Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrisette
Stranger
ID help - agaricus campestris?
    #20942986 - 12/07/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Habitat:
Found this growing in my yard in Riverside, CA after a few days of pretty intense rain. Coming straight out of the soil, mostly singly although I found one set in a pair.

Gills:
Pink gills, not attached to the stem; gills turned brown when I let them sit overnight.

Stem:
Solid stem, with a veil. The mushrooms I found were of various sizes, on the biggest one the stem was probably about 2 inches long.

Cap:
2 inches diameter, white, feels soft

Spore print color:
Dark brown

Bruising:
doesn't stain from cutting or from lysol (read this online somewhere - does this actually work as a stain test?),

Other information:
Hard to tell what it smells like - I crushed the base of the stem but it still didn't smell very strongly.

I think this is agarics campestris. I read online that if the gills before opening are pink, then it is campestris and not agarics californicus. Most of the unopened mushrooms I found were really tiny - when I cut into them they were very pale pink, except for one unopened I'd kept out overnight (it had light brown gills by then, but I assume they were pink at one point). I found one larger unopened mushroom, and the gills were definitely pink.

Are these field mushrooms? Thinking of cooking one to test if so...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrisette
Stranger
Re: ID help - agaricus campestris? [Re: grisette]
    #20944379 - 12/07/14 07:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Update: I washed the caps and stems, and they smell more mushroom-like - they smell like button mushrooms. I also cooked one to find out if it would smell more strongly, and it did not. I put a cooked piece in my mouth (didn't eat it) to see what it tasted like, and it seemed to taste good.

I also noticed that two of the mushrooms have baby mushrooms attached at the base, and the base seems to be staining an orange-ish color.

Also, meant to say "meadow mushroom" in my previous post, not field mushroom

Invisibledomesticgnome

Loc: For me to know and you to find...
    #20944396 - 12/07/14 08:01 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Agaricus, certainly. A. campestris is likely if it's pleasant smelling.

--------------------

Offlinegrisette
Stranger
Re: ID help - agaricus campestris? [Re: domesticgnome]
    #20944523 - 12/07/14 08:19 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks! Here is another mushroom I found yesterday in a different location; I'm wondering if it may be agaricus campestris as well:

Mushroom Sample #2

Habitat: Found growing out of ground beside a dirt path

Gills: Gills are free. They were more pinkish when found - I have been keeping this one in the fridge so the pink is still slightly there but it is changing to brown

Stem: 2 inches long. Tapers slightly at base. Whitish colored at top, tinged a little pink. No veil present, but I think there may have been when I picked it.

Cap: Just shy of 3 inches, white with some slight scaling, irregular shape (not perfectly round)

Spore print color: Dark brown

Bruising: Bruises an orange-ish color at the base. I tried using my nail on the cap, and it didn't bruise at all

Also, it smells good, very mushroom-like.

Invisibledomesticgnome

#20944720 - 12/07/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Looks the same to me. I go in for any Agaricus, that smells like the store bought variety. The species name doesn't make it taste any better in my opinion.
Though, I hope you don't get poisoned and get mad at me iff'n a mushroom hurts you.

--------------------

Offlinegrisette
Stranger
    #20944980 - 12/07/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Haha, no worries! Maybe I will try Mushroom #2 tomorrow, depending on how Mushroom #1 goes. I ate a small half cap, the one that looked the most to me like the a. campestris (in the first set of pics, the one unopened & cut in half showing pink gills), about half an hour ago. So I guess I will know within the next few hours whether I have campestris or californicus. Do you think a small half cap would be enough to feel the effects if it is californicus?

Invisibledomesticgnome

#20945156 - 12/07/14 10:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I know nothing of your caliagaricus. But there's hardly any mushrooms dangerous in that dose, and I know these aren't the ones.

Just do as you are, and try small amounts of new fungi. You never know if something is edible till you try it. humans are so diverse. For instance I think Laetiporus sulphorous is delicious, as most do, however it made me shit brown water for days.

--------------------

Offlinegrisette
Stranger
    #20946885 - 12/08/14 10:33 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Well, didn't have any GI issues from the mushroom half - I think I'll try a bit more today and see if I'm still good... Would be great to have edibles sprouting in my backyard!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures