Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCaliLove
Mildew / Sour smell
    #2093156 - 11/11/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

All of my jars are contaminated with a smell of dry mildew some even have grey mold growing in them and some just smell sour. What would cause this I'm doing G2G transfers from two master qt jars. Growth seem to be ok no sign of anyhting but the good stuff in G1. No mildew smell. Today when starting G2 the smell that came for the jars was really bad so they were tossed. I used coffee filter on some and did not remove the tape on others but all seemed to be doomed. I using the red and white millet from WBS here is a link

I remember that I noticed a few of the jars when taken from the pressure cooker and the tape on the hole was melted and exposed would this cause the mildew from not property PCing? This time around I used better tape which dd not melt and I soaked the grain for about 24 hours and then PCed them but was unable to use them with the mildew smell present in G2. Also I'm using a homemade flow hood which has a HEPA air cleaner which pulls air in then blows in into a chamber and the pressure squeeze it past a second 3M 1250 HEPA filter 16X20 so i getting a positive flow of clean air. Could it be I did not soak the grain in G1 and endospores hatched and did not develop till G2?? WoW i have some many things which could be the problem please help. One more thing kinda had a smell of mushrooms in G1 jars thats a good thing right?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Mildew / Sour smell [Re: CaliLove]
    #2093772 - 11/11/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Change the brand or kind of the grain you're using.
Recheck your flow hood and clean it very well.
Pay attention to your own cloth and wash yourself very well, wear gloves and use a glove box if you are paranoid.
Think about possible mistakes when making the transfer.
Dispose infected jars.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Mildew / Sour smell [Re: CaliLove]
    #2107123 - 11/14/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Get some OUST Air Sanitizer, you can buy it probably anywhere. its supposed to kill 99.9 % of air born contaminants.

Also, before i mix any of my substrate or prepare anything. I stick it in the oven to kill any surface related contaminants, mildew and the like are probably such contaminants because of the fact that they start on the outside... Endospores would naturally have to be hatched via soaking.

Making sure your jars are clean, your transfer methods... washing your hands! Important!

But if it has to do with the other stuff as far as it being in the substsrate, i would put it in the oven for a little bit. Its worked nice for me every time :wink:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleCaliLove
Re: Mildew / Sour smell [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2108154 - 11/15/03 01:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thining bird seed is for the birds and going to start brf soon. Should be simpler. thanks for the input.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum