Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Contaminated cakes - how to clean out a PMP?
    #2094106 - 11/11/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So I had two cakes get some really nasty blue-green shit all over their surface whilst in my fruiting chamber. I had reason to believe that the contams came onto the cake earlier, but just to make sure I'm taking apart my PMP and cleaning it out all the way.

I have extra tubing, so I'm just replacing that - but I'm not sure the best way to clean the bubbler sticks and the tub in general. Bleach and then a water rinse? Hydrogen peroxide? Rubbing alcohol?

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminated cakes - how to clean out a PMP? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2094119 - 11/11/03 08:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Are you sure it just wasn't bruising of the cake?

As for a cleaning solution, the best is some diluted bleach.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2094122 - 11/11/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

when do you think they got contammed? sorry for the loss

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Contaminated cakes - how to clean out a PMP? [Re: daywalker]
    #2094149 - 11/11/03 08:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, the original cake they came from was from a MycoBag and in my "n00b"-ness I ditched the cake when I got the first flush off of it (I mistook some fluffy mycelium for contams). A few hours later I found the shroomery and read more about casing so I did a dunk, crumble and case. I think some of the mycelium must of gotten some mold in it from the trash can.

Anyhoo, I've been fighting blue-greenies on this cake for about a week now in spots, but over night it just about took over. While I'm not good at differentiating between the white molds, I know blue-green mold when I see it. Waaaay back when I used to be a boy scout (actually made eagle even) and it was pretty common for the younger guys not to dry out their equipment properly when they got home - it would get blue-green mold on it like mad sometimes.

I'll be using the diluted bleach to clean up my rocks and tub and generally scrubbing the shit out of every thing that goes in the PMP. Next week I'm getting a *sweet* Oregon Scientific remote thermometer/hyrdrometer so I'm doing part of the cleaning process every night until then so I can spent a few days before my new jars are ready primping the PMP to the perfect settings.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2094178 - 11/11/03 08:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

your cleaning regimine should help... oh, and no trash next time!  :lol: good luck 

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: Contaminated cakes - how to clean out a PMP? [Re: daywalker]
    #2094447 - 11/11/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The ideal way that I clean all cultivation apparatus -

First, a good rinsing out and general cleaning. For jars and hand-held things, this can be done at the sink. Your PMP needs a good rinsing. Not sure of the size of it, so outside with the hose, or indoors at a sink / bathtub. Hot soapy water does the trick! Doesn't have to be an antibacterial sort of soap, we'll deal with disinfection later.

Second, a disinfection stage.  One part bleach to nine parts of warm water. Don't be sparing with it. Use a scrubbing brush rather than a cloth. You want the "foamy" stuff on every part of the terrarium for a few seconds at least. Jars I usually recommend soaking (if they were contammed), same with contammed casing containers.  Scrub! Scrub! Scrub!  After scrubbing, I usually spray everything with a healthy misting of Lysol or Chlorox Spray.  Jars get a good misting of 91% isoprophyl alcohol.

Third, removal of all chemicals used in disinfection process.  Personally, I like putting as much as I can in the dishwasher. Newer models have a "sanitize" feature that keeps the dishes / jars / containers in 175 degree steam for 20 minutes. It's not alot, but it helps, and it really gets everything out of the containers/jars. 

Fourth, I always mist the insides of the jars (if they've undergone this process and sat for a time) with 91% IPA again, and let air dry.  All tools get the above treatment, then dishwashed again immediatly prior to useage.

Excessive? Possibly
0% contam rate? Definatly :smile: (my experience, at least)

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag