Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Application & Execution!
    #2091130 - 11/11/03 02:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Rhythm, Intersection, Climax, Resolve, Repeat

Or more succinctly...

1) Lather
2) Rinse
3) Repeat

And never, ever, be afraid to "murder your darlings!" :wink:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleadrug

Re: Application & Execution! [Re: Papaver]
    #2091146 - 11/11/03 02:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I wish I had a clue of what you are rambling about, pap. :smile:

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Application & Execution! [Re: adrug]
    #2091178 - 11/11/03 02:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

In this case, painting, but it would apply music, writing, and sex, too -- any of the improvisational sports -- they're all the same... :wink:

I'm listening to old Velvet Underground (really loud), and working on some paintings, and that occurred to me, so I thought I'd share! :laugh:

I've gotten some good work done this past month, but I haven't had a chance to photo and upload yet -- hopefully, in the next day or two...

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#2091247 - 11/11/03 03:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My mind must be in the gutter then, because I instantly associated it with sex. :smirk: But I can see where it applies to other things as well...

I'll take this opportunity to share a quote I stole from a magazine interview with the artist I work for. He's a ceramics artist mainly, but you can apply it to anything really.

"Why worry about making a portfolio? No matter how hard you try to make a good portfolio, its the work that counts. You have to have good seed to grow a healthy plant. Let's worry about foundation and fundamental stuff. You have you center yourself first and then center the clay. All the rest will follow." - Jun Kaneko

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Application & Execution! [Re: adrug]
    #2091286 - 11/11/03 03:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That is true! As soon as you start to worry about the marketing aspects of your career (i.e. portfolio, exhibition histories, etc), the work suffers. It is a delicate balance... :smile:

I always try and remember the lessons of that generation who had too much, too soon -- the Neoexpressionists of the 1980's (Jean Michel Basquiat, Julian Schnabel, Eric Fischl , et al) -- they were having retrospectives at the Whitney, and selling canvases for $40,000 a pop, before they even mastered the fundamentals of painting, and I think (IMHO), as a generation, they really suffered because of it.

I mean Willem de Kooning didn't have his first one-man show until he was forty, and Robert Motherwell, in his seventies, on the occasion of his retrospective at the Whitney, spoke of having just learned the fundamentals of making a painting -- and these were true Twentieth Century Masters!

Those "art stars" of the hyper-inflated art market of the 1980s would have really benefitted from some career adversity and humility. I don't think they were really very well served by their premature success...

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM
ominous music

#2091287 - 11/11/03 03:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

/sm lights cigarette

was it as good for you,
as it was for me?

Art is a sexual act between observer and medium.
just as is the holographic multiverse.
the part contains the whole.

what does it mean to murder one's darlings?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Application & Execution! [Re: Middleman]
    #2091301 - 11/11/03 04:03 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

soundmind said:
Art is a sexual act between observer and medium.
just as is the holographic multiverse.
the part contains the whole. 

I've actually got some essays around here, somewhere, that I have written about art as a lustful, procreative, endeavor. I'll have to look for them sometime, and post them -- they are quite bizarre... :wink:

Quote:

what does it mean to murder one's darlings? 

To "murder one's darlings" is an old expression regarding the craft of writing. It means not to get hung up on small part of your larger work, which you may think is too beautiful to kill, but is actually destroying the larger work. The same can be applied to a nice passage of paint, or a nice melodic line in a musical composition. It, in itself, may be beautiful, but if it is hindering the overall work in progress, then you are better off to destroy it, and move on, for the good of the overall work. Sometimes it is necessary to make sacrifices, or if you want to make an omelet, then you need to break some eggs... :grin: 

--------------------

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2091347 - 11/11/03 04:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Do you have other kinds of art Papaver? Did you ever do other styles? Can we see some if you have?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Application & Execution! [Re: bert]
    #2091396 - 11/11/03 05:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Right now, it's mostly the black and white gestural field paintings. That was my strongest, and most exhibited, work before I stopped painting and the fire happened. There was a nice series of color field abstractions, but most of those burned up in the fire. The rest of my surviving work, of the past twenty years, is in storage in another state and in private collections. I think one of my ex-girlfriends pilfered my slide portfolio, so that's not really available... :wink:

I'm mostly concentrating on the work I'm doing right now and getting my "chops" back. This past month I have made a good transition from the purer gestural work into positive/negative-space shape interplay, which will be a good segue into the color field paintings that I'm moving back into in a month or two. I will probably post those at my site in a week's time. :smile:

I've had a good painting night, but I'm starting to feel tired, so I may go to bed, or not... :evil:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2091723 - 11/11/03 10:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

To "murder one's darlings" is an old expression regarding the craft of writing. It means not to get hung up on small part of your larger work, which you may think is too beautiful to kill, but is actually destroying the larger work. The same can be applied to a nice passage of paint, or a nice melodic line in a musical composition. It, in itself, may be beautiful, but if it is hindering the overall work in progress, then you are better off to destroy it, and move on, for the good of the overall work. Sometimes it is necessary to make sacrifices, or if you want to make an omelet, then you need to break some eggs...

As a songwriter, I plan to take the songs that don't quite complement my style and sell them off to other artists.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Application & Execution! [Re: silversoul7]
    #2091934 - 11/11/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
As a songwriter, I plan to take the songs that don't quite complement my style and sell them off to other artists. 

Yeah, you could simutaneously make all the music for fifty different pop bands and get rich, just like that fat black guy does. I find it really hilarious when that black guy makes the music for both bands that are suspossedly competing with each other.. :grin:

Those little pieces of music or ideas that just don't fit should probably be saved, you never know when they will either work out or inspire something entirely new.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2093838 - 11/11/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

RAblle Rabble?! Dabilee Doo Dibidee Da... baba du... Jama Tra! Jas paint? MAN is FAINT! Paint pain paint paint paint... Haha!  :laugh:

whats he looking at?  :grin:

--------------------
What?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media