to your preconceived notions of how I should.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2100155 - 11/13/03 02:56 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

1. qi, chi, ch'i, ki -- (the circulating life energy that in Chinese philosophy is thought to be inherent in all things; in traditional Chinese medicine the balance of negative and positive forms in the body is believed to be essential for good health)

QI(CHI) = ENERGY

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2100178 - 11/13/03 03:04 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"It would seem to this ignorant poster, that channeling the "nearly unlimited" power of mind would require enormous focus and intensity, but that muscle mass would be largely irrelevant; so that a physically smaller chi master would easily triumph. But, alas, the world IS as it seems and not full of mumbo-jumbo"

hmmm. all I could htink of is adrenaline, but that's not chi (maybe, correct me if I'm wrong). like when you are in one of thoose fight or flight situations and there are instances where you can do things you wouldn;t normally be able to do. isn't that a product of the mind. I know I've been in a couple of those situations, where I wan't really thinking, but jsut reacted.

"If chi power were a reality, it would stand to "reason" that a hint of it would rear it's nonexistent head up in "World's Strongest Man" competitions. However it appears that physics and physiology (cross-sectional muscle mass) rule supreme. The top contenders as of late, are ALWAYS enormous, well-muscled men in the 270 lb. to 350 lb. range."

how could you even measure that?? how could you say what is and what isn't? as in, how could you say that some of those people don't even use it indirectly? what does world stongest men have to do with chi in the first place.

isn't chi just a word that descirbe the balance of energy for good health??????

I know I've seen on the discovery channel and live, people take swords to the stomach and "through extreme concentration" supposedly not have it break the skin. am I not to beleive what I see with my own eyes. oh and the swords are real, or are most masters filthy liars????

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: One Case against Chi Power [Re: kaiowas]
    #2100195 - 11/13/03 03:10 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The swords are real.
The chi is real.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2100202 - 11/13/03 03:13 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

no I know the swords are real, as I've handled on many of occasions. too many to be duped by a fake IMHO

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Loc: Atlanta Flag
    #2100385 - 11/13/03 04:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This is a case against chi how? :lol:

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2100546 - 11/13/03 05:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You seem to be assuming that a "chi master" would actually have any interest in strongest man competitions.

Also, not everyone claim the use of chi gives you unlimited strength it may simply give you more strength than you would expect to have for a certain size/bulk etc.

Btw, Welcome back!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2100946 - 11/13/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If chi power were a reality, it would stand to "reason" that a hint of it would rear it's nonexistent head up in "World's Strongest Man" competitions. However it appears that physics and physiology (cross-sectional muscle mass) rule supreme. The top contenders as of late, are ALWAYS enormous, well-muscled men in the 270 lb. to 350 lb. range.

This is because the WSM contest is sponsored by Met-Rx, a bulk adding muscle builder.Therefore it's competetors are showpieces for their product.They will not ever have a true chi master competing as they would not be good salesmen for Met-Rx on diets of fish and rice.

Now if someone can explain my ability with anything but chi force application feel free.
I can bench 200-220 but have NO overhead strength,I have had major heart and abdominal surgery,I have arthritis
I can also channel my chi and lift a complete small block engine,heads on, and put it in the back of my truck.My 190 lb frame is damaged enough that this should be impossible but enough folks have seen me do it to realize there is something to what I tell them when they ask "how the hell I did that"
Swami WSM is a sideshow for giants and a true representation of muscle strength but does not even wish to consider that a smallish asian may be able to best these giants in certain areas.Hence No Chi Masters.Besides if you have studied to become a chi master then your mindset about WSM type events is one of disinterest
WR:rasta:

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2101076 - 11/13/03 10:00 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Oh come on now.. did you just put that disclaimer to ignore my first three sentences? Or everything I said altogether?

The disclaimer was there all along. Are you saying that by using my prophetic powers I "knew" ahead of time what you were going to post?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2101086 - 11/13/03 10:04 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

On your same rationale, I could say that strength and size mean nothing in a fight, so strength must be worthless.

Au contraire, mon ami. Even lions respect the strength and size of an elephant. Of course strength and size mean something, but there are other contributing factors as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order