Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation * 1
    #20909793 - 11/30/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Catha edulis is one of the entheogens that can be propagated via root sucker division. This basically means the plant will put out shoots at the base of the plant, these shoots end up sprouting roots and this makes making new plants quite easy. Here's a quick how to:

Best time is in spring or during the growing season. If you have an indoor set up then the newly planted suckers can be placed there to establish themselves. It's wise to water the plant and allow at least half an hour for the plant to take it in. This will ensure the shoots to be divided are well hydrated and will help limit any stress. I usually use a seaweed extract added to the water but there's many other products that do similar things. Use what you prefer.

You'll need a plant that has basal suckers like this:

Note the fresh shoots at the base of the plant, I'm holding one:

Now that you've found some suckers worth dividing it's time to dig down carefully to expose where they join the main plant. Note the roots on the shoots to be divided:

Get yourself a pair of sharp, sterilised secateurs or other suitable cutting device and cut the suckers below the roots as close to the main plant as possible and you'll end up with these:

Soil used to pot these into is basically 40/60 perlite/seed raising mix. The extra perlite opens the soil and helps root formation. Once potted they're watered with dilute seaweed extract to help limit stress and also to get rid of any air pockets around the root zone, which will dry them out. Misting the newly established cuttings will help keep them turgid until they're able to take up enough water for themselves. Once they can cease misting.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: karode13]
    #20909865 - 11/30/14 07:48 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

This is awesome kman. I have not even checked my bush for those. I know one of the branches was rubbing up against the ground and it had roots. I don't remember but there is a method to that bit mine was not intentional. Maybe tomorrow I'll check my plant.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: ferrel_human]
    #20909922 - 11/30/14 08:04 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Glad you found it useful. :sun:

If that branch still has roots then dig a trench, place the part with roots in the trench and cover with soil. Use a stone, brick, 'U' shaped wire to pin the branch down with so it stays covered with soil. In a month or so the roots will grow and you can cut the branch and pot it up as its own plant. I'm doing the same to one of my Red varieties.

--------------------

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #20909928 - 11/30/14 08:06 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

How do you think you got your catha ferrel;)
Yep,back when I had my little bush,this was the way I propagated her,and with great success too,especially when you get suckers with enough roots:thumbup:

Edited by kactus.brand.g (12/01/14 12:46 AM)

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #20912615 - 12/01/14 02:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kactus.brand.g said:
Yep,back when I had my little bush,this was the way I propagated her,and with great success too,especially when you get suckers with enough roots:thumbup:

That beautiful red one you gave me died but this one lives on in ground and is just getting bigger every year.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#20913089 - 12/01/14 04:12 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

For some reason my huge 5 yr old Catha doesn't produce rooted suckers, it seems I have the only Khat plant that doesn't do this. I've dug around it several times looking for anything even resembling a rooted sucker but to no avail.

--------------------

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #20913543 - 12/01/14 05:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Quote:

kactus.brand.g said:

That beautiful red one you gave me died but this one lives on in ground and is just getting bigger every year.

That's right!I totally forgot about that:facepalm:
Damn,you know,I can't even remember where I originally obtained that plant from:stoned:
I told you the story about the Saudi Arabian neighbor of my Grandpa's reaction when he saw my Catha didn't I?
Man,I miss that little red Beauty so:sad:

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: theMallacht]
    #20914413 - 12/01/14 08:24 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

theMallacht said:
For some reason my huge 5 yr old Catha doesn't produce rooted suckers, it seems I have the only Khat plant that doesn't do this. I've dug around it several times looking for anything even resembling a rooted sucker but to no avail.

First off Mall. I'm real sorry I haven't replied to your PM. You should know how useless I am at that by now. I'll get there.:blush:

What kind of khat do you have? Red or White? I find the Red's put out root suckers but not the White. Not sure if it's only me or other's experience this too. They're Two totally different plants if you compare them. Red's are also quite bitter and stringy, while the White's not so bitter and easy to chew.

The plant above originally came as a root sucker from GoOnThen.

--------------------

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #20914885 - 12/01/14 10:15 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Sweet info karode. Never knew cathar would throw out suckered like that, but then again, I don't have a bush that size either... I've done my fair share of reading on cathartic but never even heard of them having sicker until now.
How do they take to rooting from cuttings?

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

Edited by cowsRmeat (07/26/15 06:49 PM)

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #20914919 - 12/01/14 10:23 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

You must be using auto correct because your post is fun to read.:tongue2:

I hear some people have luck with cuttings. I tried doing a few and they didn't strike. I think one(red or white) roots from cuttings easier than the other, I'm not sure which off the top of my head though.

--------------------

InvisiblecowsRmeat
 User Gallery

#20914997 - 12/01/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

OMG yeah got a new phone and still haven't figured the damn thing out. Apparently I forgot how to proofread stuff too.

I may be getting catha and novo mixed up when it comes to ease of cuttings. Thought it might have been the catha that was supposed to take easily.

--------------------

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #20916119 - 12/02/14 09:13 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:

I hear some people have luck with cuttings. I tried doing a few and they didn't strike. I think one(red or white) roots from cuttings easier than the other, I'm not sure which off the top of my head though.

It's red brother:wink:

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#20916396 - 12/02/14 10:37 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
Quote:

theMallacht said:

First off Mall. I'm real sorry I haven't replied to your PM. You should know how useless I am at that by now. I'll get there.:blush:

What kind of khat do you have? Red or White? I find the Red's put out root suckers but not the White. Not sure if it's only me or other's experience this too. They're Two totally different plants if you compare them. Red's are also quite bitter and stringy, while the White's not so bitter and easy to chew.

The plant above originally came as a root sucker from GoOnThen.

No problem Karode, I know you're too busy for your friends, no biggie. :P :lol:

I believe I have the Red kind. Is the white kind the real light green colored, longer, more narrow-leaved kind?

--------------------

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #20918032 - 12/02/14 04:01 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I get that a lot. Fitting friends into my man of leisure lifestyle sometimes isn't easy. :poshdance:

It's mostly to do with me getting too many pm's that I can't be bothered to answer, sometimes I just like to read the forums and am sometimes too trashed to reply without embarrassing myself. Next thing there's 30 pm's to answer and some I read and forgot the fact I even did until a month later.:lol:

Quote:

kactus.brand.g said:

Quote:

karode13 said:

It's red brother;)

You were the one who had luck with cuttings yes?

--------------------

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #20918279 - 12/02/14 04:49 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Yes karode with roots and without roots:cool:
The suckers without roots were hit and miss though,but it can be done.
I also sent a bunch of non rooted red khat suckers out to a buddy of mine,and he had good success getting most of them to root as well:thumbup:

Invisiblenaum
 User Gallery

#20919446 - 12/02/14 08:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Regarding trees not producing suckers:

Is this in-ground or in-pot?

In either case what helps is actively agitating the roots. Use a long sharp thin knife/rod/sharp piece of steel and pierce the soil/ground near the base of the tree a few times.

Also feel free to layer or air-layer catha, I took photos to make a tek last year but I never got around to posting it. It works quite well.

I've had a lot of luck (>70%) with cuttings as long as they are taken at the right time.  I have a bunch that I just rooted in water and I'm ashamed to admit have neglected for months... They are doing well and are ready to pot up.

There is a PDF of an article from over 100 years ago with a really good description of how to take good cuttings over at SAB. I'll see if I can't find the link later.

Rooting hormone helps cuttings as does using a razor blade to make a cut instead of a crush. I like 4-6" cuttings from the tips. Give your catha at haircut the end of in the middle and end of the warm season unless you are going for a tree. They seem to do better and be healthier when pruned regularly. Hard to get a tree when trying IME anyway.

Suckers are 100% for me. Even when I flew home from over a 1000 miles away with a sucker that sat with it's roots wrapped in a damp and cold plastic bag for about a week.

--------------------
Let's upgrade our security practices and move toward client-side PGP for encrypted PMs.
My Public PGP Key: hxxps://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24002249#24002249

InvisiblecowsRmeat
 User Gallery

Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: naum]
    #20920441 - 12/02/14 11:13 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

They sure sound like some hardy little plants. Can't wait for my little one to start taking off in growth

--------------------

Offlinejerseyian
Friend
 User Gallery

Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: naum]
    #21219366 - 02/03/15 02:14 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you.  I was hoping someone would think of or remember all the other propagation techs.  Air layering,  soil layering and eve an airoponic cloning/rooting machines. Those work pretty darn well,  one just has figure optimal lighting for any certain  cutting.

--------------------
YEP  I AM TREE HUGGING HIPPIE
Have... several different prints.

Want to trade any ethnobotanical seeds? I have lots.

InvisiblecowsRmeat
 User Gallery

#22001313 - 07/26/15 06:51 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:

Hope this thread isn't too old to revive...

How old do the plants need to be to be able to tell if you have a Red or White variety? I see the redness in the leaves in your guide there, so I assume that is a Red variety.

Can I assume this is a White?

--------------------

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Khat, Catha edulis Root Sucker Propagation [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22001343 - 07/26/15 06:58 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'd be tempted to call it a White, but I've had plants like that that turn Red after getting older and being put in stronger light or harsher environments.

Do I see a weed in that pot?:eyeball:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck