Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejaredfromsubway
Question about fruiting chamber..
    #2098013 - 11/12/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My jars are almost fully colonized and it will soon be time to begin casing. After reading the Casing Teks, I still have questions regarding the need for a fruiting chamber once pinning starts.

When the mycelium begins appearing through the casing layer, is it necessary to move the container that they are in now (a baking tray, used in the casing for dummies tek http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html) into a fruiting chamber? Or can we simply continue covering up the lid of the tray with saran wrap and misting/fanning occasionally until full growth?

Basically is it really necessary to move the baking trays into a larger (rubbermaid with black electrical tape along the sides?) container with moist vermiculite on the bottom for better humidification; or is it ok to simply let them continue growing in the baking trays they are in now?

One final question, in the casing for dummies tek, it does not say to ever sterilize the vermiculite being used in the baking trays(boil them I guess like you do earlier for the substrate mix) is it necessary or not?

Thanks alot for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeed_Planter
Stranger
Re: Question about fruiting chamber.. [Re: jaredfromsubway]
    #2098062 - 11/12/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It seems like it would be ok to continue misting and fanning without a rubbermaid. The only problems i can really forsee is that the fruitbodies might simply not have enough vertical space to grow. Youll need atleast 4-5 inches above the top layer of verm. If your pan is deep enough you could probably get away with it though.

On a final note i think the saran wrap would just be too big of a hassle and you would be better off with a rubbermaid container. You only need a humidty of 80 percent or so for casings and this is easily done by lava rocks or perlite. The rubbermaid would also be much more permanent and you could easily sustain several casings at once.

Offlinejaredfromsubway
Re: Question about fruiting chamber.. [Re: Seed_Planter]
    #2098074 - 11/12/03 06:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Great in that case We'll move the baking trays to a larger rubbermaid, thanks for the help.

It's kind of hard to get a visual from the teks without pictures though regarding the fruiting chamber. Do we simply put a layer of moistened perlite on the bottom of the rubbermaid, put the trays on top of it, and close the lid?

Thanks so much again for the help.

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Question about fruiting chamber.. [Re: jaredfromsubway]
    #2098122 - 11/12/03 07:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Look at the bulk neglect tek...and at the shroomwizard's grow guide. Both teks do not require a fruiting chamber. However, IMO, a fruiting chamber is good cause it keeps temps/humidity in right range with minimal effort and protects mycelium from outside contaminants. A small 2X3 foot envirnment is much easier to control than an entire room...

--------------------

Offlinejaredfromsubway
Re: Question about fruiting chamber.. [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #2098178 - 11/12/03 07:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'll look at both. I must have somehow missed the neglect tek in the bulk tek section.

My question about just putting the trays into the rubbermaid with moistened perlite on the bottom still remains though if anyone happens to know. Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation