Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
ID cards in Britain.
    #2093321 - 11/11/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm surprised that those of you from Britain aren't screaming about this.

OH, I know..... shit like this is only bad if the US does it.

Britain Cements Plan for Compulsory Identity Cards
NewsMax.com Wires
Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2003
LONDON ? The British government said Tuesday it wanted to introduce compulsory identity cards to protect against illegal immigration, welfare fraud and terrorism, though implementation is years away.
Home Secretary David Blunkett said the government would introduce the scheme after building a national database of biometric information using fingerprints, iris scans and facial recognition technology.

"An ID card scheme will help tackle the crime and serious issues facing the U.K., particularly illegal working, immigration abuse, ID fraud, terrorism and organized crime," Blunkett said.

"Using multiple identities is one of the most common practices of those involved in terrorist activity," the Home Office said.

But the issue of identity cards has split Prime Minister Tony Blair's government, with some ministers reportedly claiming that they are too expensive and threaten civil liberties.

Britain has not had compulsory identity cards for ordinary citizens since shortly after World War II. Such ID cards are mandatory in several Western European countries, including Belgium and Germany.

Blair has endorsed the idea in principle, but his office last week said it would take years to resolve the many complex issues surrounding the scheme.

The Home Office said Blunkett's statement Tuesday signaled that the government was committed to the scheme, whereas previously it had only regarded it as a "good idea." Blunkett did not announce any new legislation, but said he expected 80 percent of the population to have the cards within about 10 years.

Britain is already working on upgrading passports to include chips containing biometric data, and the UK Passport Service will soon begin a six-month biometric pilot to test face, iris and fingerprint capture and recognition technology, the Home Office said. It said officials also planned to use biometric technology for driver's licenses.

Information from the driver's license and passport authorities would be used to compile a national database, the Home Office said.

"The government, through Parliament, would make ID cards compulsory when the technology is seen to be working, take up reaches an appropriate level, and public acceptability of the card enables the implementation of a universal scheme," the department said. "It will not be compulsory to carry a card."

Blunkett said ministers would likely decide in five to six years on a date to make ownership of ID cards fully compulsory and would then ask Parliament to agree.

He said that only basic information will be held on the ID card database, such as a person's name, address, birthday and sex. It will not have details of religion, political beliefs, marital status or health records.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2093341 - 11/11/03 06:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

They recently introduced new Drivers Licences in the province where I live that were supposed to be counterfeit proof...they have already discovered very advanced fakes within WEEKS of distributing them.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: Rono]
    #2093348 - 11/11/03 06:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't take long where profit is involved.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2093395 - 11/11/03 06:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If I'm not mistaken, there are plenty of other countries with similar systems. The reason it's such an outrage here in the US is because we have a constitution that's supposed to protect us from such drastic measures. That's what I like about America: we have a great tradition of having the most free speech and the most privacy rights of any nation on earth. Of course, with Ashcroft as our Attourney General, I don't know if that's true anymore, and if it is, I doubt it will continue to be true for very long if Bush gets re-elected.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: silversoul7]
    #2093414 - 11/11/03 06:49 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Good comments. It's probably just that they are more concerned as to whether Charles is bisexual or not.  :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2093418 - 11/11/03 06:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Good comments. It's probably just that they are more concerned as to whether Charles is bisexual or not.  :lol: 

I don't believe I've ever met a gay/bi guy that ugly.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2093422 - 11/11/03 06:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Since when do looks get in the way when power and money are involved?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2093749 - 11/11/03 08:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

they've already got us tagged with social security numbers. it's just that there's no picture on the card...

remember... unless you're doing something bad, you've got nothing to be alarmed over...  :smirk:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: ]
    #2093769 - 11/11/03 08:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's another example of government gone wild.

SS numbers were only meant to be used for tax purposes only.

I tried mentioning that to a cop in Maryland once, after I had finished telling him my phone number was unlisted and I didn't give it out. He didn't seem to care about the phone number. After the SS number comment by me, he suggested we discuss it at the station.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2093816 - 11/11/03 09:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The Brits have their own version of "Patriot Act" type suspension of freedom from search and seizure, too. Government inspectors may enter any Brit's dwelling (or place of business) and search it at any time, with no need for a specific search warrant signed by a judge -- as long as they suspect there may be a television in the dwelling.

But of course, we all have confidence that such inspectors would never dream of passing on any information they stumbled across during such a search to any other government agency, because that would just not be cricket!

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/pauljacob/printpj20031109.shtml

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2094975 - 11/12/03 01:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I tried mentioning that to a cop in Maryland once

Sounds like another one of those "best of a bad choice" decisions luv. Lets see, you supported Bush, chose a quote from an asshole like Ted Nugent, chose to believe Bush over Scott Ritter and still refuse to learn from any of it.

Perhaps the next time you are faced with the "Best of a bad choice" you should think very carefully what you believe the best is, then pick the worst. Maybe that way you'll be right for once.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: Xlea321]
    #2095549 - 11/12/03 05:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Actually Alpo, I'd do the same in each situation again as they were, and remain, the best choices.

Bush was, and is, the best choice. (sadly)

A good quote is still good no matter who says it.

Bush hasn't been proved wrong, yet your hero Ritter admits taking Iraqi money and then what do ya know, his story changes.

And I always learn new things. One lesson you seem to have never learned though is to be honest. And until you learn that, anything else you learn will be incomplete.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: Phred]
    #2095960 - 11/12/03 08:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Comparing the TV license to the patriot act..It would be funny if I didnt know you are serious.

Anyway your source is wrong. This taken from a university web site advising students of the situation regarding TV licensing: "The TV licensing company enforces licence holding.Both detector vans and individual officers with hand-held detectors monitor all residential areas. Detectors reveal whether a TV is being watched. Detectors can distinguish whether you are using a black & white or colour TV set. TV detector officers can make random checks on properties ? they may not be in a van, they may not even be detecting a signal. If an enquiry officer visits they will have an identification card. If you do not let them into your property then they may apply to a magistrate for a search warrant which means that they can return without prior notice and have the right to enter the property. "

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: GazzBut]
    #2095972 - 11/12/03 08:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ID cards.... 2013
TV License... Goes up ?5 after April

:rolleyes: For shame....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2096152 - 11/12/03 09:38 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I dont really begrudge the tv licence. I reckon its worth ?10 a month to have two fairly good channels without any advertising...plus all the radio stations, which do have some quality stuff on them a first rate website and of course the world service which people all over the world enjoy! Compared to how much Sky costs you get much more value with your TV licenece...Everytime i visit my bro I play on his sky system and it is no overestatement to say that most of the time it is utter shite! The footy is about the best bit!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: GazzBut]
    #2096821 - 11/12/03 01:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup: Its worth it just to see Andrew Marr re-enacting Thunderbirds while giving politcal commentary.

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #2097157 - 11/12/03 02:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

and now from the Scotsman:

ID card delay to defuse Cabinet feud

JASON BEATTIE

CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

MINISTERS yesterday agreed a compromise aimed at ending the Cabinet feud over the introduction of compulsory identity cards.

David Blunkett moved to calm growing tensions with senior Cabinet colleagues by conceding a delay of the scheme until at least 2013.

In what amounted to a face-saving exercise, the Home Secretary announced that, from 2007-08, newly-issued passports and driving licences would include biometric data such as electronic finger prints or iris recognition.

The upgrading of the documents will be mandatory and will increase the cost of renewing a driving licence from ?38 to ?73 and the cost of a passport from ?42 to ?73.

It is estimated that within ten years, 80 per cent of the adult population will have at least one of these forms of ID.

rest of article

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: ID cards in Britain. [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2097503 - 11/12/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion