Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Mycobag Query
    #2097019 - 11/12/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

This is my pet rabbit's cat's first attempt at growing shrooms. A week ago, his bag was innoculated with B+ spores from a syringe. Both were purchased from sporebank.com. They have been incubated at around 80-90 degrees since innoculation. So far, no results.

My question is, however, does it make any difference how closely the grains inside the bag are compacted? The contents inside seem to be held together loosely.

There IS moisture in the bag as well as bits of what look and feel like metallic covered pieces of styrofoam, no idea what these are. Anyways, when I feel the growing substrate through the bag, it is sponge-like. Can anyone give me some insite? Thanks.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycobag Query [Re: Tweexican]
    #2097041 - 11/12/03 02:12 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

break up all the shit in the bag. it'll help speed up the process.
90 degrees is probly too hot.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

Loc: Afgahnistan
    #2097046 - 11/12/03 02:14 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

My friend has had some experience with mycobags.
1) Myco bags take a while to colonize, my friends took almost 4 weeks so don't worry if you don't see any growth for another week.
2) Once you do see growth shake up the contents of the bag, this will allow for faster colonization.
3) Moisture in the bag is fine, its a good thing.
4) Keep the bag in the dark, and try to get the temperature as close to 86'F as possible. Thats the optimal growing temp.
5) Patience is the most important thing in growing shoorms. So have some patience. Give it a week and you should see the first signs of growth.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2097056 - 11/12/03 02:16 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

It can take several weeks to see results in a bag. I've seen trouble with the sporebank b+ strain recently. I've heard complaints about their recent b+ batches... and my friend, Don Quixote, watched one b+ bag take 2 months to colonize and 2 weeks to go from pin to shroom.

I would take the bags out of the incubator (they will retain more moisture... if you need to reinoculate) and watch them for another couple of weeks. If you see no growth after two more weeks, reinoculate.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

Re: Mycobag Query [Re: Rose]
    #2097073 - 11/12/03 02:19 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
I would take the bags out of the incubator (they will retain more moisture... if you need to reinoculate) and watch them for another couple of weeks. If you see no growth after two more weeks, reinoculate.

The mycobags come with all the moisture you will need from colonization to fruiting. Just try to keep your temp as close to 86'F as possible. You will see growth in a week.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobag Query [Re: Boobylip]
    #2097106 - 11/12/03 02:27 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Booby, normally you would be right, but if the bag has stalled and the bags are incubating at 80-90 degrees, they WILL lose misture over the course of a month. If he hasn't seen any growth in two weeks, I'd be a little concerned. Also, it sounds like he only has one bag. I'd hate to see him need to buy another.

Tweex, did your friend inject the middle of the substrate or did your friend inject near the walls of the bag? If the middle was injected, you may have a dud. Spores like to start on the plastic itself. Otherwise, the spores may not germinate. If your incubator EVER got over 100 degrees, you may have killed your spores. Check your incubator, slow colonization can be a sign of a hot incubator.

Never let it get over 85 degrees. Too cold, and your myc will grow slowly. Too hot and it WILL die.

The best thing you can do, is get some more bags from www.mycobag.com abd a new strain from www.ralphstersspores.com

These guys are MUCH cheaper than Sporebank. Also, they seem to be more ethical (look how sporebank is trying to steal Ralphster's site www.ralphsterspores.com). I'm done dealing with Sporebank.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #2097108 - 11/12/03 02:27 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

By the way, I forgot to mention there is a slight odor. It smells "grainy", almost like a wet dog. There doesn't seem to be any contam, I just thought I'd note this. Also, to answer your question, I followed the directions and innoculated NEAR the sides of the bags as illustrated at sporebank. However, I also shook up the contents after reading the FAQ. Does this put me in a bad spot?

Anyways, thanks for the input, Cervantes, what other kinds of trouble have you seen from sporebank? So far, all I've read is bad rap from these guys. Anyone with good results from these guys?

Also, can anyone tell me if they know anything about the substrate in the grow bags supplied by sporebank? When I inspected the bag one day, I found a sunflower seed....funny. Anyways, thanks for the input, I'll keep all updated. You guys rule.

--------------------

Edited by Tweexican (11/12/03 02:35 PM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2097121 - 11/12/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

My friend is growing sporebank b+ in a sporebank bag. It is the slowest growth he's ever wittnessed. And, it looks like he's getting a ton of aborts in his first bag. Lemme post some pics of his bag.

First shot

over a week later

first pins

Over a week later, same flush still growing. Cake was moved back into the incubator to speed growth.

I've also, heard of others having trouble with Sporeworks (sporebank's supplier) B+ spores. Mutants, slow growth... etc. Let me find a link.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post1877529
This isn't exactly the link I was looking for. There is a thread that deals with Sporebank's b+.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (11/12/03 03:01 PM)

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

#2097134 - 11/12/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

My friend innoculated all his bags in the middle. I think thats why it takes so long for the bags to colonize. However they always do. I'm telling you it took two weeks for my friends bag from Sporebank to show signs of growth. After that another 1 1/2 week to colonize completely. Don't worry just yet. The less you play with it the better it will be.

Another thing it might be is that the middle of the bag already has growth you just can't see it yet.

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

#2097139 - 11/12/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Cervantes hehe next time try casing.
Fruiting in the bag is a waste. My friend cased his with coir/peat/verm/oyster shells. 300grams of first flush.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2097219 - 11/12/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Booby, have you tried the new (3 months old or newer) Sporebank b+ syringes? I am not talking about mycobag cultivation, I am talking about a potentially bad batch of spores from a vendor.

Yes, normally you would be right, but I have wittnessed a lot of duds with this sporebank strain. And they took a LOT longer than 1 and a half weeks to colonize completely.

Hell, the bag has taken a two weeks to grow its pins... and they're STILL not mature (13 days after pinning began and counting... no aborts yet). Have you ever heard of cubensis shrooms taking this long to form? I appreciate the input Booby but, I know someone who is had EXACTLY the same problems as Tweex... same strain, same vendor, same problem... and my friend only got growth in half his bags!

As for casing, and fruiting in bags being a waste, my friend doesn't need THAT many shrooms (he will be dunking this cake and fruiting as a cake... but that is more to try and get the cake to behave). Some of us just do this for the love of the hobby... not for MASSIVE flushes. Besides, would YOU want to case this SLOW brick of mycelia? It is growing at least three times slower than it should.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2097246 - 11/12/03 02:59 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

*By the way, I forgot to mention there is a slight odor. It smells "grainy", almost like a wet dog.

That sounds like uncolonized mycobag smell (good). If you have mixed your substrate more than once, and you still see no growth, you won't hurt yourself to reinoculate... this time, mix the bag after inoculation and, don't mix the bag again, till you see growth.

As for the substrate used, it is a mystery, you can see the verm, and grain, but the exact ingredients are a secret. They grow good, potent stuff.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #2107543 - 11/14/03 09:34 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

It's been 2 weeks... still nothing. Not one sign of colonization. I'm guessing sporebank sent me a shitty syringe. I asked for a new one and they said its on its way.

Anyone else order from sporebank lately? If so I'm curious as to how its coming along?

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2108207 - 11/15/03 02:47 AM (13 years, 23 days ago)

Well done... At least your bags didn't contaminate.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #2116034 - 11/17/03 01:03 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Finally after almost 3 weeks, this rabbit's cat's bag is showing some colonization. This took forever... just BARELY showing signs.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2116056 - 11/17/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Congradulastions... you're doiing fine.. and it sounds like Sporebank treated you well.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #2116085 - 11/17/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Yeah, not too shabby guys. Wouldn't have been able to get through it w/o your help. Kudos.

Btw, I have one more quick question, if a syringe wasn't stored in a refrigerator, would it still be viable lets say.... 3 weeks at room temp? I was also wondering, what if the spores in the syringe look a dark color? Is that good or bad?

--------------------

InvisibleGonzoCool

Loc: Flag
    #2116098 - 11/17/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

when it does start to colonize in patches, crumble up the mycelium and mix it around evenly amongst the uncolonized substrate, make sure the substrate is loose and airy, crumble the mycelium up and mix it around.
the temp in the bag is normally about 3 or 4 degrees higher than the temp in the room. Good Luck guy

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobag Query [Re: GonzoCool]
    #2116112 - 11/17/03 01:25 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I think the syringe should be fine... these last three weeks havent been the hottest of the year.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Anonymous

#2116169 - 11/17/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

i think b+ are just slow,a friend got them from earthtongue and they took over a month to colonize on brf/verm.next time he will do it on wbs and see if there is a differnce.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation