Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleguitarpah
Left shroomery forever
Male
Can I refigerate to stall fruiting?
    #2091746 - 11/11/03 08:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm in the midst of my first project. The problem is, the jars colonized faster than I expected and I might be gone on thanksgiving break (one week) during the fruiting phase. I was thinking of leaving them with a friend... but, NO. My mushies!! My Questions are

1) could i put the jars in a the fridge to stall them so they don't over colonize and fruit in vitro?

2) Could i put cakes that are in between flushes in the fridge to 'pause' the fruiting period, and would this hurt the cakes production?

I figured that the mcy would just view the drop in temp and humidity (they tend to go together)as a sesonal change and might halt their fruiting until temp and humidity rise again. Help me, please!!!!

--------------------
Can't deal with the stubborn and the ignorant.  Good bye to those who were cool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleguitarpah
Left shroomery forever
Male
Re: Can I refigerate to stall fruiting? [Re: guitarpah]
    #2091787 - 11/11/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

please someone offer some of your vast knowledge to this newbie! or a link... you know... whatever.

--------------------
Can't deal with the stubborn and the ignorant.  Good bye to those who were cool.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2091797 - 11/11/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

1) Yes you can.
2) At what point are your cakes? cause 1 week is not that much if you have an automated setup.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Can I refigerate to stall fruiting? [Re: Semilanceata]
    #2091890 - 11/11/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If the cakes are fully colonized then yes you can put them in the fridge to slow the pinning down...but if they are not fully colonised, you might end up inducing pinning on non-colonised cakes...which really sucks, cause when you birth them the contam rate goes through the roof...IMO i would wait till they are fully colonized THEN put them in the fridge to slow their growth and give them a nice cold shock so they are ready to pin when you remove them from the fridge...make sure your fridge is relativley clean though....as fridges are notoriously dirty.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisibleguitarpah
Left shroomery forever
Male
Re: Can I refigerate to stall fruiting? [Re: GregHimself]
    #2092018 - 11/11/03 10:47 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

in response to Semilanceata's #2. Theoretically, i would take a cake that has already produced a first flush and then put it in the fridge for a week. when i returned i would dunk it again and then put it back in the fruiting chamber. The only reason i hesitate to leave it in the fruiting chamber while i'm gone (ie not fridge it) is that i dont wanna lose a flush, or, wose yet, have my mushies decompose and invite contaminants. I figure, i bend over backwards for my little friends but to what extent can i make them conform to my schedule

Can i refrigerate between flushes to pause the fruiting? anyone tried it. I don't mind being the first

Ps thanks to all how helped me or will help in the future.. you guys are the best

--------------------

Offlinediacamomo
Children of theVortex

Loc: Inside My Mind
    #2092149 - 11/11/03 11:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

just live your jars in a dark place...

they will be ok...

--------------------

Invisibleguitarpah
Left shroomery forever
Male
Re: Can I refigerate to stall fruiting? [Re: diacamomo]
    #2092467 - 11/11/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

there's a thought but what about my once-flushed cakes?

--------------------

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2092580 - 11/11/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I never did, just try it. The lower the temps the slower the growth that?s all I can tell you.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Can I refigerate to stall fruiting? [Re: Semilanceata]
    #2093291 - 11/11/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It will stall growth and pinning. If you left it in the fridge long enough there's a chance that it'll pin. There's no exact number that can be given, though -- the cake decides when to pin, and it'll differ in each cake.

The fridge is usually a good idea if you're going away, unless it's the first flush, then you could just fruit in vitro without worrying about contamination.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix